9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 8:45 AM by avianjo

Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer

jfk00ca Level 1

Over the past month Photoshop has become a nightmare to work with.

I am using CS6 because I have never been able to get CC to install. My computer specs:

Lenova Thinkpad

i7-3632 CPU with 16 Gb ram running Win 7 Pro x64. The graphics card is the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

I have used Photoshop since 1996, so am a seasoned user. These problems began about 1 month ago and I suspect may be related to the fact that one of the 2 CC memberships associated with my account was about to expire. (I wonder if there is something internal increasing checks of licensing given the upcoming and now passed expiration.) It also may be related to whatever underlying problem makes it impossible for me to update Photoshop CS6 or install Photoshop CC from the creative cloud. I have tried suggested solutions and short of uninstalling/reinstalling everything nothing has worked.

What I noticed first was that PS would take a long time to open, affecting other programs during the process. Music playing in iTunes would "skip" like an old record, with several pauses in the music while PS opened or saved a file.

When I checked the task manager, PS was almost 1Gb ram to view a single jpg. It seems like PS is not releasing memory when images are closed. For example, I just had 3 files open and closed all but a 56Kb jpb - yet PS is still using 1.142 Gb of ram. If I close PS and reopen those files, I see a more expected ram usage.

The problems are not consistent, which is odd. For example, opening PS will be okay one time and open in seconds, then it will take minutes another time and freeze my computer. (Which is why I suspected it may be connected to a CC license check routine.)

The biggest problem is that PS is also causing problems with other programs, esp. Microsoft office programs - that only occur when PS is running.

Does anyone have any idea of why this is suddenly a problem and what I can do to fix it? I am literally at the point of looking for and switching to another program if I can't get this fixed.

Thanks - Julie

• 1. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Julie

You can limit the amount of RAM that Photoshop can use in your Photoshop Preferences but I do not think that is your problem.  As you have observed if Photoshop allocates RAM it does nor give the RAM back till you close Photoshop down. Photoshop manages the resources it allocates.  Keep any resource it allocates for it does not want to repetitively allocate RAM from the OS. It keeps what it allocates and reuses it when ever it need ram so if you open an close and image then open a second image Photoshop does not need to allocate RAM from the OS it has the ram it allocated previously.  If  you open Photoshop then close it. Then open and close it three more times in a row the last three open and close should take about the same amount of time.  Sometimes the very first time can take a bit longer.     On you machine Photoshop should open quite fast.  If it taking a long time use Adobe font test to check that the installed fonts are good.   Also check what you have added to Photoshop large patterns and other things added can lengthen start time.  It is not uncommon for Photoshop to allocate several GB of RAM.  Photoshop can also consume large amounts of scratch disk space.  Windows need free disk space on its boot disk to work well.  When you start having problems start Windows File explorer target the C: drive, right click then click properties check its free space.  I have seen Photoshop use over 100GB of scratch space.   I feel it would be more likely that your disk is being filled with scratch data and is causing windows problems.  Having 16GB of RAM  should be more then is needed in most cases unless you have many other resource hungry applications also open with Photoshop.  

• 2. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
            jfk00ca Level 1

Thanks - that is very helpful, especially your explanation about how PS uses memory. I never even thought to check until I started encountering problems.

As you suspected my boot drive is pretty full, although less so now that I have uninstalled the rest of the CC programs. Together both that and the partitioned designated for scratch disk space have about 140 Gb. available.

Since the change was abrupt and pervasive, and my total disk usage hasn't changed much in the past 6 months, I strongly suspect the root of the problem is something else. However, I will try removing more files from the boot drive to see if that will help.

Thanks! - Julie

• 3. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
              jfk00ca Level 1

Update:

Based on JJMack's feedback I spent hours cleaning up my harddrives to free up more scratch disk space and have uninstalled all non-essential programs and now basically have Microsoft Office, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6 and a few other essential left.

That has not helped and once again, an action as simple as Save to Web freezes my computer then takes almost 2 minutes to save the image.

You can see the processor activity from the attached jpg - which is another good example of my problem: saving this image took almost 3 minutes to complete the process:

adobe-freeze.jpg

Re-installing a computer is always a time-consuming headache, because beyond the time you have to get all your preferences set-up again. Also, I'm not sure it is going to fix my problem.

I would really like suggestions for how to fix this.

Thanks, Julie

• 4. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer

You should also see from your screen capture of the task manager the its not a RAM problem for only 1/3 of you RAM is in use.  You can also see that what is being done is using hyper threading all of your processors are being used quite hard. Look at the Processes tab during this time sort on CPU see if you can tell where the processors are being used. When you doing the Save for Web and devices Are you creating an Animated GIF or just saving a jpeg or png file.  Saving PNG file on my system used one processor. View screen captures in a new window or tab jive scale screen captures very badly.

Capture.jpg

Saving a large Animated GIF the same.

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
                  jfk00ca Level 1

Thank JJMack - that has helped me get closer to the problem.

I opened the resource monitor and you can see a screenshot of what is going on when I try to save a simple, 9 Kb graphic. (I'm saving an RGB JPG, not a PNG or animated GIF file. Doing anything complex / memory intensive than saving or simple edits in PS is almost impossible.)

As you can see from the screencap below, when I save (it doesn't make a difference if it is save vs. save to web or a network or local drive) Photoshop becomes unresponsive. (From past experiences, if I try to switch to a non-Adobe program it will also freeze and sometimes crash.) When PS becomes unresponsive, the NT Kernel & System immediately goes to the top of the list and uses 200+ threads.

From there Photoshop will typically be frozen for about a minute, then will recover and take another minute or two to finish the save. At that point PS is okay, but the rest of the computer is still frozen with CPU oscillating up to almost 100%.

As soon as the NT Kernel & System settles down, everything is back to normal again (as long as I haven't used other programs, which in one case required a hard reboot.)

It is pretty clear the problem is rooted in Adobe / Window 7 as I only have this problem with Adobe programs. (Illustrator isn't as bad, but I've had problems with it as well.)

The question is: How do I fix this, as it is killing my ability to work?

ps-freeze.jpg

Thanks! Julie

• 6. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer

Julie something on your machine is using processor power.  Its not happening on my machine.  Do not use the resource monitor. Just use the Task Manager and switch to the Processes Tab not the Performance Tab.  Click on the CPU column so the triangle points down  so High CPU process will sort on top. When I first click on Save For Web I'll see Photoshop.exe rise from 0% to over 10%. Then go to 0%.  When I click save Photoshop will rise to 4% the fall to 0%.  All other Process show 0% CPU.

What does the Processes Tab show on you Machine,  Is it Photoshop that is using all your CPU?

Capture.jpg

If I show ALL Processes its normal to see Idle system 99% when actual save Photoshop will show 4% then drop to 2% and system kick up to 1%

Capture.jpg

• 7. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
                      jfk00ca Level 1

Hi JJMack,

I checked the Processes view, but it provided similar information.

I realize our computers are behaving quite differently =- before these problems started I suspect mine would have been much like yours. As you can see from this screenshot, the only program using a significant amount of processing power is the NT Kernel & System. The pattern is quite specific an repeatable:

ps-freeze-v2.jpg

I click save or save to web, within 7 second PS shows as not responding. I then need to wait almost 2 minutes while a few different windows systems processes seem to go haywire. At the top of that list is the NT Kernel & System process, the same one using 200+ threads in my screenshot above.

After about 2 minutes, PS changes from Not Responding to Running, at which point it will use 2-8% of the CPU. Within another 30-45 seconds I find  I have full use of my machine back with no crashes. But waiting 2-3 minutes to save one small image is crippling.

There is clearly a conflict between Windows and PS, but only PS.

What I want to know is why is this happening (less important) and how can I fix it (more important.) As mentioned earlier, I also cannot install PS CS6 updates or PS CC, even though I am fully licensed for both. I have been able to install / update other CC programs, which I believe may be related.

- thanks, Julie

• 8. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer

jfk00ca wrote:

Hi JJMack,

I checked the Processes view, but it provided similar information.

I realize our computers are behaving quite differently =- before these problems started I suspect mine would have been much like yours. As you can see from this screenshot, the only program using a significant amount of processing power is the NT Kernel & System. The pattern is quite specific an repeatable:

You write "before these problems started I suspect mine would have been much like yours" yes normal operation. So something on you system changed like. Photoshop preferences, Windows Updates and Photoshop updates, other changes, installs or bug. Have change you machine operation the system kernel is all that seem to be getting CPU and Photoshop becomes interlocked and none responsive. Try to remember when the problem first  appeared.  Look for changes made near that time. Start by renaming you Photoshop Preference folder and trying Photoshop.  If you can not find what is causing the problem.  See if there is a system restore point   that is just before the fail date and restore your system to that point.  See if Photoshop then works.  if it does take note of new updates that then get installed. If the problem returns you may have an Idea of what is causing the problem.

• 9. Re: Photoshop using too much memory, freezing computer
                          avianjo Level 1

Hi Julie,

I am curious if you ever solved your Photoshop issues - as I am having the exact problems with my system. I have an iMac, with only 4GB of Ram. I have been attributing the slow down to the using up of internal Ram - and when I use PS CC on a new MacBook Air with an i7 processor, it runs VERY fast. I am considering upgrading to a new iMac, but was curious if you ever figured out what was slowing down your system.

Thanks,  Gary