3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 1:15 PM by D Fosse

My colors are off in one Photoshop, but not another.

eyodius

I'm illustrating a book and working at both home and the office. At work, my Photoshop CS5 shows the correct colours, but when I export the file in any way, or open it up on my home version of Photoshop CS6, the colours show up much redder and vibrant! FinderScreenSnapz001.png

The left are the colours that they are supposed to be, and the right is what I see at home and whenever I try to export the left.

I think it must be some preset in my CS5, since I've gotten the picture on the right both times. I've tried messing with the color management, but I can't figure it out. Could someone please help me? I can't continue on my book knowing the colors are wrong.

• 1. Re: My colors are off in one Photoshop, but not another.
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, just to rule it out, make sure you have the same color settings. The really important thing is to have Color Management Policies set to "preserve embedded profiles". With this setting, the embedded document profile (whatever it is) will be correctly handled and displayed on both systems.

But I'm more inclined to think you have a broken display profile on your work machine, especially if only Photoshop seems affected. Photoshop is likely the only application that actually uses the display profile.

All this assuming you don't have a wide gamut monitor, which changes the playing field a bit.

Anyway. To test the display profile, set sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 as display profile in Control Panel > Color Manangement > Devices (Adobe RGB if wide gamut monitor). Relaunch Photoshop so that it can pick up the new profile at startup.

display_profile_4.png

Do this on both machines. If they now display more or less the same, that's definitive confirmation. The real fix is to make a new profile with a calibrator, but if you don't have one, just use sRGB until you do.

• 2. Re: My colors are off in one Photoshop, but not another.
            eyodius Level 1

That worked wonderfully! I'll make sure my computer at home is using the same display profile after work. Now I can colour correct my files!

Thank you so much!!

• 3. Re: My colors are off in one Photoshop, but not another.
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome .

This is in fact a very common issue. Monitor/laptop manufacturers who really should know better keep pushing these bogus profiles onto unsuspecting users, often through Windows Update. I have no idea why they keep doing that, or why Microsoft allows it.

As I said - if you don't have a calibrator, just use sRGB. You're much better off with that.