5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2014 9:25 AM by A.T. Romano

Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)

roccoba

I'm using a 32 bit system with Windows 7 Home Premium and Service Pack 1. An AVI that I captured with my DV camera will not play in Premiere Elements. I can see the time line making a loop every 10 seconds or less whenever I use FireWire for audio. If I use Windows Sound Card, it plays well.

The same AVI plays well on Windows Media Player with or without the FireWire audio interface.

I'm new to Adobe but have used AVID Liquid Pro before. It seems like I'm missing a CODEC but I'm not sure if that is the problem. NOTHING plays right with the FireWire Audio selected regardless of the many settings I have tried.

Thanks,

Joseph Balsamo

• 1. Re: Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joseph Balsamo

Premiere Elements, what version, on Windows 7 32 bit?

What are you trying to do - DV 4:3 Data firewire capture  into Premiere Elements Capture Window?

I am unfamiliar with the firewire interface that you are working with. From what I have read "MOTU 828 mR3" is Firewire with USB 2 audio interface. Typically anything USB and non firewire does not work in DV or HDV data Capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window.

If you use a firewire cable between your miniDV camcorder firewire port and the computer firewire port can you capture firewire into Premiere Elements set with the appropriate project preset?

You describe your device as Firewire audio interface. I read of it, Firewire with USB 2 audio interface. Which is it?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)
            roccoba Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 12.

The 828mk3 is a FireWire audio interface. I'm actually using IEEE 1384 connection vs USB. I use it for my audio (PC to mixing board) mostly for Sonar.

I found out today during a chat with Adobe that Premiere Elements does not support MOTU. That must be my problem.

I am not trying to capture, just play an AVI in the timeline. The timeline does not move smoothly enough to do that without audio and video problems. However, the same AVI will play in the organizer of Premiere Elements. Also the same AVI also plays in Media Player. I also have no problems with audio or video using YouTube or Vimeo or any video on the web with Chrome or IE 11.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit with Service Pack 1.

828mk3 Hybrid Firewire Audio Interface

I am told that Premiere Pro can support MOTU. I just don't have a 64 bit system for it yet.

Thanks,

Joseph Balsamo

• 3. Re: Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Joseph Balsamo

Thank for the reply.

Could you provide some clarification so that I can think about your question some more in view of what you just wrote.

Given you are trying to play back an .avi file on your Premiere Elements 12 Timeline.

a. What are the properties of this .avi file? Are you dealing with DV AVI 4:3 or 16:9 Type 2 or something else?

and

b. What did you use for Add Media to get the .avi into the project?

c. When you are look at and listening to this .avi file during its playback in the Edit area monitor, do you have an

orange line over its content (at the top of the Timeline)?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)
                roccoba Level 1

Hi ATR,

It sounds like you don't believe that Premiere Elements will not work with a FireWire audio device.

I will gladly give you more detail later today regarding all the specs you requested. However, here is a quick response.

a: I'm using 16:9 and used AVI from various sources with the same results. I will send you complete specs of timeline and AVI this PM.

b: (Original source of AVI is Internet and camera) using Add Media to a fresh project with file folders.

c: I don't remember seeing an orange line. I will check that this PM as well.

Thanks,

Joseph

• 5. Re: Unstable timeline movement using FireWire audio (MOTU 828mk3)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Joseph

Thanks for the reply.

We will be watching for further details.

If you have DV AVI 16:9 on your Timeline, could you please let us know if it is DV AVI type 1 or type 2?

You can get that information in the Container sector of the GSpot utility.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If it turns out to be DV AVI type 1, we can convert that to DV AVI type 2 using the DVDate program.

Homepage of DVdate

I see two separate issues - capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window or other and the properties of a DV AVI from such a capture being placed on the Timeline (Windows computer). If that DV AVI is type 1 rather than type 2, Premiere Elements can (often does) have problems with it.

Looking forward to trying to help you sort through the details and rule in or out factors contributing to your issue.

ATR