25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 12:22 PM by Steve Grisetti

Problem with audio in PE8

haynesgeoff

Using W7 64 bit and PE8. I import a clip, double click it and it plays fine. When I put it into the timeline the audio becomes very quiet and echoes. Help please?

• 1. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What format is this audio file? Ideally, you should only use WAV audio files in Premiere Elements.

Where did this audio file come from? Was it created by a program and, if so, which program?

When you play the file on your timeline with Tools/Audio Mixer open, does it register on the audio meters?

And, finally, when you place the clip on your timeline, does the waveform look strong, weak -- or does it only appear on the upper or lower half of the clip?

• 2. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

It's part of a .VOB file and taken from a DVD.

I can't find Tools/Audio Mixer (not even Tools).

The waveform looks fairly weak for the most part though it is the same on both halves. The music and backgroung are fine - it just seems to be the speech which is affected.

I have done this many times before and have never come across this problem.

Many thanks for your interest.

Geoff

• 3. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

In version 8, the Audio Mixer is opened by clicking on the Audio Tools button in the upper left of the Timeline.

If the audio on the clip is registering way below -6 on the Audio Mixer meter, try normalizing it. To do this, right-click on the clip on your timeline and select Normalize. Normalize should increase the audio level (and the size of the waveform on your timeline) to a more "normal" level.

If that doesn't work, please attach a screen capture of your timeline showing that clip to your next post. If I can see it, I can more likely figure out what's up.

• 4. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

There's an Audio Tools button on the right above the timeline. If I choose Smart Mix and Apply I get "Missing audio in foreground or background track." It registers at about -30 on both and I can't Normalise it. See below.

This is puzzling as it plays OK when I double click on the clip in Organise.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

• 5. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

Yes, that's definitely a weak audio channel. Which is a surprise since this movie appears to have been ripped from a commercial DVD. If that's the case, you may be crossing swords with some copy protection software built into the disc -- and there may be no way around that other than cracking this software

That said, have you tried Normalizing the audio, as I suggested above?

By the way, I suggested you check your audio level by opening the Audio Mixer, not the Smart Mixer. Smart Mix only works if you've got more than one track of audio. The Audio Mixer opens up the program's audio meters.

• 6. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                    haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

You're correct - this is from a commercial DVD. I tried Normalising and have just tried again but it has no noticeable effect.

The levels in Audio Mixer are the same ie about -30 at best for speech. When there's music, this is between -12 and -6

I don't understand why it's telling me there's missing audio when it plays perfectly in WMP - and in PE8 when I click on the clip in Organise.

Your time is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Geoff

• 7. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

As I said, you may be dealing with a copy protection issue. Technically you're NOT supposed to be ripping and editing commercial DVDs. It's illegal. Even if it's just for "personal use".

But assuming copy protection isn't the issue, try this. Right-click on the clip and select Normalize. But, once you open this Audio Gain panel, rather than clicking on automatic Normalize button, manually type in a value of, say, 10 db. Then click OK. See if that bring the gain level up in your clip to a noticeable degree.

• 8. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                        haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

I don't get a Normalise option when right clicking the clip. However I have put in 10 Db but it had no effect.

I think things may be different in US to UK - it's OK to backup DVDs here.

I don't understand how but think you may be right about copyright protection. I'll see if I can process the clip to bypass this.

• 9. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

If you can't change the Audio Gain by increasing it to 10 db, then something is up with the original clip -- possibly based on the fact that you are trying to edit a copy protected video.

What method did you use to get the video from the DVD to your computer? Are you just working on raw .VOB files, or did you use the tools in Premiere Elements to rip the video from the disc?

• 10. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

I use 1 Click DVD copy to put the files on my PC. It creates a .VOB file with VTS_01_1 etc.

As I said, I have done this many times before without problems - maybe the copyright protection has improved! I think I'll have to admit defeat. I could download it from iTunes for a reasonable cost or just wait for it to be on TV again.

Many thanks again for all your efforts.

All the best

Geoff

• 11. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

I can't speak for 1 Click DVD, and I've no idea why it has worked but doesn't work now.

But try putting the DVD in your computer's disc driver and using Premiere Elements' Add Media/From DVD Camera or Computer Drive to rip the video from the disc to your computer. Most likely if you use Premiere Elements for the process rather than a third-party product, you won't have this audio issue. Unless it's something in the way the disc's copy protection works that causing it.

Remember that products like 1 Click DVD are designed primarily to convert your DVD into a video that you can watch your iPad, smartphone or other portable device. Their primary purpose is not to create editable video.

• 12. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

Tried that and got several files most of which were described as Audio but none contained any sound.

I don't want to take up any more of your time as I think I'm a lost cause so many thanks once again

Geoff

• 13. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

Sorry I can't be of more help, Geoff.

But I don't think it's a lost cause. In in the screen capture of your timeline that you posted, I do see something faint on the audio track. I still think you can bring that up by increasing the audio gain. But whether that will solve your problem or not is hard to say.

• 14. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                    Kemal çinar

Mediadaki filmde ses olduğu halde timeline'de ses yok . Ne yapmam lazım. lütfen   kml.cinar@Hotmail.com

• 15. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

I tried increasing the gain but it increased the music/background without seeming to affect the speech. If I do happen to find a solution, I'll let you know but I didn't think I'l spend much more time on it.

Your help is very much appreciated.

• 17. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

You're talking about the music from your DVD, right?

If increasing the gain is making the movie's music louder without making the dialog louder, then the audio that you've ripped from your DVD is not the master audio track. Your DVD ripping software has either grabbed one of the audio tracks in which the music dominates or it has poorly combined the 5.1 audio into a stereo track.

Have you tried ripping the video/audio from the DVD using Premiere Elements, as I recommended earlier in this thread? Most likely it will resolve this issue.

• 18. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                          haynesgeoff Level 1

Yes, the music from the DVD.

I've tried another software with the same result.

Tried using PE and got several files most of which were described as Audio but none contained any sound and none of the others had any video.

Geoff

• 19. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                            haynesgeoff Level 1

I should have said that, when I try to import a clip obtained using PE, I get:

Untitled-1.jpg

Geoff

• 20. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

Are you saying you got this message when you put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and used Get Media/From Camcorder of PC DVD Drive to open the Media Downloader and then used the Media Downloader to rip the video from your disc?

• 21. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                                haynesgeoff Level 1

NO. After putting the DVD in ther computer's disc drive and using Get Media/From Camcorder of PC DVD Drive to open the Media Downloader and then using the Media Downloader to rip the video from the dis,? I get a similar message. Then when trying to put the clip into PE I get this one.

• 22. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

That should not happen, Geoff. Unless you're running into the copy protection issue I've been talking about throughout this thread.

Try the process with a home-burned DVD as a test just to see if it works. It should.

• 23. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                                    haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

That worked perfectly so I guess you're right about copy protection. I just don't understand why I've never had this problem before. I always back up my DVDs and then never play the originals.

Once again thanks for all your efforts.

Geoff

• 24. Re: Problem with audio in PE8
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kemal cinar

Please start you own new thread. When you post in the busy thread of another, your post can get overlooked for troubleshooting which I think it did.

In your own new thread, please post version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what computer operating system it is running.

Also include as much details as you can about your project - source media properties, project settings, etc.

We will be watching for your new thread describing in detail your Premiere Elements audio issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Problem with audio in PE8

Glad we found our way to the core of the problem, Geoff -- even if, technically, it doesn't resolve your issue.