8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 10:18 AM by Nlwest

Object Style override will not clear

Nlwest User Group Manager

I'm in InDesign CS6, upgrading documents from CS5, Windows 7 operating system. I have a group of frames stored in libraries in CS5 where the object style has an override that is applied coming out of the library in CS6. The override cannot be cleared, through any of the several spots you can click to clear override. The override is specific to the Text Frame Baseline Options (First Baseline Offset). There is no override when placed in CS5. None of these object styles are based on another object style.

6-5-2014 2-50-20 PM.jpg

There are several object styles this is happening with, but they all meet the same criteria:

• The object style setting for Text Frame Baseline Options > First Baseline > Offset is anything other than LEADING (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height)
      • The override forces the text in the frame to display as if the object style attribute is set for LEADING, but when I open the Object Style, it clearly shows the Baseline Option I expect (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height)

I cannot clear the override using any of the available clear methods (alt-click to clear, panel menu > clear overrides, clear overrides from the menu bar). I can get the override to clear by doing one of the following, but it doesn't work long-term because if I place it back in the library, delete the object style in the document so it won't be used,  and bring it back out of the library, the object style again shows the same unclearable override when any of these three methods are used:

• If I select Redefine the style, the override does disappear, and LEADING appears at the option (aha, as I suspected, even though it said different, it really thought it was supposed to be Leading). I can now change it back to the setting it was before (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height).
      • I can also click another object style to clear the override, then again select the object style I want again, and it applies it without an override and with the Baseline Option I expect (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height).
      • Select Break Link to Style, then reapply the object style. It displays correctly without an override and with the Baseline Option I expect (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height).

I don't believe this is any corruption or problem with the documents, because I can recreate it with new styles and new documents.

• Open CS5. Create a text frame.
      • Make an object style with a Text Frame Baseline Options > First Baseline > Offset that is anything other than LEADING (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height).
      • Apply it to the text frame.
      • Add the text frame to a library.
      • Close CS5. Open CS6. Open the library.
      • Place the text frame from the library.
      • It will display the Text Frame Baseline Options override message shown in the screen shot, but it will not be able to be cleared.

The only thing I've been able to do is create a new object style using a different name but with the same attributes, apply it to the frame, then save it in a library. It does come out correctly with the new frame name. But I have hundreds of these objects in libraries, so this is an unwieldy solution. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if they found an easy solution?

• 1. Re: Object Style override will not clear
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You should try exporting the file to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 2. Re: Object Style override will not clear

Thanks, Peter. That did not fix the issue, the behavior is the same. I placed the file from the library into a new document, converted it to IDML, opened in InDesign CS6 and saved as INDD, and it still has the same object style overrides that cannot be cleared on the Text Frame Baseline Options > First Baseline > Offset, only with object styles that do not have this set for Leading.

• 3. Re: Object Style override will not clear
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I have sometimes the same problem. To solve it I do following:

1. Click on No x style (set for x object/table/cell/paragraph/character)
              2. Click on the wanted style again

If this does not help, try to use the Remove Overrides Command after step 2 from the flyout menu. With table styles you might to do this step several times because it seems that there are sometimes several overrides on one place.

• 4. Re: Object Style override will not clear

Willi, thanks for the response. As I said in my original message, I can get the override to clear by doing one of several things (which includes your suggestion). But once I clear it, if I put it back into the library and place it out of the library, it does the exact same override as if it had never been fixed. Since these are repeating items in a weekly publication that need to be pulled out quickly under tight deadlines, and people other than me are doing production work, I can't have part of the procedure be to use this workaround on these items every time they are pulled out of the library. I need to fix it so they always reliably can be placed from the library without an error that needs fixing.

I guess I can put all the objects from every library in a document in CS5, convert that document to CS6, then put them back into the library from CS6. This issue doesn't occur when converting a document from CS5 to CS6, it only occurs when placing an object from a library into CS6 when it was originally added or updated in the library from CS5. The library is the key. I think it's a bug, since I can reproduce it with all new documents, styles, and libraries.

• 5. Re: Object Style override will not clear
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

have you tried Update Library Item after making the change on the page?

• 6. Re: Object Style override will not clear

Yes, Peter, that's what I meant by "put back into the library" I should have used the correct terminology. I've actually tried both updating the existing item in the library, or making a new library and a new library item, but the override seems to ride with the object. It seems not to be able to shake it loose after the initial action of being placed from a library into CS6 when it was originally added or updated in the library from CS5. And again, this is only if the object style has Text Frame Baseline Options > First Baseline > Offset set to anything other than LEADING (Ascent, Cap Height, or X Height) when it was placed in the library in CS5.

• 8. Re: Object Style override will not clear

Done. Thanks.