3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 11:28 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I use 3d motion vector with Timewarp effect

AndyMac1

Hello.

I've been using 3DS max and after effects together for a while now and have never been able to use 3D motion vectors from 3DS max to create motion blur in after effects. From what I can gather I export 3D motion vectors from 3DS max using the mental ray motion vector export as a .exr. In after effects i apply time warp to the beauty pass and in the 'warp layer' drop down i select the motion vector pass. But not a lot happens! What happens is that the beauty pass is replaced with the motion vector pass and no motion blur.

Has anyone had any luck with exporting motion vectors from 3ds max and using timewarp, warp layer, to create motion blur?

Cheers

• 1. Re: How do I use 3d motion vector with Timewarp effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Timewarp never has had any option to use external motion vectors, so the whole approach makes no sense. You completely misunderstand. You need Revision FX RSMB Pro.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How do I use 3d motion vector with Timewarp effect
            AndyMac1 Level 1

Hi Mylenium.

I apologise for creating a question that appears to make no sense. Although your assuming I have not considered RSMB I can assure you that it was the most obvious choice to take, but is also at the cost of a one off and annual expense. I'm assuming other may jump to the same conclusion, so to avoid this I should point yourself and others in the direction of the after effects help section about timewarp using the following link

After Effects Help | Time effects

Refer to the time warp section, and look under the heading 'Warp Layer' you will find the following sentence

"Warp LayerAllows you to warp the layer to which the effect is applied by applying the motion vectors from the layer that you choose."

Now unless this is out of date, it's pretty clear in stating that motion vectors can be used in the timewarp effect which is what lead me to asking the original question.

Has anyone had any luck with exporting motion vectors from 3ds max and using timewarp, warp layer, to create motion blur?

Andy

• 3. Re: How do I use 3d motion vector with Timewarp effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The warp layer uses the motion of the pixels in that layer not a 3D vector map. Different idea entirely. Experiment with the effect and you'll see what it does.