2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 7:19 PM by A.T. Romano

receiving a serious error message and premiere 9 must shut down

lightsups

When i open the program i get the welcome screen then i click to open a new or existing file and i get a gray background with a error message "sorry a serious error has occurred that requires adobe premiere elements to shutdown.We will attempt to save your current project'' The program worked fine a few weeks ago now it is not.

• 1. Re: receiving a serious error message and premiere 9 must shut down
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>program worked fine a few weeks ago now it is not

What has changed... did you update something about your operating system?

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: receiving a serious error message and premiere 9 must shut down
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lightsups

Just some questions specific to Premiere Elements 9 with Premiere Elements details.

For now I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk and tell us to what hard drive location you have

pointed the Scratch Disks and how much free space is at that location.

Then please go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0 and tell us how many files you

find in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and the Media Cache Files Folder. Delete

the content of of either folder if it has pile ups of files. Also go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hit

the Clean button in the Media Cache Database area there.

Please delete the Adobe Premiere Elemens Prefs file or the 9.0 Folder in which it exists. The path to

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work,

then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure the

you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see

the complete path cited.

I am assuming that you have been and are running the program from a User Account with Administrative

Privileges and that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed. But good to double check. In addition, even

if you are working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, right click the Premiere Elements 9 desktop

icon and click on Run As Administrator.

Let us pause here, review the above, and then decide what is next.

Thanks.

ATR