6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 10:25 AM by Faligula

$1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?

Faligula

Hi all,

I'm doing a build, likely via MicroCenter because I don't trust myself putting it together, as I'm switching from FCP to Premiere. Planning on running AE as well. No OC.

Possible concerns are wattage of power supply, is the case OK, and am I getting the right motherboard.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, sees any problems, places I am over-doing it and can save some money, etc.

Based on PCpartpicker, this comes to around $1300. I'd like to stay in that range, give or take $100.

This is my parts list:

CPU:

Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:

Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

&

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 

Video Card:

Asus GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card

Case:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 

Power Supply:

Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive:

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer 

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Monitor:

Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do NOT understand the serious technical reasons, but I have read in other messages in this forum that the Samsung 840 PRO series of SSD drives are "the best" currently available... the Samsung drive may be mentioned in Tweakers Page

The Fractal case pictures I found show a side window... but NO SIDE MOUNT for a fan... my opinion is you need at least one side mounted fan (120mm for less noise & more air than 80mm) to blow room (cooler than inside the case) air directly onto the GPU and CPU for increased cooling

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com has one side fan mounting PLUS two front fan mountings PLUS one top fan mounting... which is a slightly newer model of the case I used to build my wife's computer Adobe Notes

I don't know... does Win7 Home Premium allow more than 16Gig if you ever want to add ram?

• 2. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would change the video card to 750Ti 2GB. I would also suggest the Crucial M550 SSD drives. You want Win 7 Pro or 8.1. Home Premium is limited to 16GB of ram. The PSU is fine. I would also take a look at the Z97 boards. There are several Asus boards that are budget oriented.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
              Faligula Level 1

John and Eric:

Thanks so much for your responses. (John, I wish I'd seen your Adobe notes page when I was starting my research!) Went down to microcenter today and used most of your suggestions (the salesperson was a fan of the build).

My changes were:

-went with Samsung SSD EVO (really good deal, so didn't go with PRO or the Crucial, so we'll see how that goes - Eric, just for my own knowledge, why do you suggest Crucial over Samsung?)

-Coolmaster ATX midcase with fan spots everywhere (have three total, with room for expansion)

-Windows 7 Pro

-750Ti graphics card

-Crucial RAM, 2x8gb 1600

(stayed with the asus mobo, as they had a great deal)

The whole shebang put me back almost exactly $1500, including monitor, $20 logitech cheapo keyboard/mouse, new set of $20 sony headphones, 1 120mm fan, $100 for labor, and $60 in mail-in rebates.

I feel very solid. Thanks fellas. I'll do an update here once I've done some work on it.

-Tom

• 4. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Crucial M550 drives have better performance and MLC versus the Evo drives. The better MLC equates to greater durability. That very well may not be an issue for an OS drive depending on what you use it for besides OS and programs.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Tom,

Adobe loves large file sustained write speed - something that the EVO falls flat on its face on and something that the M550 does extremely well. I'm not talking subtle differences either, but rather magnitudes with the Crucial performing large file writes maybe two or three times faster. The benchmarks look for the EVO which uses something in PC RAM between the O/S and the drive. Bill on this forum bought some EVOs and did not like them, "poor write performance".

If I were you, I would return the EVOs immediately and get as much M550 space as you choose to afford.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: $1300 i7 4770 build - any problems?
                    Faligula Level 1

Whew, got the change in just in time! Thanks a lot, Jim. That's definitely a significant upgrade. Much appreciated.