6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 12:23 PM by joev

Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File

joev Level 3

How can I stop items that were copy and pasted from one document to another to stop opening the original (copied from) file when selected in the new (pasted into) file?

• 1. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need more information. What kind of "items" were copied and pasted? Version of InDesign? Computer platform?

• 2. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File
            joev Level 3

CC 9.2.1 on MAC OSX 10.9.3.

I copied all the picture and text boxes from one document and pasted them into a new document. The image links in the link panel all point to the original directory with the images which is what I would expect. If I click on either a picture or text box in the new (pasted into) document the original (copied from) document will open if it is not already opened.

Hope that is clearer.

• 3. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File

InDesign works different than other programs you may be used to, which is causing your problem.

When you want to include a graphic, don't copy it and paste it into InDesign. In general, that will produce a low-resolution copy. Instead, choose File > Place, and navigate to the graphic you want to include on your hard drive, and place it. That creates a link to the external graphic. You'll be able to view the link in the Links panel (Window > Links).

It would also be better to create a new text frame with the Type tool, and paste content into it; or to choose File > Place to place an external file, like a Word document.

• 4. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File
                joev Level 3

Although this is nice information, I already found in the documentation. It still does not answer my question.

Sometimes, it is to time consuming to to place all the pictures from one page of a document into another. For instance, you are creating a DPS project from a print project. It is much easier to grab the content from the print document and then rescale for your DPS layout using copy and paste. Having to recreate each page would be extremely time consuming and lead to layout recreation and errors.

Is there away to stop the pasted material from causing the original document to open the copied from document when it is selected?

• 5. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File

Regardless of how you get the content in, simply selecting a graphic with the Selection (solid arrow) tool shouldn't cause it to launch. This is done by choosing Edit Original, or Option/Alt-double-clicking.

Try restoring  your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

• 6. Re: Copy and Pasted Items Open Original File
                    joev Level 3

Thanks Steve. Trashing the preferences has stopped the problem; at least for now.