4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 11:42 AM by Rick Gerard

Video in font effect

undressed

Hello. how can I get effect video in font like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2BYIfjiqk ?

• 1. Re: Video in font effect
          -Rodney- Level 1

Hi,

There are several ways to approach masking of text.

Perhaps one of the most straightforward is:

Create your Project

Create a new Comp

Create New Text

Right Click and select [Create Mask from Text]

This will form a mask that masks everything outside of the text.

Note that this will create a mask of each letter separately which may be more than you need and you'll need to group or select each letter if you want to feather the mask or such.

If you just want a mask that isn't really text based you can create a Solid Layer and then add your text to that as a mask.

I like the method outlined above because it allows some additional flexibility that you don't get with a typical mask.

To add other layers in front and behind the text masked imagery you can then Right Click and select [New Mask].

Change the application method from Add, to Substract or whatever your desired goal is.

As I said there are many approaches and there are quite a few tutorials available on text masking to explore:

Browse through these and see if anything strikes your fancy:  after effects text masking - YouTube

• 2. Re: Video in font effect
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alternatively, you could just set the text layer as a Track Matte.for the video layer.

• 3. Re: Video in font effect
              Trent Armstrong Level 1

You could also:

1)  create your text and then hide it by turning off the eyeball

2)  add the video

3)  apply the Set Matte effect to the video layer. Tell the effect to take the matte from the Text Layer.

So many ways to do things makes AE so versatile!

Trent

• 4. Re: Video in font effect
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A simple track matte is what is called for here. No need to create masks from text.

Set up you comp like this:

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 11.37.50 AM.png

If you don't see the TrkMat column push F4. I added a bevel and emboss layer style to make the text stand out.

There are lots of advantages to using a track matte. You can scale, rotate, or position the movie to fit the text better. The text can be animated using text animators. Creating masks from text is useful in some situations, so is creating shapes from text, but you'll find that duplicating the effect in your sample video is a simple matter of just 3 layers and a track matte.

1 person found this helpful