3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2007 7:00 PM by mtlindsa

Saving imported Photoshop files crashes FireworksCS3

Bill Grey
      Just tried to open a layered Photoshop CS2 file in Fireworks CS3. No problem....things look pretty good. But when I attempt to save this file as a Fireworks PNG file........the whole program hangs.....badly. Even when I attempt to use the Task Manager on my XP sp2 system......Fireworks doesn't play nicely. I get more than one instance of Fireworks and it won't close until about the 10th time of trying. This program is the one I'm most interested in using.....but it's going to need some work first.
        • 1. Re: Saving imported Photoshop files crashes FireworksCS3
          Level 7
          Bill Grey wrote:

> Just tried to open a layered Photoshop CS2 file in Fireworks CS3. No
          > problem....things look pretty good. But when I attempt to save this file as a
          > Fireworks PNG file........the whole program hangs.....badly. Even when I
          > attempt to use the Task Manager on my XP sp2 system......Fireworks doesn't play
          > nicely. I get more than one instance of Fireworks and it won't close until
          > about the 10th time of trying. This program is the one I'm most interested in
          > using.....but it's going to need some work first.

How large is the file size of the PSD, and what are its dimensions?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Saving imported Photoshop files crashes FireworksCS3
            Bill Grey Level 1
            Hi Linda,

Thanks for answering. This is a 800x600 file (88mb) I tried opening the psd from CS2 (its original home)...no go. Then I opened and saved the PSD in CS3.....still had the same result when attempting to save it as a PNG out of FWCS3
            Any ideas?
            • 3. Re: Saving imported Photoshop files crashes FireworksCS3
              mtlindsa
              Bill,

I had similar problems with Illustrator files. Fireworks crashed every time I tried to open them. Finally, after talking with Adobe tech support, the only solution that worked was to set up a separate user account on my computer (I'm on a Mac) and now it works, albeit somewhat strangely. This bypasses a mysterious corrupt file somewhere in the user-level preference library. Did you install Fireworks as a separate application or as part of a suite? Mine was a separate app and I suspect that there is some strange little bug that causes problems when installing in that fashion. I haven't had any Photoshop problems yet but haven't really tried them save a few during initial testing.

I went round and round trying to find the bad file but after many hours just decided to take the path of least resistence and set up the new user account. Try it and see if it works.

Good luck,

Mark