9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 12:04 AM by PCreater

Convert Character style to Outline

PCreater

Is there script to convert only character style to outline but preserved the formatting and location in text frame. As the normal option do create outlines under type menu.

• 1. Re: Convert Character style to Outline
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Why do you want to outline any tpe. Type should never be outlined in InDesign.

• 2. Re: Convert Character style to Outline
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Willi, if you can do this without text conversion, tell me!

Image 23.png

Hi PCreater, I don't know if a script exists but I've easily automatized the process with QuicKeys in several minutes. So, I think It can be easily done in Javascript or AppleScript.

A tip: cmd-alt-shift-O, after selecting text.

• 3. Re: Convert Character style to Outline
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I won't go so far as Willi to say you should never outline fonts, but in general it's a bad practice for a couple of reasons:

• The outlining of text will degrade the typographic quality of the text. Why is this? The glyphs are turned into normal graphics which lack the intelligence that fonts have in displaying or printing text, particularly on lower resolution devices. Fonts have hinting built in, which makes them look good at low resolution. This is lost when you outline type.
              • Certain attributes will be lost when outlining because they are not part of the font itself, but are applied by InDesign. Try adding these features to your InDesign type?underlining, strikethrough, bullets applied with the Bullets & Numbering feature, or footnotes. Then select the text and choose Type > Create Outlines. Guess what: Those attributes just disappear!

I wrote about this in 2007 in InDesignSecrets.com:

http://indesignsecrets.com/outlining-fonts-is-it-necessary.php

As for your ugly and fairly unlikely scenario, Obi-wan, you can accomplish the same thing without outlining by creating an inline graphic. As you can see mine is still editable and doesn't lose the font quality:

InlineGraphic.png

• 4. Re: Convert Character style to Outline

Hi Steve,

Do not make me write what I just did not write ...

Image 24.png

Image 25.png

As you, I keep editable text. Using cmd-alt-shift-O, after selecting text, I create an outline of this text part without lose it... As you did!

Doing it and using QuicKeys associated to a research on the objects, I automize it in 2 steps. That's only what I wrote! 

• 5. Re: Convert Character style to Outline

You can set up this text in its own frame and apply the effects and insert it as inline anchored frame. No need to outline here. Outlining is only for graphic purposes, like transforming a letter or filling glyphs with an image or a graphic or something like this.

• 6. Re: Convert Character style to Outline

Willi,

I know that! That's Steve has done. It's not a bad idea. I can obviously use it in some cases.

But if the layout changes and the text moves between two lines or two pages, the treatment becomes harder (it's an sample).

In my solution, you don't modify the text: you only add an light independent graphic effect foreground.

• 7. Re: Convert Character style to Outline
                      PCreater Level 1

The reason for outline the type is

.IPA and Arabic

, Before creating this thread I create the above thread (IPA and Arabic). No one reply to this thread so I comes up to create outlines of some part of text.

• 8. Re: Convert Character style to Outline

Have you installed the English-Arabic version of InDesign? There is a menu item like composite fonts which should do that what you want.

• 9. Re: Convert Character style to Outline
                          PCreater Level 1

Well Recently I installed trail version of English -Arabic version of ID on another PC. But I couldn't  find any advantage on default English version.

Can you outline what is composite fonts feature in Indesign ME. I saw this under type menu. I think this is not related to my problem.

My problem is the English Phonetic Sounds and Arabic don't see properly in same paragraph style. Look the images below

This paragraph is set to Adobe Paragraph Composer

Adobe Paragraph.PNG

And the following paragraph is set to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer

World Ready composer.PNG.

How to fix up that strange thing