4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 7:19 PM by Bob Howes RSS

Adobe Audition CC Playback Issues

laurenb123

Hi there,

My name is Lauren and I have been having some issues recently with Audition CC regarding playback. I've been using Audition (in the various versions) for about six years now and I have never had this issue with any of the other versions I have used.

So the issue is this: I will import an mp3 file of an instrumental I've created in a different program, and then record the vocals in a multitrack session in Audition. I make sure that no other programs that will use up my sound card are open at that time. (Like YouTube, iTunes, or any other type of recording software) I will record the vocals, and the playback goes smoothly until I reach almost to the end of the song; that's where things get odd. Once it hits that point, the playback is really skippy, and it sounds like how a scratched CD would.

I've tried exporting what I have done into an mp3 file, and play the file in Windows Player or whatever, and it sounds completely normal; it's just when the multitrack session is in Audition that it skips like crazy.

I've tried to do some research to figure out what the problem is, but I can't seem to find any answers. Would any of you know what the problem might be? Your help would be SO appreciated!

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it!

- Lauren

• 1. Re: Adobe Audition CC Playback Issues
          ryclark Community Member

laurenb123 wrote:

I make sure that no other programs that will use up my sound card are open at that time. (Like YouTube, iTunes, or any other type of recording software)

What soundcard are you using? Is it an on-board one? Windows itself can cause problems by trying to play out it's own bings and bongs which can take over the soundcard and alter settings. So you need to go into the Windows' Sound Settings panel and make sure that "Windows Sounds" are set to "None".

• 2. Re: Adobe Audition CC Playback Issues
            jammin101

I'm having the same issue.  Audition cc will not playback any of my audio files

• 3. Re: Adobe Audition CC Playback Issues
              ryclark Community Member

We need a lot more information about your system that you are running Audition CC on before we can hope to answer your question. Is it a PC or a Mac? Which operating system and what soundcard? Is it in Waveform Edit view or Multitrack?

• 4. Re: Adobe Audition CC Playback Issues
                Bob Howes MVP

Yes, we need more details of the sound card(s) being use and things like drivers etc.  However, a couple of comments:

First, turning off system sounds is absolutely necessary in Windows for any serious sound work.  The bings and boops that Windows generates will all upset your sound work.  Also, for a problem of a skipping playback, go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and (assuming you're using MME drivers) increase the latency setting.  This will increase the buffer size and make your playback more stable.

Second, for Jammin101, when you say files won't play back, are you getting skipping like the original poster or no playback at all?  If the latter, does the system just sit there and refuse to do anything or does the cursor move on the waveform display but not give you any sound?