13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 4:35 PM by A.T. Romano

Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?

KM Aerial Views

I am fairly new to video editing and am a little confused about saving my Adobe Premier Elements Projects.  I am asking because I would like to take my video files off of my computer and put them onto an external HD because of their large file sizes.  But I would like to know what I need to save so that my Adobe Premier Elements Project can be re-opened properly.  Do I need to save the (Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, and the LRV’s and the THM’s)?  Any info would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0 for one idea of making a project relatively easy to move

• 2. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
            KM Aerial Views Level 1

Hello John.  Thanks for the quick reply.  But I really don't understand what needs to be saved when backing it up to an external HD?  I saved all the project parts along with the saved Adobe Elements Premier Project in one folder and then dragged it onto an external HD.  I then deleted the folder that was on my computer to the Recycle Bin.  I then tried opening the Project from the folder that I had placed in my external HD and it did not work.  It asked me where the project was rendered?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

• 3. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Keith

What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 12 on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

You cannot move, delete, or rename folders files that go into a project after you save close the project. If you do so, you are heading for nasty media reconnect issues which you will probably need to correct with the "Where is the file.....?" messages.

Bottom lines for you to explore...

Start a New Project..

Edit Menu/Preference/Scratch Disks. Point them to your external hard drive, make sure there is enough hard drive space at that location.

And, then move forward with your project unless you have the time for probably a lot of reconnects in the project involved in your organizational attempts.

The project file is saved as per the Save In in the new project dialog. File Menu/New/Project. Set that according otherwise the project file will probably head to 12.0 Folder in the Documents.

The rest of the story....

You wrote

Do I need to save the (Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files, and the LRV’s and the THM’s)?

I am not sure what that is all about when you triplicate the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. And, what are the LRV's and THM's? Be that as it may...

The folders that you are finding in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 will  regenerate automatically for each project even if you delete them..You can minimize what is in them----

a. You can disable the Auto-Save feature in Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave, giving you an empty Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave folder.

b. You can delete the preview files (rendered files) in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, but then, when you are in the project, you will get an orange line over your Timeline content pointing you to Timeline render if you want the best possible preview of playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. .... the program's search for rendered files seems to be related to your reorganization scheme.

c. You can delete the content of the Media Cache Files Folder (conformed audio), but the program will automatically regenerate them if and when it decides it needs to do tat.

I would encourage you to set up a maintenance program to avoid pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video, but they are a fact of Premiere Elements life. And, you should be aware of the consequences.

Lots and lots more details.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                nealeh Level 5

Use File> Project Archiver to archive the project to your external HD and then open the project from there. if you only want the assets in your timeline on the external HD use the 'archive' option. If the project is a 'work in progress' and has assets not yet added to your timeline use the 'copy' option.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Keith

The Premiere Elements Project Archiver has its time and place. In your situation, I do not believe this is the time or place for it. All you will be doing is wasting hard drive space (internal or external hard drive) if you save projects on a routine basis by archiving them to generate Copied or Trimmed Folders from which to work.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

Consider, archiving projects, you will have copies of the project's source media copied to archived folder on hard drive as well as the originals of the source media which trace to copies of the source media in the project.

The nature of the archived folder requires copies of the project's source media being copied to that folder.  Rough and quick example, if you open a project and import just one 267 MB file and then archive that project, the Copied Folder would have a file size of 267 MB and the Trimmed Folder would have a file size of 192 MB. In either case, the project.prel file size would only be about 120 KB. It is those project source media copies in the archived folders that are eating up the space on the hard drive.

There are other scenarios that generate from all this once you open a Copied or Trimmed Folder and start working from them from the project.prel inside it.

More later if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                    nealeh Level 5

I disagree with you on this ATR.  Where did I ever suggest archiving them on a routine basis? As a one-off the archiver will save the project for KM Aerial Views to his external drive with all the media links intact and set to that external hard drive. Once he has checked it all works correctly from the external HD he can then delete the original from the local hard disk and work thereafter from the external.

This is an ideal way of achieving the objective of;

so that my Adobe Premier Elements Project can be re-opened properly.

without the user having to do anything manually.

Cheers,

--

Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

It sure sounded to me like a routine basis directive when you joined the thread for the first time and started post 4 with

"Use File> Project Archiver to archive the project to your external HD....."

There is no disagreement if you are talking about using the Project Archiver as indicated on a non routine basis.

Later I will post some of the pitfalls (aka considerations) when working targeting the project.prel file in the archived folder

for continuing use of the project that was archived.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                        KM Aerial Views Level 1

You guys are great.  You are giving me a lot of great information that I really need to review.  A.T. Romano, you are correct.  I am using Windows 7 and I have no idea why some of my comments came out in triplicate?  The LRV's and the THM's are files that appear on either side of a GoPro Video file.  Not sure if I need to keep them or not?  Nealeh, your response, "Use File> Project Archiver to archive the project to your external HD and then open the project from there." seems to be pretty logical.  I will have to try that out and see how it works.  That seems like the kind of solution I was looking for.  Why do you both seem to believe that is not a good choice for routine though?  I am looking for some kind of 'workflow' that I can duplicate everytime I work on a new video project.  Also, to have a workflow where I can use clips from different projects to add to a 'showreel' when I get enough good material.  If that makes any sense?

Thank you again for your great responses.  I will do the homework you have given me to try and understand better what you have expained.

Keith

This is a sample playlist of mine of what I am trying to learn all of this for...  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYD1AhKiRm7s1Bmyd-sJvs49sKHQ6RmGa

• 9. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Keith

Thanks for the follow up with interesting and important information on what you seek.

It just hit midnight here so best I supplement what I have written already in the light of day.

Your road testing of the suggestions should help you determine which will enhance your

video editing workflow.

We are looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the chance.

ATR

• 10. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Keith

Did some early morning Googling and found the following explanation for your the GoPro LRV and THM.

What are .LRV and .THM GoPro files?

From the sound of it, you should be able to use these files on the computer by renaming the file extension to .mp4.

But they sound like low resolution companion files as explained in the link. If you have the high resolution file, I do not see why you would need them in a Premiere Elements project.

Please review and see if you come to the same conclusion. The need for non Premiere Elements matters may be something else.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                              nealeh Level 5

KM Aerial Views wrote:

Why do you both seem to believe that is not a good choice for routine though?

I rather assumed that for new projects you would work directly from your external hard disk and were just looking for a simple method to put your existing projects to the external HD without the dreaded missing media problems.

A lot depends of course on the access speed of that external HD. If it's poor then then by all means complete new projects on your main HD and use the archiver when you're done to put it to the external HD - that's exactly what the archiver is all about. And if you need to make minor tweaks then you can always do so directly from the External HD.

Note though that the archiver does not delete the source material, so you will need to do that manually to free up the space on your main drive.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 12. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                                KM Aerial Views Level 1

Thank you both for all of your help!  I have worked on the information you have given me and I now have a complete solution to my problems.  I can now back up all of my existing files, and I will be starting to work on a new project tonight without stress of the unknown.

Thanks again!

Keith

• 13. Re: Question about saving Adobe Premier Elements Project files in Premier Elements 12?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Keith

Great news that you are at an OK place with your project saving strategy.

As I mentioned in a prior post in your thread, I was planning on providing supplemental information which would include working through the scenarios that you might be expected to run into in the various saving schemes for Premiere Elements.

But, since you say that you have developed a complete solution to your problems, I will hold off on that.

However, any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR