11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 11:46 AM by A.T. Romano

Asking for Disc and/or file?

Edwin Cleveland

While working through Lessons #10 thru #12, the program is looking for a file and\or a hard disc??

• 1. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Lessons #10 thru #12

What does that mean... lessons in what?

If a book, have you checked the website of the book publisher?

• 2. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
            Edwin Cleveland Level 1

Using the Adobe Premier Elements 12 Classroom In A Book, I started working through Lesson #09 and received a message that the program was looking for "\Device\Harddisk3|DR3".  The message asked if I wanted to Cancel, Try-Again, or Continue?  Once I hit Cancel (10-15 times) enough the message went away and I could continue with the Lesson (The Lesson downloaded and I could work through it).  I wasn't as lucky with Lesson 10, Elements 12 locked up and quit working.  I tried Lesson 12 with the same result as Lesson 10, Elements 12 locked up.

To the best of my knowledge, I downloaded ALL Lesson files from Peach Pit Press the book publisher.

Edwin G. Cleveland

[personal information removed to foil spam bots... JTS]

• 3. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Edwin Cleveland

Please do not include contact information in your post to avoid nuisances. I will try to alert a moderator to that information so that it can be removed for your advantage.

The Classroom in Book Series has long had problems with its files and the publisher of that book often posts corrections at its web site. Using the publisher contact information in your book, have you attempted to contact the publisher for a list of corrected files?/

ATR

• 4. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                Edwin Cleveland Level 1

Not as of yet. That was my next step. I will contact Peach Pit tomorrow & check for up dates. Worst case, I will learn as I create my own movies, DVD's, etc.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Edwin Cleveland

Thanks for the reply.

Please update us your progress when you get a chance.

This all may relate to the way that you are downloading and transferring the files to the computer rather than corrupt files. I do not have that book to compare notes on that. The publisher's input should give us good direction on troubleshooting the matter.

ATR

• 6. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                    Edwin Cleveland Level 1

ATR,

Okay.  I have contacted the book publisher and am currently trying to work through the problem with them.  I have relayed the problem I am having and have received some questions that I have responded to.  I am currently waiting on either potential solutions, additional information requests, and/or questions.

However, here is some more information on the message that I am receiving:  Message Box containing the Following;

First Line:          Adobe Premier Elements.exe - No Disk

Second Line:     There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert disk into drive

Third Line:         \Device\Harddisk3\DR3

Button Options:  "Cancel" - "Retry" - "Continue"

So far, the only Lessons that this message has occurred have been Lessons 10 & 12.  All other Lessons have been loaded with No Problems and/or messages...  I have deleted the Lessons and downloaded the files again and entered them into my Lesson Folder.  Same problem - Same Lessons.  I will relay this info onto the publisher and see what feedback I get from them and let you know.

EGC

• 7. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

EGC

Thanks for the follow up and organized information.

The information that this issue targets only the Lessons 10 and 12 speaks to this being a publisher issue. But, we will keep an open troubleshooting mind until the publisher checks out the situation on its side.

Did you install Premiere Elements 12 from installation files from a purchased download from Adobe or from an installation disc that came with the box packaging of Premiere Elements 12?

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 8. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                        Edwin Cleveland Level 1

ATR

I bought the "Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 & Adobe Premier Elements 12" box set with an installation disc.  Since I purchased the box set from Best Buy, I went onto the Adobe Web Site, entered a Redemption Code and received (2) Serial numbers.  I inserted the disc that came with the box set, entered the (2) serial numbers when asked and installed the software.

Before I bought the box set, I checked to make sure the software was compatible with my Windows 7 64-bit operating system and the NVIDIA GeForce video card.  As best as I could tell from reading the end panel on the box, the software is compatible with my Desk Top PC.

EGC

• 9. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

EGC

Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements 12 are both compatible with Windows 7 64 bit and such should be the case for a NVIDIA GeForce video card. There is a known issue with NVIDIA GeForce which is specific to Premiere Elements 10. So, your program installation should be just fine.

There is a known \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 type issue with Premiere Elements versions earlier than 12 related to the SmartSound feature. But that should not apply to you since Premiere Elements 12 does not have the SmartSound feature, instead a non SmartSound Music Score feature.

So, from the point of view of those Lessons files and the \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 message, the problem seems to be pointing to the book resources. I asked about an installation disc as part of a check list related to any possible discs associated with the program/project.

Thanks for the background information. Looking forward to further developments.

ATR

• 10. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                            Edwin Cleveland Level 1

ATR

At this point, I am going to abandon the "Classroom in a Book" Lessons and just start using both Photoshop and Premier Elements 12 and learn as I use both Programs.  I just hope that the Lessons' issues haven't corrupted my Elements 12 software installation??!!!

I have both Photoshop & Premier Elements 9 on an XP machine BUT that PC is no longer connected to the internet.  Shortly after I bought the software (2009±), I worked through the Lessons (CD included with the Adobe Book) for Photoshop Elements 9 with NO problems. I feel reasonably comfortable with Photoshop Elements but did not do anything, at the time, with Premier Elements 9.  I have encountered a problem with Elements 9 (A message that a program has attempted to access the C++ Library incorrectly) that has SEROUSLY impacted my ability to use the software.  Since XP is now officially an obsolete program, I bought Elements 12 and installed it onto my newer Windows 7 PC which has an internet connection (I am currently communicating with you on this PC).

I will let you know my progress with my "Self-taught" lessons.  Or worse, if there are corruption issues with the Elements 12 software installation.

EGC

• 11. Re: Asking for Disc and/or file?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

EGC

You should do just fine.

I have a blog post for Premiere Elements 12 First Look as well as one for Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries. If you have time,

please check them out to determine if they will help you as your progress through the program.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look-details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR