6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 7:25 AM by Szalam

After Effects bounding box triangles flashing

Danthema

I am hoping someone can help me to turn off the blue triangle bounding boxes that flash on and off as I scrub the timeline in After Effects CC.

I find it very distracting as I click around the timeline. It was a problem for me with CS6 and seems to persist with CC, albeit a fainter triangle overlay.

Turning adaptive resolution on, and 'show internal wireframes' off - helps reduce the flashing, but is there a way of leaving adaptive resolution off and still prevent this overlay?

Thanks very much for any clues. Dan.

AnnoyingLines.jpg

• 1. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't get any of the wireframes showing on any of the 4 different systems I am running so before I can help I think we need to know your OS version, system specifications including your GPU specs, and something about your composition. The only thing that I think can possibly be going on is that you had wire frames turned on and that you have some cache issues. Try purging your cache.

• 2. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to what Rick asked, what third-party effects are you using in your comp?

• 3. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing
              Danthema Level 1

Hi,

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930 @3.2GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Quadro 600

HDD: Intel SSD

I am not using any 3rd party effects. I just get the flashing of the underlying wireframes when the comp gets heavy. That is to say, there are more than 3 layers. The wireframe flashes when the comp is processing, then disappears. I have tried purging the cache - but this has not fixed the problem. The only way I have been able to prevent it it by turning 'Handles' off in 'View Settings'. This does have the negative side-effect of making it hard to tell what objects you have selected at any time. Using 'Fast Draft' also prevents the wireframe flashing.

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing

4 layers is hardly a heavy comp.

Does this happen even if you have something simple like four layers of the same 100x100 solid?

Have you tried updating the driver for your GPU?

• 5. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing
                  Danthema Level 1

Hi Szalam,

I have tried updating to the latest drivers - but this has had no obvious effect. By heavy comp I really mean one that takes more than 1 second to process the frame. The scenes where the flashing is the worst is when I am loading frames from an image sequence, or when there are multiple transformations to the layers (levels, masking, color grading). A simple scene with multiple solid layers renders in an instant, so there is no flashing. But once the render time for each frame goes up >1sec, this flashing occurs each time i move to another frame. When scrubbing through a sequence, this flashing gets very distracting.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: After Effects bounding box triangles flashing

That's really odd. It certainly seems like something is awry with your GPU and OS communication via AE, but this is really outside of my area. Hopefully Mylenium or one of the Adobe guys can take a look.