3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 9:15 PM by JJMack

what is ideal photoshop scratch disc solution for the new MacPro?

JulZ

Typical photoshop files are 16GB+ and we are getting the new MacPro (64GB RAM and 1T SSD). Adobe recommends an empty physical disc for best scratch performance. New MacPro comes with only 1 disc internally. What is the MacPro's best solution?

A: Use internal drive as is- with system software, scratch and storage all on same drive.

B: Partition internal drive with system on 1 partition and scratch on another partition and storage on a third partition.

C: Partition internal with system on 1 partition and scratch on another and use external storage through thunderbolt.

D: System software on internal drive and scratch on external thunderbolt.

If anyone has info about this MacPro setup please inform.

• 1. Re: what is ideal photoshop scratch disc solution for the new MacPro?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Partitions IMO bad Idea on real disk for would cause excessive arm movement.  There are no arm with SSD just use it a single drive for everything.  If you can add a second  SSD if you have then on a raid controller raid 0 may increase performance.  If you want to get into video consider a Windows workstation they can be configured much better then MacPro....  Unless your tied to Finalcut for you would need to switch  to Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects.

I also no nothing about thunderbolt performance

• 2. Re: what is ideal photoshop scratch disc solution for the new MacPro?
            Level 5

A, B, and C are monumentally bad ideas.

That leaves D as the obvious best alternative.

The optimal solution is a second, physically separated, dedicated internal drive for Photoshop scratch.

However, external FireWire drives for that purpose have worked exceedingly well for me over the years.  Thunderbolt should do even better.

I had procrastinated looking up the Trash-Can Mac Pro specs.  I cannot believe they would consider a machine with a single HD!  As far as I' concerned, after 29 years of using Macs, now the new Mac Pro is in the trash can. 

• 3. Re: what is ideal photoshop scratch disc solution for the new MacPro?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I don't know why A would be a bad idea on a Mac.   Its ideal for a windows system a 1TB raid 0 made of SSD works great just ask Noel.  I would think it would be great for unix as well Apple seems to think so to  For their MacPro  storage looks like raid 0 to me

Storage, User accessible

256GB

PCIe-based flash storage

Configurable to 512GB or 1TB2