1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 5:18 PM by jbowden

I can't target a playing symbol to get it to stop.

RoryLS1981

Okay, I'm working on a school project. I basically have a character gallery where when I click on a character thumbnail, it will pull up their picture and information.

I'm trying to set it up so that when I click on a character thumbnail, that character has its own music playing as well.

The problem is, when I click on a second character, I can't get the first character's music to stop playing.

So for the character2 thumbnail, I open up its actions panel and paste this code in:

var mySymbolObject = sym.getSymbol("Character1Music");

mySymbolObject.stop();

var mySymbolObject2 = sym.getSymbol("Character2Music");

mySymbolObject2.play();

I do this because I want the music for character1 to stop.

But when I click on the thumbnail for character2, while the music for character2 starts, the music for character1 doesn't stop!

• 1. Re: I can't target a playing symbol to get it to stop.
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

Stopping a symbol won't stop any audio element in it that's also playing - in that respect, audio elements are similar to  child symbols. Instead, specifically tell the audio element to also stop playing, like so:

var mySymbolObject = sym.getSymbol("Character1Music");

mySymbolObject.stop(); // this stops the symbol playback

mySymbolObject.$("your_audio_element").pause(); // this stops the audio element playback. Substitute the name of your audio element

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful