13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 9:03 PM by A.T. Romano

.avi files import to premiere elements 12

olitsche Level 1

Dear all,

I tried to import .avi files (recorded by a HD camcorder, manufacturer "MEDION" on a SDHC memory card) to a new premiere elements 12 video project.

These video-files are mis-interpreted by premiere elements as audio-files -> I can only import them to the project on audio tracks (but non on video tracks). The same video-files can be played back using windows media player (win 8 64 bit) without encountering any problems. Also the player integrated in elements organizer can correctly play back the .avi files as video-files.

Any suggestions how I can convice premiere elements to recognize my .avi files as video-files?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Oliver

• 1. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper... Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
            olitsche Level 1

Dear John T Smith,

thank you very much for your fast reply. I checked what is INSIDE the video using the software "mediainfo" as recommended in one of the threads you mentioned. Below you can see the output of "mediainfo". Is that information sufficient to determine what's going wrong?

You further suggest to show a screenshot - here is one. I simply tried to "add media", selected the .avi file and it is shown in the project elements as sound-file (as you can see there is a loudspeaker icon). When I drag the file to the tracks of my projects, the file only "locks" to any audio track, but does not "lock" to any video track.

Screenshot.PNG

Thanks,

Oliver

General

Complete name :D:\Daten\Import\IMAG0003.AVI
            Format :AVI
            Format/Info :Audio Video Interleave
            File size :20.4 MiB
            Duration :13s 280ms
            Overall bit rate mode :Variable
            Overall bit rate :12.9 Mbps
            Recorded date :2014-05-30
            Writing library :AMBA
            ICRT :10:03:59

Video

ID :0
            Format :AVC
            Format/Info :Advanced Video Codec
            Format profile :Main@L4.0
            Format settings, CABAC :Yes
            Format settings, ReFrames :4 frames
            Format settings, GOP :M=1, N=4
            Codec ID :H264
            Duration :13s 280ms
            Bit rate mode :Variable
            Bit rate :12.5 Mbps
            Maximum bit rate :14.9 Mbps
            Width :1 920 pixels
            Height :1 080 pixels
            Display aspect ratio :16:9
            Frame rate :29.970 fps
            Color space :YUV
            Chroma subsampling :4:2:0
            Bit depth :8 bits
            Scan type :Progressive
            Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :0.200
            Stream size :19.7 MiB (97%)

Audio

ID :1
            Format :ADPCM
            Codec ID :11
            Codec ID/Hint :Intel
            Duration :13s 181ms
            Bit rate mode :Constant
            Bit rate :384 Kbps
            Channel(s) :2 channels
            Sampling rate :48.0 KHz
            Bit depth :4 bits
            Stream size :620 KiB (3%)
            Interleave, duration :43 ms (1.28 video frame)
            • 3. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12

H.264 will not work inside an AVI wrapper http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115

-some cameras use H.264 to either AVI... or SOME models to MOV wrapper

-so use the MOV wrapper if YOUR camera offers that option

-Says VLC will convert in reply #6 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1172956

• 4. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                olitsche Level 1

Dear John T Smith,

thank you once again for your second answer.

Your first link helped me (H.264 will not work inside an AVI wrapper http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115) with a little modificiation. So, here is my solution for you and all the other members:

1. Download the latest 32-bit/64-bit static build of FFmpeg from here: Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds
                2. Open the archive; you'll probably need 7-Zip since the archive is a .7z file. Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the archive (it's in the "bin" folder) to the folder containing your AVIs.
                3. Create a text document (Notepad is fine) called "avi2mp4.bat" (no quotes) in the same folder as the AVIs, making sure to change the default TXT extension to BAT.
                4. Paste the following into the BAT file:

@ECHO OFF

//original version// for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4
                //My version// for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4

1. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s will correctly import into Premiere Pro.

So, my modification was: enter NO option for the AUDIO CODEC (the copy option didn't work) in the BAT file. Finally, I got .MP4 files containing video and audio and Premiere Elements accepts them :-)

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!

Oliver

• 5. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Oliver

Although John has pointed you to the problem with your AVCHD.avi file that you wanted to import into Premiere Elements 12, I would make the following comments.

Earlier you wrote that Premiere Elements 12 was misinterpreting your .avi video file as an audio file. Maybe just a matter of juggling words, but I would suggest instead that Premiere Elements was recognizing and importing only that portion of the file that it supported.

A video file's video and audio compression coupled with its particular file extension (wrapper/container format) need to be supported by Premiere Elements in order for it to be imported wholly. Your file appears to have a AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression and ADPCM compression format wrapped in a .avi wrapper/container. Premiere Elements is not supporting AVCHD in the .avi wrapper so it cannot import it. But it does seem to be supporting the audio ADPCM in the .avi wrapper, so it is allowing that part of the file to be imported.

As for converting the AVCHD.avi to another format, you might look at the program MPEG Streamclip to determine if that would work for you.

http://www.squared5.com/

Please let us know of your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Oliver

I did not see your post numbered 4 until after I had posted my post numbered 5.

Thank you for the information on the interesting .avi to .mp4 approach that worked for you. However, the information posted by you left room for question when you wrote

1. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s will correctly import into Premiere Pro.

How did Premiere Pro get injected into this discussion? I thought that you were working with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Glad you are moving forward with your projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12

The original message I posted was from the Premiere Pro forum, and I missed copying this note at the top of my notes

"This message is in Premiere Pro, but the process works for Premiere Elements"

• 8. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Thanks. So, the Premiere Pro insert that I asked about in post 6 of this thread was just a copy paste missing a modifying line. When I saw that Premiere Pro, I was wondering if olilsche was going between Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro and I missed that point.

Thanks for the clarification.

ATR

• 9. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Just a mini note about Premiere Pro references for Premiere Elements questions. This is just a generalization and not specific to the Premiere Pro links that you posted above.

I would caution you on that point for generalization purposes even though the Premiere Pro reference

may look inviting.

I have been researching a blog post that I have been getting ready to publish for Premiere Elements troubleshooting on 24p Conversion Methods in the Playback Settings of most Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements versions..

I am finding Premiere Pro explanations in Premiere Pro articles for what appears to be Premiere Elements features which are not always well documented in  Premiere Elements articles.

Unfortunately I am finding that there can be information in the Premiere Pro links that are either

a. really not applicable to Premiere Elements but applicable to Premiere Pro

or

b. errors in the Premiere Pro documentation which looked like just the information that I was seeking.

ATR

• 10. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                            Vetias Level 1

Have you tried re-encoding with something like easefab video converter? I've found it's difficult to find and install the right codec, therefore i chose to transcode AVIs to mpeg-2 for premiere elements.

• 11. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Vetias

What version of Premiere Elements on what computer operating system forced you to need an avi to mpeg2 converter for a file that you wanted to import, edit, and export using Premiere Elements.

Although the originator of this thread has apparently found a solution a year ago in this old thread, it still would be interesting to learn of your experiences that force the converter approach before Premiere Elements import.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                                Gloriaivy Level 1

In fact, there are various video and audio codecs (DivX, Xvid, 3ivx, and so on) for AVIs, only a few (example DV-AVI) of which are supported in Premiere Elements, just save your AVI files to another file format(e.g. .mov, .wmv, .mpg) and then opening the converted AVI clip in Premiere Elements. This maybe helpful.

• 13. Re: .avi files import to premiere elements 12
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gloriaivy

We are well aware of the possible video compressions often found wrapped with the .avi format and their support or non support by Premiere Elements (any version).

You and Vetias have entered Oliver's thread a year after Oliver found and described his solution.

I note that you and Vetias are pointing to conversion softwares that come with a price tag. There are plenty of free conversion software that can be found online. So I wonder why each of you has singled out the conversion softwares that come with a price tag.

What version of Premiere Elements do you have/what computer operating system? Out of curiosity, I would ask

Although the originator of this thread has apparently found a solution a year ago in this old thread, it still would be interesting to learn of your experiences that force the converter approach before Premiere Elements import

ATR