13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 3:51 AM by zat7583069

How to batch add intro and banner?

Ben Tristem Level 1

I have about 40 video files for a course I've just produced (http://www.MasteringSocialSales.com), and I would like to...

1. Add a different title slide to each one, preferably by just listing the titles in a files or somewhere.
      2. Add a footer banner to all videos

I could do this manually, but I'm looking for a consistent, automated, batch process. I think After Effects may do it, I was wondering what my options are?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm sure there is some scripts on AEScripts et al, but well, for just 40 clips you could spend more time looking them up and getting them to work in the way you want than actually generate time savings from using them. You're really over-complicating this. A watermark/ banner could easily be just a pre-comp that is used throughout your 40 other comps and the same would be true for any text slates/ plaques. the only thing that would then change is the actual text and it shouldn't be too much trouble to copy&paste its position every time and make it look pretty...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Mylenium makes a great point: sometimes it takes longer to find a time-saving way to things in AE than it takes to just do it using tried-and-true methods.

• 3. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would create the artwork for your 40 graphics in Photoshop, Illustrator or as a new AE comp. If created in Photoshop or Illustrator you can add all 40 graphics to the AE project Panel, select them all and then select Create Comp From Selection and Individual comps.

If you need to animate the graphics then create and save an Animation Preset for the first comp. From there it is a simple thing to select the footage layer in your other comps and apply the animation preset. You can even use the keyboard shortcut to do so.

Now Render these intros, or add your 40 edited videos to AE and simply nest the intros as a comp or edit the intros to the 40 videos in Premiere Pro. Once the original animation is completed and the animation preset made it would take less than an hour do set all the rest up.

• 4. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                zat7583069 Level 1

I have similar question but have 500 music videos. Need to add artist, song name, publisher to all videos. Font&Background remains the same on all videos, only text itself changes.

• 5. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

This sounds like a job for Photoshop (for the text) and a nonlinear editor (to add the text in real time).

• 6. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                    zat7583069 Level 1

Thanks Dave, so how you think i could do it, which nonlinear editor, in what way ? Yeah, text in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd probably pick Premiere since you probably have it.

Add the video & audio on the bottom layer.  Add the text & background on the layer(s) above.  Add dissolves as necessary.  Export using Adobe Media Encoder to delivery specifications.

You still have 500 videos to do.  It's GOING to take a long time.  No way around it.

• 8. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                        zat7583069 Level 1

Actually its 500 at the moment, in next few weeks will be around 4000. There has to be some kind of batch processing for this ?

Everything except the text stays the same, and some kind of command/script pulls text that changes from txt, csv, xml file or whatever for each video.

• 9. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?

After Efects is the wrong program try to do this with four thousand titles.

I don't have a link that there are specific programs designed to do exactly what you want.

That said, you ought to be able to write a script that would pull metadata from a file and turned it into a title overlay. Even if you could you wouldn't be a very good idea or a very efficient process to render 4000 different shots and aftereffects unless they were only a few seconds long. The current render situation in AE is just too slow to crank out 4000 five or ten minute videos.

• 10. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Four THOUSAND???  You'll go nuts!

• 11. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                              zat7583069 Level 1

Text runs for 2-3 sec max. Its for music TV channel, music videos. Only text needed to be displayed is "artists, song name, publisher", standard signature for all music videos.

I could live with just having text without any background as long as it gets the job done if other settings are to hard to set up.

Biggest problem is now when the channel is starting, all videos are unsigned, thats why i need bulk solution.

• 12. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?

Look for a solution that uses meta data from the videos and then go through the metadata and make sure it's right. This project could have used some pre-production planning.

• 13. Re: How to batch add intro and banner?
                                  zat7583069 Level 1

I agree Rick. I was assured that playout softwares would be able to use metadata with background added, but it turned out to be extremely hard process. Way easier is to do each one manually in Premiere or Effects, still way to much work for this amount of videos.

ffmpeg could be the solution, still have to test it throughly.