1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2014 8:29 PM by John T Smith

hard drive partition for video editing

larrycam

Hello:

I am using one of those older generation of PC and I have no plan to upgrade my hardware until next year.

I also have a copy of Premier Element 10 and I decided to reinstall my Windows 7 Ultimate with Premier Element 10 to my PC.

My PC hardware meets the minimum requirement for Premier Element 10.

The only advantage of my PC is that I replaced the hard drive with a SSD drive and I tested the SSD with a benchmark software & getting 100mb transfer rate.

Questions:

1. Shall I dedicate one partition for Windows 7 plus software only and add an extension partition to output the edited video files?

2. Is it a disadvantage if Windows OS, software and loading video and exporting video are all in one partition?

3. What would be an ideal partition allocation for Premier Element 10 for Full HD video editing in my case?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: hard drive partition for video editing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a platter drive, the advice I have seen is to NEVER use a partition, because the one set of read/write heads "go crazy" (non-technical term) trying to be in two places at the same time... reading program/swap file information from the boot drive, while at the same time trying to read/write data files

I have NO idea about how an SSD drive works in a case like that... but I will GUESS that due to the nature of selecting different "bits" instead of moving a physical arm you will see very little difference however you proceed

Over in the Premiere Pro hardware forum https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum there is a lot more discussion, one of which is Tweakers Page