17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 5:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is my video choppy after importing?

Popnfrsh24

Howdy!

I am on a quest to find a video editing software that actually works with my computer, and it seems like Adobe Premiere elements is in first place so far. Which isn't saying much because I am still having a lot of troubles using this software.

I am recording myself using a webcam & I am using the Windows Media Encoder software to record. From there, I am importing my .wmv file into adobe premiere elements. Whenever I play my imported video in the main window, it lags terribly. The video will play fine for about a second, then it will only show frame by frame clips of the movie with about a second in between each frame. The audio, however, is not lagging at all.

I am confused on why this would be happening. I just recently bought a computer to record and produce music with. I spec'd it so that it could handle recording stuff no problem...however I know the one area I skimped out on was my video card. Here are the specs of my computer:

>Model: ASUS Desktop PC M11AD Series

>Processor: Intel Core i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10 GHz

>RAM: 8.00 GB

>Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

My processor comes with integrated graphics, so that I is what I am using for my graphics card. It's called Intel HD Graphics 4600. I know that integrated graphics are not ideal to edit movies with, but I thought I could get away with the bare essentials to make simple movies with. However, I am getting very poor performance when I watch my video so I am thinking that my graphics card could be causing the problem.

I have seen suggestions to "Render the Work Area", which I have actually tried. It is not working on my computer. For some reason, it will not render my video! All that happens whenever I press the render button, it just plays the video....

I have also monitored my RAM when playing the video to see if I am running out of RAM...my tests showed that I maxed out around 45% Memory usage when playing the video. Isn't 45% not straining the system too much?

I also was recommended to download the program GPU-Z to monitor some outputs of my video card. There are two different fields, "Memory Usage (Dedicated)" and "Memory Usage (Dynamic)". I monitored both of these while recording and the Dedicated was at 0 MB and the Dynamic didn't go higher than 116 MB. This doesn't seem like it is straining the graphics card...this won't be the problem will it?

Can anyone shed some light onto what is happening with my computer?

Is it a software issue with Adobe premiere elements?

Any help would be much appreciated...I have 2 days left with my Adobe trial. I would really like it if I could get adobe working properly...I can justfiy buying it if I can figure out what is wrong with mine!

Thanks,

Popnfrsh

• 1. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

popnfrsh24

What are the properties of this .wmv file that you are importing into Premiere Elements (assumed version 12) on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlace or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Duration

What is the project preset that you or the program is setting to match the properties of this source file? There should be a match between the project preset and the properties of the source video. See Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio to confirm your project settings.

Are your Premiere Elements 12 Windows problems restricted to your .wmv file from your webcam? Do you have the current problems if your source media are photos and videos of other formats?

Please review, consider, and supply the requested information. Then we will decide what next. What is your intended export for your Timeline content?

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

popnfrsh24

Add On...

I have seen suggestions to "Render the Work Area", which I have actually tried. It is not working on my computer. For some reason, it will not render my video! All that happens whenever I press the render button, it just plays the video....

Need to Timeline Render with wrong project preset

Since I do not know your background, I would ask "Do you have any idea as to the concept of rendering the Timeline content? If you or the program has not or cannot set the correct project preset, you can get an orange render indicator line over that imported content, indicating the need for Timeline rendering in order to get the best possible preview of the playback of that content in the Edit area monitor. If you do not have that orange render indicator you cannot render the Timeline content since the program decided (no orange indicator line) that you already have the best possible preview. So, if you try to render, you will get Timeline content playback in the monitor and not Timeline content rendering.

Need to Timeline Render after each edit

Longer version of Timeline rendering considerations later if needed.

At this point, before digging into RAM, video cards (for Premiere Elements not in the same class as for Premiere Pro (CUDA), and such, you need to assure that the basics of the project settings were met and that the properties of the source media were known completely.

Miscellaneous

a. Where are the Scratch Disks pointed to on the hard drive and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

b. When you attempt to render the Timeline, are the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar spanning the entire Timeline content with an orange line over the content?

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
              Popnfrsh24 Level 1

Awesome, thanks guys for the response.  It is too late for me now to dive into this, but I will definitely tomorrow after work!

I know this sounds like a strange request, but does anyone know if I can extend my adobe premiere trial?  I have one more day on my trial....I would like to buy this program because it was the best out of all that I have tried.  But, at the same time, I don't feel very comfortable buying a software when I am having some major issues with it.  I have no problem buying it if I fixed my problem.

Are you adobe experts fairly confident that you can help me get to the bottom of my problem?  That might justify it for me to buy the software if I know I will eventually be able to fix it.

Thanks,

Popnfrsh

• 4. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Popnfrsh24

Thanks for the reply.

We are not Adobe here. We are users in a user to user forum. Keeping that in mind, classically Adobe offers an Adobe ID with Password only one tryout download per version for 30 days.

Another thought to factor into your decision making is that, after you purchase Premiere Elements from Adobe, it will offer a refund within 30 days of purchase if you are not satisfied with the product.

Without more information on the properties of your source media and the project settings and other, it is not possible to offer guarantees on the outcome which could involve use of correct project setup and/or the need for workarounds. The answers will be in the details. I think that we can define the issues starting from source media/project settings and moving forward to utilize the tryout time remaining most effectively.

Defining of issues is not the same as offering a fix or workaround, depends on what the definition turns out to be.

The information requested from you is quick to come by. We can work on all this within the next 24 hours and hopefully come up with defining the issues before your tryout expires.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                  Popnfrsh24 Level 1

Yes, you are correct, I am using Premiere elements version 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I don't know much about video terms, so i am not sure if some of these will be right....but I will supply as much I can find.

Video compression: Um, not sure what you are expecting...but here is all i found about video compression

Video - High definition quality video (CBR) - codec - Windows media video 9

Audio - CD quality audio (CBR) - Codec - Windows media audio 9.2

target bit rates - 5073.03 Kbps

Buffer size - 5 seconds

Video smoothness - 85 (sharpest)

Audio compression

Frame size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 29.97 NTSC

Audio format: 64 kbps, 48kHz, stereo CBR

Interlace or Progressive:  Not sure about this..... No interlacing?  Pixel format is default as well.

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Is this the same as Output Aspect Ratio? 1.78:1

Duration: 3 min 18 sec

I thought of going under the general settings and change the properties to match...but they seem to be matching already.  Also, a lot of the fields are grayed out and I can't change them.  Is this Adobe automatically selecting the correct format for me?

I just tried out another .wmv file, and Adobe premiere elements works fine when watching the video.  Ok, so this must mean there is an issue with my Windows Media Encoder settings correct?  Am I just importing too large of a video to handle?  I believe I already tried to make a lower quality wmv file with Windows media encoder, and it didn't seem to work any better when I imported it.  Maybe I didnt do it though....I get confused on what all I have done when I just stare and poke around with settings for hours haha.

Thanks,

Pop

• 6. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pop

Background Information on Project Settings (Project file aka Project.Prel)

The output from these screen capture programs can be highly problematic for Premiere Elements. Sometimes the capture output format does not import completely as well as has a variety of other workflow issues. But, before blaming the screen capture program, you need to assure that you know the properties of your source media and that you (manually) or the project (automatically) set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. Once that is done you are good to go in the Edit area, deciding between project glitches and video incompatibilities.

With versions 11 and 12, the project took over the role of setting the project preset in the new project dialog. So, typically you do not get to see the new project dialog. The default project preset is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or its PAL counterpart. When you import your video and drag it to the Expert workspace Timeline, the project automatically sets the project preset based on the properties of the first video drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it correctly; sometimes not. When not, the result is not the closest fit but rather the project default NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080p30 or its PAL counterpart. More details on this are in my blog post on the subject, and writeup includes the how to on how to set the project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

You can find out what the project has set automatically from the readings of Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio found Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What Next....

Is the video properties information that you posted above and which I have summarized below those of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements and having problems with the preview?

1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Video Compression = Windows Media Video 9

Audio Compression = Windows Media Audio 9.2

File Extension = .wmv

If so, please start a new project and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97p

For details for manual project preset setting see that information in the lower section of

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Then back in the Expert workspace of 12, import your 1280 x 720p30 using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1. When the file arrives in the Timeline, is there an orange line over its content or no colored line?

OrangeRenderIndicator.JPG

If you do see that orange render indicator line, then please press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to Timeline render the file. Is there any difference in the playback of the unrendered vs the rendered here? I am hoping that you do not see any colored line there and that the video plays back OK since no Timeline rendering needed nor possible. But, let us see.

The part of this is for you to let us know where that other .wmv came from, the one that you say had no problems at playback in Premiere Elements Edit area.

By the way, is your web cam recognized by Premiere Elements12 and its Add Media/Web cam or WDM?

More later.

Thanks for your follow up. I think that you have made so significant gains.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pop

Just an add on to my post numbered 6...I am preparing for some additional thoughts about your workflow.

What is the brand/model of your web cam? And, did it come with the Windows Media Encoder as part of its packaging?

Is this web cam built into the computer or is it an external web cam (USB connection)? Are you able to control the recording

software for it?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                        Popnfrsh24 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  You give real good suggestions

Anyways, my trial ended :-(  I believe I will fix the problem if I keep on chugging along with you.  I found a copy on Amazon for $59 bucks, but I will have to wait for it to get shipped here.  Unless there is some place I could buy a software license for that same price :-)

Will this post close after a certain time?  I will respond as soon as I can get elements up and running again.

Thanks,

pop

• 9. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pop

Thanks for the reply.

The price for your software purchase sounds good. In all purchases, check out shipping charges and any state taxes.

If you think that you will ever need Photoshop Elements 12, think about purchasing the bundled Photoshop Elements 12 and

Premiere Elements 12. It is less expensive than if you purchase both separately. But, if you do not need it, do not bother. Premiere Elements 12 will come with the Elements Organizer 12. Generalizing for now, you can install Camera Raw for the import of raw image format and .dng as source media for your video projects, but you cannot open the Camera Raw dialog without Photoshop Elements. Lots more details if and when needed.

This thread remains open. But with all the traffic here it will get hidden from view quickly, so best bookmark the thread to find it quickly. You can also find your old threads here under the Activities section of your profile.

I am keeping a positive thought for your projects, but double check your money back opportunities from your place of purchase - can differ.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. Just let us know how we can help with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                            Popnfrsh24 Level 1

ATR,

I purchased the bundle pack and now I am up and running again.  I created a new project with the presets that you described above, and I added the clip in the expert window.  When I dragged it into the Audio/Video 1 timeline, I did not see an orange bar signifying that I needed to render it.  However, when I played the video, it still had the same problems.  I then tried to render it, but it did not work properly.  It again just played the video without rendering.  Are you sure that preset is the one I should be using?

The other .wmv file I used was just a random video that I had downloaded via the internet.  It was not captured with a webcam software.

My webcam is in fact recognized by Premiere Elements.  I made a quick clip using the capture function inside of Adobe.  I then put that video on the timeline, and I did notice a orange bar signifying that I should render it.  I was able to render it, but the audio and video were not synced up!  It is frustrating that I can't get any type of solution to work!

I have a logitech C510 HD webcam.  I really like the picture of the webcam, however, it seems like the default fps setting on it is 15 fps.  If I use Logitech's webcam software, it only will allow me to record at 15 fps.  The webcam is capable of 30 fps though.  I have found this to be a problem with all of the video editing softwares I tried, because they typicially want 24/30 or 60 fps.  I did some research and found that Windows Media Encoder was a program that I could use to manually set the fps of my webcam.  That is the sole reason why I am using Windows Media Encoder.  Do you happen to know of any other free software that I could record with my camera at 30 fps?

When I captured the video using Adobe Premiere, I noticed that the fps of the video that was created was 14 fps.  Is this part of the problem?

• 11. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                              Popnfrsh24 Level 1

Also, If I use my logitech webcam software and import it into Premiere, everything works great.  I can even make the movie and everything is synced up.  It is nice to know that I have a working solution.  However, with this solution, I am still only at 15 fps, which is not ideal.  I do not like the "choppy" look of 15 fps, so I would like to try and find a solution that will work with 30 fps.

• 12. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Popnfrsh24

Referring to your post numbered 11.

I would like to get a look at the properties of the webcam video...not only looking for the video and audio compressions, but also whether or not the recording is giving you a variable or constant frame rate.

If you have not already, please download and install the free MediaInfo video audio properties readout program. The View Menu/Tree View from that program will give us what we need to know about that video in order to make good Premiere Elements decisions for working with it. MediaInfo is a great program for now and future project use. But, take care in the download and install of it so that you do not encounter unwanted carry alongs that will create computer problem especially for the browsers.  However you manage to find the information, what I am looking for

a. variable or constant 15 fps frame rate

b. video and audio properties to confirm that the Premiere Elements project settings have been set up (by you or the program) appropriately for this particular video.

Also, when you see a questionable preview in the Edit area, good idea to do a mini test run in export to determine if you are dealing with a previewing problem or a video problem.

We will be watching for further news on this aspect of your projects.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Popnfrsh24

Referring to your post numbered 10.

What frame size is your C510 HD Webcam actually giving you....SD (640 x 480 or 720 x 480) or HD (1280 x 720) or other.

I have found that the HD webcams that I have dealt with say HD webcam, but give a SD video when used in Premiere Elements Add Media/"Webcam or WDH".

I think that we need to focus on the frame rate and whether it is a variable or constant frame rate 15 frames per second.

The way to do that would be to use a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo (View Menu/Tree View).

MediaInfo | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

If the video uses a variable frame rate, you should see 3 frame rates for your video -  min., max, and mid.

If a variable frame rate is causing your problems, then the answer is to take the video into a program like HandBrake to change the variable to constant frame rate before import into Premiere Elements. Details for use of HandBrake in this instance will be supplied later if indicated.

http://handbrake.fr/

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                    Popnfrsh24 Level 1

What software are you wanting me to test my fps with?  Windows Media Encoder, my Logitech Webcam Software, or the capture function inside of Adobe Premiere Elements?  Or all 3?

• 15. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Popnfrsh24

You ask

What software are you wanting me to test my fps with?  Windows Media Encoder, my Logitech Webcam Software, or the capture function inside of Adobe Premiere Elements?  Or all 3?

Whatever video file (from whatever program) that you are taking into Premiere Elements and for which you are observing the problems with the playback in the Edit Area monitor? It is probably best to check out all 3.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                        its_juniper

Popnfrsh24 was this issue ever resolved? I think I am having similar problems with Premiere Elements 13

• 17. Re: Why is my video choppy after importing?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

its_juniper

We are looking forward to further information about your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 issue.

You might want to start a new thread with the specifics so that your situation and results do not get hidden under the details of another.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

Have you gone through the suggested troubleshooting already in this thread directed to Popnfrsh24 who worked with 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

As your schedule permits, we will be watching for your results and then customize the troubleshooting accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR