2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 10:55 PM by Rick Gerard

Are there tricks to warp stabilize only partial clip?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I have a long take which is of someone walking into a door frame as the camera follows.  It stabilizes great until he approaches the door (and the camera gets really close to the subject), at which point it bounces around.  Is there any way to stabilize just a portion of it?  Of course I can cut but when using warp stabilize it's not possible to match the cut.  Basically it would be awesome if I could stabilize with 50% smoothness and taper it down to 0% smoothness...  Any tricks to make this happy or is it simply out of the question? to mask out

I am using masks which help quite a bit to get rid of objects (like the subject) which I don't want stabilized (I want the camera stabilized, not the actor).

Thanks!

-Stephen

• 1. Re: Are there tricks to warp stabilize only partial clip?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really. Unfortunately the vector synthesis is not exposed or else one could manipulate it and feed it back into the effect. That being so your best bet would probably be to track/ stabilize the section in mocha and then with a bit of manual keyframing, masking and distortion effects blend it in with the rest of the footage...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Are there tricks to warp stabilize only partial clip?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can match a warp stabilized shot with with the original to only stabilize a portion of the shot but you need to carefully choose the transition point. You can even cut up the shot and stabilize different parts with different settings. The key to making the cuts invisible is to use scale and/or distort tools to perfectly overlap the frame where the cut is made. This requires an overlap of one frame, so it makes a difference how you cut up your clip.

The key to getting a perfect match on the shot you are scaling to match is to use the difference blend mode. When you have the pixels lined up perfectly you will be able to see it easily.

Other than that, an approach like the one Mylenium suggested is a good place to start.