6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 10:46 AM by Dave LaRonde

Video playback speed in After Effects

Eiss

After importing QuickTime video into After Effects it plays back at about half (or even slower) the initial frame rate (13 fps or so instead of 29.97 fps). Also in the top right corner of the workspace (Info Panel) I'm getting a message that "...Layer 1 Retrieving Frame".

Could you, please, give me an advise how to return video playback to normal speed?

Thank you.

Vasily

• 1. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects
          bogiesan Level 4

Depends on many factors like the size of your movie and the codec in use and where in AE--in what window--you're trying to see this movie at full speed but, to get to the core of your question, AE is not a movie player.

• 2. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you doing a RAM preview or are you just pressing spacebar? Hint: don't press spacebar; I don't know anybody who works professionally with AE who uses the spacebar to start playback.

If you are trying to use After Effects as if it is an editing program, you are using it incorrectly. Premiere is for editing videos and, as such, it plays back video real-time. After Effects is a pixel-based compositor and it is not really set up for real-time playback.

• 3. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects

If you're new to After Effects, please do yourself a huge favor and start here: Getting started with After Effects

AE is not like any other software out there. Getting a solid foundation in how AE works will prevent a lot of frustration for you.

• 4. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects
                Eiss Level 1

Many thanks for the answers.

Sure, After Effects isn't a movie player. But it is possible to edit source footage in AE in order to make a coherent whole out of it, isn't it?

I'd like to make some animated titles to the video (five minutes one second at 29.97 fps, 1920x1080, 50 MBit/sec, H.264) I've made recently in iMovie, whose title-making capabilities are quite limited.

• 5. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects

Eiss wrote:

Sure, After Effects isn't a movie player. But it is possible to edit source footage in AE in order to make a coherent whole out of it, isn't it?

Technically possible, but not an ideal workflow. I can also cut through my filet mignon with a spoon, but I can do it a lot faster and with much less frustration if I use my steak knife.

I edit in Premiere and then use the Import>Adobe Premiere Pro Project option in After Effects to bring my edit into AE.

• 6. Re: Video playback speed in After Effects
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Eiss wrote:

But it is possible to edit source footage in AE in order to make a coherent whole out of it, isn't it?

Theoretically, yes.  But I can only think of one other application that's worse for video editing: Microsoft Word.

iMovie is a toy.  If you have AE, the chances are pretty good that you also have Premiere Pro.  Use that and your life gets better.