19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2014 1:05 PM by A.T. Romano

how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12

Sonoubriaco1

I am creating a language tutorial. Am trying to add full screen text without losing the audio explanation of the text. How do I make this edit and not lose the audio that coincides with the full screen text?

• 2. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
          Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

don’t understand

Roberto Alvarez

www.learnitalian.us

• 3. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto Alvarez

Premiere Elements questions should be placed in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. From what John wrote, your thread must have been placed in another unrelated Forum and John as moderator moved your thread from there to here, the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, where Premiere Elements users can help you. Also, please do not put contact information in your replies. That can cause you nuisance problems.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

You wrote

I am creating a language tutorial. Am trying to add full screen text without losing the audio explanation of the text. How do I make this edit and not lose the audio that coincides with the full screen text?

Is your "audio explanation" a narration clip created by you using the program's Narration Tool? If so, have you placed the Timeline Indicator at the location where you want the narration to start in relation to the text above?  If so, the narration is placed automatically at that location after you click Done in the Narration Tool dialog.

Or, do you have narration clips from another source and are trying to add them to the Timeline content? To avoid disturbing the already existing Timeline content in case like this, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and then move your narration clip in place on the appropriate Timeline track.

Those are my most likely guesses at the information that you seek. If I am not targeting your issue, please give more details so that I can help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
              Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

Mr. Romano,

I recorded myself (camera pointed at me) on my Ipad. When I edit this video I want to insert the full screen text at various times without losing the audio. 

Roberto

• 5. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

Thank you for the reply.

From what you wrote, I am now understanding 2 Timeline files

a. Video 1 Audio 1. Your iPad video.

b. Special Full screen Text File

When you talk about losing audio, I am assuming that you are referring to the audio component of the iPad video.

You should not be losing the audio portion of the iPad video by just adding the special full screen text file on Video

Track 2 above the iPad video on Video Track 1.

Is there narration files involved in this in addition to the iPad video and special full screen text file?

If your video was recorded using a variable instead of constant frame rate, I am wondering if that is part of the

issue? However, I am not sure if you are asking for a how to achieve your proposed goal or rather if you are having a problem with

audio in the project and are asking how to fix the audio problem.

We will be watching for further news on your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                  Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

Mr. Romano,

Thank you for your response. I am not sure how else to describe what I am trying to do. My background is as an on-camera talent in television for twenty five years. My verbage may be from the TV world so allow me to describe what I am trying to do.

I sat down in front of my Ipad (me on camera) and delivered a 50 second italiani “word of the day” lesson. So I have video of me and the audio of me.

In editing this I want to insert full screen text that shows the word I am explaining etc. At the point in which I end the insert you would once again see me on-camera.

In your previous response you stated “If your video was recorded using a variable instead of constant frame rate”.

I’m not sure what that means nor how to detect if that is the case.

I appreciate your help very much because the only reason I bought this software was specifically for this purpose.

Roberto

• 7. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

Thanks for the details.

Variable - Constant Frame Rate Explanation

First, the variable frame rate mention and any problems that might be expected if your iPad video was recorded with a variable rather than constant frame rate. Some cameras (such a cell phone, iPod, probably iPad) record video not at one frame rate across the whole video recording. Instead, they record with a variable frame rate depending usually on the lighting conditions during video recording. One way to know what your recording device is using is to view the MediaInfo video audio properties readout. If you have a constant frame rate, you will see just one frame rate listed. If variable, you should see 3 frame rates listed minimum, maximum, and mid range frame rate.

MediaInfo - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

This situation may or may not cause problems for you in Premiere Elements. The signs of problems are usually out of sync audio and you just cannot import the video into the project. If this type of problem, then you take your video into a program such as HandBrake to generate a file with a constant rather than variable frame rate. Then you import the file with the constant frame rate into your Premiere Elements project. http://handbrake.fr/

Again, this may or may not create problems.

The Generalized Project Workflow

There is no problem to setup up your Timeline physically. The iPad video with go to Video Track 1 and Audio Track 1. The video is imported into the project linked to it audio portion. And, the Full Screen Text Files will be on Video Track 2 directly above the related content. Now here is the part that I am not yet clear on. Is the Full Screen Text for a given portion of video supposed to synchronize word for word with what you are saying in the audio on Audio Track 1? That will involve a mapping out part with regard to duration of each of the Full Screen Text files. Will these Full Screen Text files be readable against the video representing the background? Font style and size and color will be major considerations as well as getting the text file to be on screen long enough to be readable even with Font style, size, and color considerations.

The fact that you focus on audio loss in all this makes me wonder if I am missing a vital part of what you want to do. The loss of audio concern that you mention does not seem like a prime factor unless you are referring to sync between the texts and what it is supposed to correspond to in the audio of the video.

Please review and consider and then, based on your reply, I will offer a mini demo to see if we are OK on the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                      nealeh Level 5

I suspect your are working in Quick mode. Switch to Expert mode and you can then add your text in a track ABOVE the ipad video. The text will then appear without splitting the audio.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 9. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

Referring back to my post numbered 7....

All my post replies have been specific to you working in the Expert workspace, not the Quick workspace, of Premiere Elements 12; and, in none of your replies so far, have you indicated that you are in other than Expert workspace. In the Expert workspace, there is a Timeline with audio and video tracks. In the Quick workspace there is a Filmstrip with scene spots.

Expert workspace

Expert.JPG

Quick workspace

Quick.JPG

Please confirm which workspace you are trying to work in.

My instructions have already been given for what you want to do in the Expert workspace. I prefer the Expert

workspace since you can see what you are doing and thus have more control. Note that the Expert workspace

has numbered Audio Tracks besides a Narration Track and Sound Track. When you are in the Quick workspace,

there is only a Narration Track and Soundtrack although you can still hear the audio content on the

Timeline's numbered Audio Tracks.

Please clarify

loss of audio in the sense that you do not have numbered Audio Tracks in Quick workspace

or

loss of audio (sound) when you go to add Full Screen Text files to your project as described throughout this thread.

We will move forward on the troubleshooting as directed by your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                          Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

I am certain I have been working in the expert workspace. my problem is as you described when you wrote,

loss of audio (sound) when you go to add Full Screen Text files to your project as described throughout this thread.

Roberto Alvarez

www.learnitalian.us

• 11. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

Thanks for the reply with the confirmations.

In Premiere Elements 12 there is a known issue with the loss of audio (in numbered audio tracks and soundtrack) when a narration is added to the project with the program's Narration Tool.

If you are losing audio on Audio 1 with the addition of a Full Screen Text File on Video 2, I am wondering if this is the same type of situation but with sound (in numbered audio tracks)  being targeted by text file rather than narration clip. Please confirm where these Full Screen Text Files are being created....in the program's Titler or someplace else?

I will do some experimenting with this and get back to you as soon as possible with my observations.

While I am doing that, please do some mini experiments

1. Move your iPad video (video and audio linked) to Video Track 2 and Audio Track 2 and try to place your Full Screen Text File(s) on Video Track 3.

or

2. Right click the file on Video Track 1 and Audio Track 1, select Unlink Audio and Video, followed by moving the audio to the Narration Track or the Soundtrack. Next add you Full Screen Text File(s) to Video Track 2.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                              Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

Mr. Romano,

These Full Screen Text Files are being created....in the program's Titler.

Tomorrow I will have more time to experiment with all your suggestions. hopefully I can follow your instructions.

I really want to be able to do what I want to do, as far as creating these videos to help my business. honestly I didn’t know I would be having all these problems after spending 100-bucks for this software. regardless, solving the problem is the key now.

I sincerely appreciate your help and your time. 

Roberto

• 13. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

We should be able to find the answer.

But, are you still within 30 days of purchase of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe?

If you have purchased from Adobe, you should be able to get a refund according to

its 30 days money back arrangement. You can do all that online under Orders, Refunds, and

Exchanges.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=orders-refunds-and-exc hanges

You click on the above link, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still need help? Contact us." to

bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss the topic of Orders, Refunds, and Exchanges.

I am keeping a positive thought that we can find the cause of the problem.

Thank you for your follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                  Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

Mr. Romano,

I am beyond the 30-day limit.

thank you for all your help in finding the answer.

Roberto

• 15. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

I have been experimenting with your Premiere Elements 12 issue in which you are losing sound in Audio Track 1 when you add Full Screen Text Titles on Video Track 2 above your iPad video linked to audio (Video Track 1/Audio Track 1).

I have not found any loss of Audio Track 1 sound when adding titles. Please refer to screenshot below where:

a. I created titles in the program's Titler (the screenshot shows only 2 titles....)

b. Substituted some MPEG4.avi footage as a video audio source counterpart for your iPad video.

titles.JPG

Not sure what you want to do with transitions between the titles or spacing, but you may want to look at the Flip Over transition at some of the junctions between titles. But, all this has not advanced us on the question concerning what is happening to your Audio 1 sound when you add these titles to the project.

Do you have any non iPad video that you could substitute for troubleshooting purposes to see if you then get the

sound and titles? Also, you may want to take your iPad video and process it through the program HandBrake

to assure a constant frame rate for the video. I do not want to take anything for granted.

http://handbrake.fr/

Please review the above to verify that the principles for what I have described are what you are following.

I will supply you with additional how to if needed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                      Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

Mr. Romano...Sorry I’ve not been in contact. I believe I’ve figured this out, now I just need to get around the video freezing.

I expected better from this software.

thanks for all your help

Roberto

• 17. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

So very glad to learn that you worked out your full screen text title issue. What was the key to success in this regard?

When are you getting this video freezing? If you are on a good troubleshooting plan for that now, then I will not distract

you with questions on that now. But, when and if you want to discuss the video freezing issue, please do not hesitate

to ask for some exchange of thoughts on the matter.

Best wishes

ATR

• 18. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                          Sonoubriaco1 Level 1

not sure how to explian how I half-assed figured it out. again I think this software should work more smoothly.

after importing audio and video I created full screen graphic. 10 seconds into the audio and video I inserted I inserted the full screen graphic then deleted the video and left the full screen text up for the remainder of the presentation. crudely experimenting with it now, not working on a final product.

anyway I have found that the video that is visible (for the 10 seconds prior to the insertion of the graphic) is freezing and consequently the audio is not in synch.

Roberto Alvarez

www.learnitalian.us

• 19. Re: how to add full screen text w/out losing audio. I have premier elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberto

If I read you reply correctly

Video 1 (10 seconds) and the rest is your full screen text graphic

Audio 1 throughout to the end of the full screen text graphic

Assuming I am OK on those details...you mentioned that you were doing experimenting, maybe

moving things around. If so, I wonder if you have gotten any clip fragments/leftovers scattered about the tracks.

You may want to expand the Timeline content with the -+ slider above the Timeline and then inspect the tracks

for these fragments. Typically they present as very thin black vertical lines scattered among the tracks.

What you could try also. Close the project and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary

the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists and then reopen the project to determine if any of the project problems

are gone or lessened.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete

the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with

Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Also, if you have not already, when the Timeline is expanded, look for any possible irregularities in the Timeline such as

unwanted gaps as well as those fragment possibilities already mentioned.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR