26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 2:45 AM by MrDavidPeters Branched to a new discussion.

After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

FatalDanyV

Recently I have started working on a new project and can't work on it because my RAM Previews are not in real time anymore. I have only had this problem since I started this project a few days ago. Every other project I have done I've never had this problem before.

I have 10 GB of ram allocated to After Effects, my clips are in 59.94 fps which I have set the composition to as well. When I ram preview it tells me 50.019/59.94 I know what this mean, I understand it's telling me to change my composition's frame rate to 50 frames, however if I do this then music plays too slow. Right now my problem is that the clips aren't playing fast enough for me to see if my editing and time syncing is acurate. When I render the video everything is synced up fine but this is making my editing very inconvenient and I would like a fix please. I tried: Clearing my disk and media cache, unchecking "render multiple frames at once", taking off all effects on the clips, using different clips, AND even reinstalling After Effects CS6 but nothing has worked. I really badly need a fix to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

• 1. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, sorry, but this is useless. You have not provided any system info, no exact comp settings, no details about effects and footage used nor anything else. There is a million potential reasons from flakey CoDecs to color management to specific video hardware to something weird happening with effects that don't cache properly. You have to do a lot better than just posting longwinded, bu all too generic descriptions of what you see.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
            FatalDanyV Level 1

I am running on an Intel Core i7 Processor

With 16GB of ram (8 of which I have allocated to After Effects)

A 64 Bit Windows 8 Operating System

A 3GB Nvidia GeForce GT 630 Graphics Card

My Comp Settings are:

1280 x 720 Resolution

59.94 Frame Rate

At full RAM Preview Resolution

The only effects I have on the video is an intense color correction which is turned off whilst editing. I only turn it on before rendering. Even if I were to turn it on and RAM Preview my computer always used to be able to handle it. Which is why I don't think it's an issue with my computer. I have NO Visual Effects added while RAM Previewing, just some music in the background and for some reason it just won't RAM Preview in real time. As I said this has never happened to me before so it is confusing me very much. Hopefully with this additional information you can help me find a solution. Thanks.

• 3. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exact version number is your AE? I know it's CS6, so the version number will start with 11, but there should be numbers after that like 11.0.4.

Other useful info listed here.

Why are you editing in After Effects? After Effects is not an editing program. You should edit in Premiere. It is much, much easier. Then you can import your Premiere project into After Effects for doing color grading.

• 4. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your comp panel resolution? I always have mine set to Auto. When you see in the info panel that the frame rate is different,  50.019/59.94, You are not being asked to change the frame rate. This is just telling you how fast the comp is being played back as a ram preview. If you change the comps frame rate then you will change the length of time it takes to playback all of the frames which will change the speed of the comp.

How are you planning to deliver your final project? Most media players on most systems will not playback a full 59.94 frame rate project. Only newer systems with a fair amount of horsepower will.

Is your footage interlaced? If so, then your comp should be 28.97 fps and your footage should be interpreted as interlaced and dropped into the composition.  I just don't know enough about your project to give you any real help. A few more details would help us all figure out how to help.

• 5. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                  FatalDanyV Level 1

@Szalam I am running on AE CS6 Version 11.0.0.378

I am Editing in After Effects because it has just enough features for editing for me to do my my videos. I'm not some big time editor I just edit Call of Duty videos like on my channel if you wanna get a visual of what I'm trying to do this is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhqLB9HXHH0

@Rick My comp panel resolution is set to Full. As I said before I have never had a problem with rendering or RAM previewing as I have a pretty buffed up computer with 8 GB of RAM allocated to AE CS6 alone.

My footage is not interlaced and is originally in 59.94 fps which is why I have my comp settings at 59.94 fps, also, my Windows Media Player has no problem playing videos in 59.94 fps

I am not sure what you mean by "Deliver" my final project, but I intend to render it from AE CS6 as I always do.

If anything else is needed please tell me and I will gladly add the information as I would like this issue to be solved ASAP. Thanks again.

• 6. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

FatalDanyV wrote:

@Szalam I am running on AE CS6 Version 11.0.0.378

You are four major bug-fix updates behind. If you're going to stick with the old CS6 version instead of going to the new CC version, you should update to version 11.0.4.

• 7. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                      FatalDanyV Level 1

How do you update After Effects I don't see an option for it..

• 8. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Look under the Help menu

• 9. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                          FatalDanyV Level 1

Szalam I updated and this did not fix the issue

• 10. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                            FatalDanyV Level 1

I have never heard of After Effects CC before. I am downloading it now and seeing if this will fix my problem.

• 11. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                              FatalDanyV Level 1

Even with After Effects CC And After Effects CS6 up to date, I am still not RAM Previewing in Real Time. Someone please help

• 12. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

I know you say you're "not a master editor", but editing in Premiere is much, much easier than AE.
                                What you describe doing should definitely be done in Premiere first and then take it into AE for effects.

How are you doing the RAM preview?

You've tried it in both CC and CS6?

Have you tried allocating a bit more of your RAM to AE?

Try some of these tips for optimizing for performance in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

• 13. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                  FatalDanyV Level 1

Allocating more RAM? Are you even reading my responses? I have EIGHT GIGABYTES allocated to AE CS6. As I also said I have NEVER Had this issue before so it is not my computer. In BOTH CS6 And CC I am importing a video clip, of a video game (The same clip) into a blank comp with nothing else and RAM Preview to view the clip, once the clip starts playing via RAM Preview in the info tab it says "50.019/59.94 fps NOT realtime" Also, everyone that does what I do edits in After Effects. It is just easy for us. So no I will not learn to use premiere, I just want a fix to this issue so I can get this project done.

• 14. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If your RAM preview is playing out at ~50 frames per second, not 59.94fps, then there is a bottleneck between the RAM and the screen. It could be the speed of the RAM bus, but it's more likely a limitation of drawing a large number of pixels through the GPU to a large monitor.

Why are you using a frame rate of 59.94 frames per second? That is twice the frame rate at the high end of the typical range for online video (typically 15-30 frames per second).

• 15. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                      FatalDanyV Level 1

As I said before. The clips are in 59.94 frames, so the composition is in 59.94 frames. If when I upload to the internet it goes down in frame rate so be it. However, if I wanna watch it on my computer I want it to be good quality. I do have a large monitor but I've been using this monitor since December and haven't had a problem with it until now.

• 16. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> The clips are in 59.94 frames, so the composition is in 59.94 frames. If when I upload to the internet it goes down in frame rate so be it.

You are misunderstanding the typical video workflow.

Composition setting are supposed to match the characteristics of the intended output, not necessarily the characteristics of the imported footage. This is how you ensure that what you preview exactly matches what you output and what your viewers will see. Consider, also, that most compositions use assets with many different frame rates, sizes, etc.

> I do have a large monitor but I've been using this monitor since December and haven't had a problem with it until now.

Great. But you're having a problem now. And it's because of a bottleneck somewhere between your RAM and drawing the pixels to the screen. One more reason that this might be happening is that you're running a GPU-heavy application; note that web browsers can also be GPU hogs these days.

• 17. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                          FatalDanyV Level 1

No I'm not misunderstanding anything. If I set the composition to 29.97 fps when the clips are in 59.94 fps then the clips will play at half speed, same thing with the song. Also I just tried closing everything but after effects and that didn't work. If you really believe it's a problem with my monitor then tell me how to fix it.

• 18. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

FatalDanyV wrote:

If I set the composition to 29.97 fps when the clips are in 59.94 fps then the clips will play at half speed, same thing with the song.

No it won't. I use 59.94 clips in 29.97 compositions all the time. It's super-useful if you want to slow down your footage for slo-mo effects, but it will play real-time in the composition unless you tell it otherwise.

• 19. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

FatalDanyV wrote:

Allocating more RAM? Are you even reading my responses? I have EIGHT GIGABYTES allocated to AE CS6.

That's not very much. I have 48 GB on my main work computer. We are just trying to help you troubleshoot the problem. You can allocate more RAM in your memory and multiprocessing settings and then, if that doesn't work, you can change it back.

• 20. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

Dude, we are trying to help you.

This is a user-to-user forum where people help out in their free time. Even the Adobe employees you see here are doing it in their spare time.
                                                If you need official help from Adobe staff, please contact Adobe technical support.

I was seriously trying to help you. If my suggestions aren't working for you, you are doing something wrong or have something set differently.

There is a setting to preserve frame rates in nested comps and many other possibilities for what could be wrong. After Effects is a very powerful and thus very complicated program. There are troubleshooting things we can do to figure out the problem. We are trying to go through them so we can fix your problem. You've responded with profanity. Not cool.

• 21. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I deleted an inappropriate post.

Further violation of the terms of use of this forum may result in the termination of the violator's account.

• 22. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                                    FatalDanyV Level 1

Let me get this straight. If what you're telling me to do isn't working, then I'M doing something wrong? Okay buddy.

• 23. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time

It's working for me.

It's not working for you.

Either you are doing something incorrectly or you have a setting different than I do (which I said in my post).

I can't tell you the number of times people on these forums have missed a simple little setting that was causing their problem.

I and others have been offering assistance in figuring out what you have going on.

You had posts here from me (over a decade of experience with AE), Dave LaRonde (multiple decades), and Todd Kopriva (who's entire job is developing After Effects). All of us have been trying to help you IN OUR FREE TIME (in my case, while I'm waiting for renders and on my lunch break) and yet you seem belligerent.

Since you seem disinclined to accept any help, I can only wish you godspeed and good luck in your future endeavors.

• 24. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                                        FatalDanyV Level 1

Disinclined to accept any help? I'm beginning to think you can't read. I've tried everything you people have suggested, and I seem disinclined to accept help? Gee, I wonder how that works. Also I don't care about their experience, I don't use After Effects like any of you do. I bet you didn't even bother to watch the example (made by me a while ago) that I posted that relates to what I'm trying to do now. Whatever, if you can't help then fine. I'll figure it out on my own.

• 25. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way you can get a clip to slow down when you drop in a comp that has a different frame rate is to re-interpret the clip with a new frame rate. BASIC movie theory here. Most people do not understand it until they really work through the theory.

• 27. Re: After Effects will not RAM Preview in real time
                                                            MrDavidPeters

Mylenium - Don't be such a downer, dude.