6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2014 8:58 AM by A.T. Romano

how do i cut myself out of the shot

lindalindalindalinda

I was demo-ing some software and i recorded the client's reactions on my webcam as she was using it. I didn't realize I was in almost the whole clip. Is there any way I can "crop" myself out of the clip? I am an inexperienced Premiere Elements 10 user. Your help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There's no "magic" way to remove yourself from a video without it being obvious.

But you can use the Crop effect to cut the area of the frame that you appear in out, leaving black in its place, if that's what you'd like.

• 2. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
            lindalindalindalinda Level 1

I looked for Crop and couldn't find it. Can you please explain how to do that, thanks

• 3. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Crop is in the  Transform category of Effects, linda.

• 4. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

I would like to contribute the following to your thread.

Whether an object can be "removed or masked from a video clip" lends itself to many considerations, including location of the object in the frame and the frequency of appearance of that object across the duration of the video. I can envision an object being "edged" out in many ways if the object was at the right or left edge of the frame or otherwise in a co-operative position....Crop Tool (as mentioned by SG) is one thought. But others include one of the Garbage Mattes, Effects Mask to create a blur over the object, or maybe just by scaling up the image.

In Premiere Elements 10 (assumed Windows 7, 8, 8.1 64 bit), you would look at

a. Crop Tool. Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Transform/Crop. Once you have dragged the Crop effect into your video, you would use the Effects area's Edit Effects to access the Properties Palette where a Crop Panel expanded would be available for the required slider adjustments.

b. Garbage Matte. Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Keying/Four- Point Garbage Matte or one of the other garbage mattes. Once one of the garbage mattes has been dragged into the video clip and you have clicked on the Garbage Matte Panel in the Properties Panel, you will see a bounding box with handles in the Edit area monitor. You can move those handles around. Anything within the area of the bounding box is retained; anything outside the bounding box is excluded.

c. Effects Mask. For selected clip. Clip Menu/Effects Mask. One of the blur effects can be dragged into the Effects Mask box that is generated in the process.

See Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Blur & Sharpen/and then one of the blur effects.

d. Scale. Click image in Edit Area monitor and then use bounding box handles to zoom in enough to cut off the unwanted person at an edge.

Major consideration in all of the above is that, when you apply an effect to a video, you apply it to the whole video. So if your unwanted object is moving around then we will need to involve concept of keyframing in which you can vary your effect over the duration of the video.

See Properties Palette/your specific Effect Panel and the toggle animation icon there. This keyframing can also be done at the level of the Timeline clip's rubberband (the orange line that runs horizontally across a video clip and audio clip.

Further details can be posted if you think that you have a doable task based on any of the details supplied above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
                  lindalindalindalinda Level 1

Thank you. I didn't see the answers in time so I found zoom, which worked, although there was a big black margin on one side but now I will know for next time.

• 6. Re: how do i cut myself out of the shot
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good progress.

If you need any fine tuning of the details that you are working with or considering, but do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR