18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2014 6:27 AM by Eugene Tyson RSS

Constant Crashing in Indesign

daisygirl_79 Community Member

I am running Indesign CC on a Windows 7 PC.

I am a magazine designer and i build 100 page documents and work on a single document for 2 months at a time. Of late i am constantly having problems with my files crashing when i am trying to move content from one document to the other. I save back up copies and split documents in two and none of this is helping. It is constantly happening to my documents.

I have tried a variety of ways of moving content from one file to another to try and stop it form happening.

I have rebuilt whole 100 page magazine files to try and fix corrupt documents but then the same thing happens with my new documents. I have uni-stalled and re-installed Indesign too to try and save a whole magazine file. I

What is going on and what can i do to fix this? I am wasting HOURS trying to work around Indesigns constant problems.

I pay so much for the use of the software and all it does it waste my time, it is driving me bloody crazy.!! Does this happen with anyone else??

I have no confidence now after working on a magazine for 2 months that the next time i open it the file is going to be okay to work with.

HELP!! So frustrated

• 1. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
          P Spier CommunityMVP

First, see Remove minor corruption by exporting

Second, if you are updating legacy files, it works better if you export the originals to .idml or .inx in the original version and convert that. If that's not possible, export to .idml immediately after opening a legacy file.

Third, do a Save As to a new new name (I use versioning numbers for a back-up chain) at every major change change point or at the end of each editing session. This clears out useless change data that becomes inaccessible and leads to file bloat and potential corruption as well as providing the built-in backup chain in case something goes wrong.

Fourth, make sure ID is updated to the latest patch. They keep fixing bugs...

Fifth, and you may already be doing this, use a template file instead of "recycling" an old issue into a new one. Opening an old file and doing a Save As to begin a new issue over and over again is a good way to have small corruptions accumulate. Stable as ID is, it's not perfect, and eventually this method will fail you. Using a Template file means each issue is a 2nd generation copy of a clean original and much less likely to have problems.

• 2. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Thanks for your advice. It crashes every time i try to export to .idml unfortunately.

If by Legacy file you mean old versions of Indesign , i only use CC files. I don't have old versions of Indesign as i am a sole CC users. SO i can't try the whole back save things anyway.

I constantly save new versions to keep backups and they are all corrupting.

I am also using the lastest version of Indesign. It says that no updates are avialable.

I have also had to already recreate the 100 page document from scratch and the new file is also corrupt now too.

Driving me crazy, i have no reliability with Indesign anymore.

• 3. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
              Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

Export to IDML (It might be under FIle>Export or File>Save As) and choose InDesign Markup Lanaguge (IDML)

Open that in you InDesign - it opens as Untitled.

Save it with your preferred file name.

• 4. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Thanks Eugene, but It crashes every time i try to do this with ALL my magazine files.

• 5. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Make a copy of your files

Time to troubleshoot

https://forums.adobe.com/message/5466671#5466671

• 6. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

I am constantly making copies and everything is crashing. I can't add new pages. I can't move pages. The whole thing is stuff. I have already re-installed the program.

• 7. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Make a new file with the same page size, and dimensions, margins etc.

Open 1 of your troublesome files, and keep the New Document open too.

On your troublesome file, go to the Pages Panel and choose Move Pages, and select the New Document as the target destination.

See if that helps?

• 8. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

And by the way - reinstalling the program is not likely to do anything helpful.

You would have to uninstall this way Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

• 9. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

I have done this several times - the new document works for a few hours and then the new one starts crashing as well.

• 10. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
                            P Spier CommunityMVP

Sounds to me like a software conflict. First suspects are third-party plugins for ID (including font auto-activation) and utilities running in the background. What sort of A/V, malware, scanners or other utilities are you running?

• 11. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

I use Nortons Anti-virus software.

I don't use any plug-ins in Indesign at all.

I use Font Xplorer but i have all the auto-scan, auto-check stuff turned off for all the Adobe programs. I have been using this for years and have never had an issue with it.

• 12. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Just because you have never had issues before there's nothing to say an update to any program could cause it to malfunction.

Try not using Font Xplorer at all.

And disable Norton and see if that helps?

• 13. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

This is so frustrating. This is ridiculous for such "premium" software.

I appreciate all your feedback though.

I have read online about alot of people with the same problems. Why don't Adobe address these issues??

• 14. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
                                    hans-g. CommunityMVP

Hello DaisyGirl,

as a convinced user - with a focus esp. on Dreamweaver - it hurts me that  Adobe is not able to deliver perfectly running programs, so that this "crutch" the cleaner tool will become unnecessary.

That's why I initiated a thread "What's up with "Downloading, Installing, Setting Up"?"  >>> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1482526

Preran, a very qualified and dedicated employeea of Adobe's staff answered there: "Rest assured, we have a process in place to create reports for the top issues reported on Adobe forums and take them to the product teams for a fix. You will be seeing  many improvements to the experience with the next version of the Creative Cloud. About why there isn't a more elegant way sometimes other than to use the CC cleaner tool, I will ask around and get back to you."

To accelerate the process I therefore call upon you to support my efforts. Most successful could be to click a „like“ in Prerans answer (see consecutive number 11)

Thanks,

Hans-Günter

• 15. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
                                      P Spier CommunityMVP

A couple of other thoughts...

There's a blind-open script to export to .idml at Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK.  that might help.

Though I second Eugene's suggestion to temporarily remove the Font Xplorer plugin (not just deactivate), and to run MSconfig to prevent Norton from starting for a test run, this could also be a user issue. Try trashing the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) and if that is not successful, create a new user in Window and log in on that account and see if it makes a difference.

• 16. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

Thanks Peter,

I have trashed my preferences about 15 times today :-(

I have noticed that my CPU Usage goes through the roof everytime it crashes. Does this hint to it being a problem with my computer and not Indesign. I am not very tech savvy.

I have 446GB free on my hard drive. I have 8GB memory. It is an i7. I thought that would be enough to handle CC?

• 17. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign
                                          P Spier CommunityMVP

I consider 8 gb RAM sort of the minimum for Windows and ID. Are there other programs running? 32- or 64-bit Win7 and ID?

Do you use a Wacom tablet? If so, make sure you have the very latest drivers. You might want to check for updated video drivers, too.

• 18. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

No wacom. I only have Excel, Word and Firefox running.

I have been going along perfect for years and now this - what a disaster. It took me 12 hours today to do a 2 hours pagination for my magazine. I have it split into three sections now and have it done but i can't add or move pages around without it crashing. Fingers crossed it can get it to the printers and then i think i will buy a new computer!

Thanks again for your advice guys - i think it has just helped me to vent to someone!!

• 19. Re: Constant Crashing in Indesign

daisygirl_79 wrote:

Thanks Peter,

I have trashed my preferences about 15 times today :-(

I have noticed that my CPU Usage goes through the roof everytime it crashes. Does this hint to it being a problem with my computer and not Indesign. I am not very tech savvy.

I have 446GB free on my hard drive. I have 8GB memory. It is an i7. I thought that would be enough to handle CC?

It's more than enough to handle InDesign.

What's probably happening is a third-party plugin is crashing the program.

Remove font explorer and disable norton and see if that helps.

Turn each on separately to see if it's one or the other, or a conflict when they are all on.