3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 11:56 AM by richter

SHIFT+CTRL+C doesn't copy merged when it's just a single layer document?

richter Level 1

Anybody else constantly annoyed by the fact that Photoshop doesn't let you copy merged using SHIFT + CTRL + C when your document is just a single layer?

I totally get having CTRL + C for copying a single layer, but forcing the user to use CTRL + C when it's just a single layer document is pure stup--sorry--is really lame. When I use SHIFT + CTRL + C I want Photoshop to copy every layer, even if it's just a single one.

Is there a way to get it so SHIFT + CTRL + C will copy all layers, even if it's just one layer? I tried messing with the Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, but I don't think it will let me change it to the way I want.

Just had to vent a little after being annoyed by it for the thousandth time. (Am I alone here? Is anybody else annoyed by it?)

• 1. Re: SHIFT+CTRL+C doesn't copy merged when it's just a single layer document?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I'm not entirely understanding your post, but I can see it is definitely an issue for you.  Are you talking about copying to the clipboard, or making a copy/merged layer, or what?

ISTM that just using Ctrl a, followed by Ctrl c will copy a single layer to the clipboard, and Shift Ctrl c all layers.  Is that not working for you?  

Shift Ctrl Alt e makes a copy merged layer immediately above the layer selected when invoking the shortcut (providing that layer is switched on.

If I am misunderstanding you, can you give a bit more information?

• 2. Re: SHIFT+CTRL+C doesn't copy merged when it's just a single layer document?
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't get why you have to use the shift key, since it is a single layer, it already is merged, all that is required is copying the layer. Or better yet, use the alt key and drag the layer or document depending on what you want to do with it.

When it comes to multiple layers I have to agree with Trevor, ctrl-alt-shift-e is my go to command for making a composite of all the layers.

• 3. Re: SHIFT+CTRL+C doesn't copy merged when it's just a single layer document?
              richter Level 1

Yeah, I'm talking about copying to the clipboard. I'm often doing projects that involve copying various image and placing them into others. The fastest way to do it (when both files are open at the same time) is to do select all, then SHIFT + CTRL + C then paste it into the file I want.

However, not all images I'm copying from are multiple layers. Some are single layer. It just bothers me that I have to look and see if the file is a single layer or not and then remembering which shortcut to use. It's not a huge deal or time waster, but it's just annoying. I can't think of any logical reason as to why SHIFT + CTRL + C doesn't copy all layers, even when it's just a single layer. It's not like it's illegal for a shortcut to overlap in function with another one...