7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 9:48 AM by edenjaeger

Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page naming?

the elricky
      When exporting a set of linked "Pages" to HTML, I was getting an "internal error" and an incomplete set of pages.

It would have been nice to get a more informative error message, but I found an Adobe Technote recommending repairing permissions. This did not help, so I went about recreating the file a little at a time and testing.

Turns out that the likely cause was my page naming.
      Some of my names included colons ( : ), which, while happily accepted by Firework's Pages menu, do NOT work in URLs. So Fireworks was choking on the colons.

As soon as I renamed the Pages with underscores instead of colons, they exported correctly.

Firefox should have given me some warning about the names or not allowed them in the first place, because many people will not know what characters are / aren't acceptable in URLs.

Fireworks CS3 | Mac OS X 10.4.9
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page   naming?
          Level 7
          In general ALL special characters with the exception of _ or - should be
          avoided in file names for images and web pages and other assets like
          flash movies. In my web design intro class, this is the first thing I
          point out, because it's one of the first things that can trip you up.

This is not a failing of Firefox or Fireworks for that matter. FW is not
          a web page authoring program; it's a web/screen graphics app and
          prototyping package package, never intended to produce a full and proper
          professional level web site.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

the elricky wrote:
          > When exporting a set of linked "Pages" to HTML, I was getting an "internal
          > error" and an incomplete set of pages.
          >
          > It would have been nice to get a more informative error message, but I found
          > an Adobe Technote recommending repairing permissions. This did not help, so I
          > went about recreating the file a little at a time and testing.
          >
          > Turns out that the likely cause was my page naming.
          > Some of my names included colons ( : ), which, while happily accepted by
          > Firework's Pages menu, do NOT work in URLs. So Fireworks was choking on the
          > colons.
          >
          > As soon as I renamed the Pages with underscores instead of colons, they
          > exported correctly.
          >
          > Firefox should have given me some warning about the names or not allowed them
          > in the first place, because many people will not know what characters are /
          > aren't acceptable in URLs.
          >
          > Fireworks CS3 | Mac OS X 10.4.9
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page   naming?
            the elricky Level 1
            [Oops, in my original message, I meant to say "Fireworks" in all instances, not "Firefox."]

That's right, Fireworks is not a dedicated a web page authoring program, and that's one of the sources of confusion. While the Pages menu is intended to be used in web prototyping, it's not clear what set of rules one should follow when naming the "pages," which are something of a new paradigm. On one hand, they can be thought of as web "pages." On the other, they can be thought of as layer groups. If I had a third hand, I might think of them as states.

Being familiar with Photoshop layers, I assumed that all names are fair game and had no reason to think otherwise. If it were clearer that the Fireworks page names would become actual *file names* and not page titles, then I would have used URL-friendly names.

If Fireworks is not a web page authoring program, then why should I be expected to follow web page authoring conventions when naming it's layer-like "pages?" At the least there should be a warning, or a more informative error message.

This is indeed a failing of Fireworks. By being vague about what the rules are in regards to naming pages, Fireworks creates a situation in which the user can do something (bad naming) that will cause the application to fail to accomplish a task (export). Following the error, it does not tell the user what caused the error, which allows them to repeat it.

In Dreamweaver's Files window, when you try to name a file with illegal characters, it doesn't let you, and tells you why:
            File names cannon contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? < > |

This is excellent: Dreamweaver prevents me from making a stupid mistake and tells me what I can do to not make the mistake again. Fireworks CS3, in contrast, watches while I goof up, then gives me no clue as to what happened, requiring me to spend hours retracing my steps to find the cause of the error.

So please, Fireworks CS3, borrow Dreamweaver's error message and use it in the Pages window.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page     naming?
              Level 7
              I agree, that error message isn't much use. But perhaps, if anything,
              perhaps it's the help files that let you down. I have used FW for
              creating layouts and slicing images for years, so it's common practice
              to me to know that slice object names should not have special characters
              (because these names turn into file names on export) so I just
              naturally migrated that process to pages. I really don't think it's the
              application's job to watch out for this kind of error.

I did a check in the FW help files and from what I could find, there is
              no mention of proper naming conventions for exported html. But again,
              making web pages is not FW's primary goal.

Remember too that Pages are a new feature to FW CS3. While we would all
              love it if everything was added and worked perfectly and didn't need any
              tweaking, it's just not possible in a single dev cycle to make
              everything perfect.

There are enough similarities between FW's bitmap toolset and PS's that
              people new to FW often compare the two app's. This does neither of them
              justice. Work flow is just different in each. Fireworks has
              significantly better vector tools and can create much leaner exported
              graphics for the web than PS. The new prototyping features are a great
              and IMO much needed set of tools.

Conversely, you won't find me working on 50 MB files or retouching the
              front cover of a fashion magazine in FW. I love the new Quick Select
              tool in PS, for example.

Each app has its own strengths and weaknesses.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page     naming?
                the elricky Level 1
                Yes, I do think the prototyping features are very useful, despite that slight obstacle (in my initial frustration, I forgot to say that). I found the Pages feature excellent for quickly linking together a set of screen images as a clickable site mockup.

I should add that I'm coming to Fireworks as someone who is used to working with Photoshop and ImageReady as an image creation / optimization duo. FW was never a part of my workflow before, but with IR no longer part of the CS package, I'm looking to FW as an IR replacement who is tight with Dreamweaver.

Of course FW has its own history and set of strengths and weaknesses, but with CS3 there will probably be many FW newbies who, like me, carry ImageReady baggage: some grieving, some resentment, old conventions, a "show me you're worthy" attitude. I really wanted to have a smooth experience with the much-touted Pages feature, so the mysterious error was pretty frustrating.

FWIW, in Photoshop, should you be absent-minded enough to use "illegal" characters in slice names, the app accepts them, but then dutifully outputs the HTML and images while quietly renaming the slices so that they're URL-safe.

Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who had the problem, but if I'm not, hopefully this thread will be enlightening.
                • 5. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page naming?
                  Level 1
                  the elricky -

Thanks for the feedback. We'll make sure we make this workflow more user friendly like you mentioned!
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page naming?
                    the elricky Level 1
                    Awesome! Thanks for listening, Alan.
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks CS3 Pages export internal error from Page naming?
                      edenjaeger
                      I get Fireworks internal errors all the time and the filename is definitely NOT the cause...I have experimented with and without special characters and the error doesn't stop. I don't really know how to fix it other than re-installing Fireworks from time to time or seemingly getting lucky. Hard to say really, just crap software in the end I guess.