4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2017 10:34 AM by jazztomato

relinking media

robintech

the drive with my media on it was damaged. I was able to transfer the files, but the project does not recognize them in their new location. is there any way to batch relink the entire project?relink

• 1. Re: relinking media
          A.T. Romano Level 7

robintech

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you getting "Where is the file....?" mesages when you try to go to re-open saved/closed projects? If so, you use those messages to reconnect the the source media to the project "one by one" responding to each of the messages with a named missing file. If you get lucky, the process may reconnect more than one by one spontaneously. No guarantees. Just hopeful expectations.

Alternatively, you could use the Replace Footage way for the media to project reconnect. The project does not know where the media are. You need to tell it where they are based on knowing where they actually are and exist.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: relinking media
            robintech Level 1

I am using elements 12. I did get the "Where is the file....?" messages, and was able to re-link that way. I was fortunate as it did seem to re-link some similar files spontaneously. Unfortunately, I had some files with the same file names, but only had to replace two clips in the end.

Thanks for your prompt response.

• 3. Re: relinking media
              A.T. Romano Level 7

robintech

Great news that your project and source media reconnects went well. This type of issue be very challenging. Great job.

Moving forward and as the need arises to avoid project and source media disconnects, you might explore the use of the Premiere Elements Project Archiver and its Archive and Copy options.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

What you import into Premiere Elements are only copies of the originals on the computer hard drive, and these copies in Project Assets must trace back to the originals at the hard drive save location where the originals were at the time of import.

Thanks for the follow up.

Best wishes

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: relinking media
                jazztomato Level 1

ATR

At your suggestion I am archiving a recent project. Over the months I have had to re-link multiple times - very stressful. I can't put my finger on the reason this happens as I am vigilant about naming/organizing/sourcing.

Does archiving mean that in the future I can re-establish links by using the archived folder somehow?

Thank you. ...Susan V