5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2017 10:43 AM by D Fosse

Programs not displaying image colors correctly?

KurtVV Level 1

Hi all,

I realize that my question has a bit bigger scope than just Adobe, but I haven't found a solution anywhere else thus far, so bare with me on this please.  And if you need any more info then I will gladly supply it.

I look a my photos a lot on my computer (mostly my desktop at home). Well this summer I will mostly be using my laptop (Asus N56, Win8.1 Pro 64x) and have noticed that my images don't look quite right in Adobe Bridge, Photoshop, Windows Photo Viewer and Nikon ViewNX 2. All of the programs look fine on my desktop but don't seem like it on my laptop.

The images do display correctly when set as the desktop background, previewed in file explorer, hosted on Flickr, or the file is directly viewed in Google Chrome.

I have tried calibrating my screen to no avail.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

For reference, here are screenshots of the images displaying with the correct coloring and such:

Desktop Background:

D3MgLS0.png

File Explorer w/ Previewer:

UH8wbu4.png

Hosted on Flickr:

Sy8Y1ca.png

File Directly In Google Chrome:

MVgXVX1.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here the images are displayed incorrectly:

Windows Photo Viewer:

uxH0wiv.png

Adobe Bridge:

aumBLRD.png

Nikon ViewNX 2:

xYmmqvv.png

Photoshop w/out Proof Colors:

LGtqffW.png

One of the strange things is that both Adobe Bridge and ViewNX 2 initially load with the correct imagery.  Within a couple seconds the images then resume the discoloration.

Adobe Bridge upon initial loading:

B829N1Q.png

ViewNX 2 upon initial loading:

Ox55Ggv.png

NOTE: Thumbnails are correct while the enlargement is not.

I did try clearing the thumbnail cache in Bridge with no positive result.

Also strange is that when I turn on color proof to Monitor RGB in photoshop the picture is then correct.

Y7pDjBf.png

In addition I tried shooting in both Adobe RGB and sRGB on my camera, with the same results for both embedded color profiles

So from what I’ve observed, it’s not any single program but a range of them.  I’ve tried changing the color settings within the programs and it made no difference from what I saw.  So it seems like there has to be something happening behind the scenes, possibly pertaining to Windows.

Here is a link to the image on Flickr for comparison: All sizes | B&W Tunnel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The picture is available for download, so if it's file related perhaps someone will pickup on it.

• 1. Re: Programs not displaying image colors correctly?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a bad display profile. Replace it with a good one. How have you calibrated? What calibrator?

Only applications that are color managed will be affected by this. This includes Photoshop, Bridge, Windows Photo Viewer, and Firefox. Windows Explorer and the Windows desktop are not color managed and are unaffected. Internet Explorer is partly color managed, but doesn't use the display profile.

A color managed display pipeline converts from the document profile to the display profile and sends those modified RGB numbers to the display. A non-managed display just sends the raw RGB numbers in the file directly to the display as they are.

Oh, and the camera color space setting doesn't apply to raw files, it's just for camera-processed jpegs. And even so, it doesn't matter in this context, either one is still converted to the (bad) display profile in a color managed application, the end result is the same.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Programs not displaying image colors correctly?
            KurtVV Level 1

Well this seems like the most likely idea I've come across so far.

I calibrated the screen using the built in calibration wizard under color management/display.

As for a bad profile, any idea how I would go about replacing/fixing it?

• 3. Re: Programs not displaying image colors correctly?

The best way is to use a dedicated calibrator, like an i1 Display, ColorMunki, Spyder and so on. This will calibrate the display to a "normalized" response - but more importantly, it will also make a profile that describes this response in detail. That's what color managed applications use.

I really don't know what the Windows calibration utility does, I have never used it. I don't know if it only calibrates, or if it also makes a profile. This is an important distinction.

Generally, though, I usually say that if you don't have a calibrator it's better to use a standard generic profile. It won't be accurate, but it will be consistent and reliable. For a standard gamut display (99% of them) that's sRGB, for a wide gamut display Adobe RGB.

The problem you showed here is very frequently caused by faulty profiles from the monitor/laptop manufacturers, who just can't seem to get this right. These profiles are either installed from the CD that shipped with the unit, or they come through Windows Update. Manufacturer profiles should be avoided. There's usually no advantage over sRGB even if they do work as intended.

• 4. Re: Programs not displaying image colors correctly?
                angeluscavale

I hope I'm not too late but I've been having the same problem and I fixed it a few months ago. Chances are, your default color profile setting is set to monitor's color profile, not the more universal sRGB or AdobeRGB(if you are lucky to have one of those fancy monitors). Your monitor probably isn't so color accurate out of the box so I guess what Adobe does is read your color profile and try to compensate for that (I've also seen browsers do that too). So if you calibrate your display without changing your profile, those program will keep doing their own thing and end up messing up colors.

You have to go to 'color management' (On Windows 10, right click and go to 'display settings', scroll down and find 'display adapter properties', and you will find it there)

Go to 'Advanced' tab and click 'Change system defaults'

Then you should be able to 'Add' color profiles. Find 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' or whatever profile that suits your monitor's color space and set that as your default, not the monitor's own color space.

Restart those programs and you will probably see pictures in proper colors. Hope this helps you and other poor souls who ended up here. Cheers.

• 5. Re: Programs not displaying image colors correctly?

angeluscavale  wrote

Your monitor probably isn't so color accurate out of the box so I guess what Adobe does is read your color profile and try to compensate for that (I've also seen browsers do that too). So if you calibrate your display without changing your profile, those program will keep doing their own thing and end up messing up colors.

There's no need to "guess" anything.

A monitor profile needs to be an accurate description of the monitor's actual, current response. That's why a calibrator writes the profile after the calibration is finished.

Photoshop converts, on the fly, from the document profile to the monitor profile. As long as the profile is accurate, that ensures correct display. If the profile is not an accurate description of actual behavior, Photoshop displays incorrectly.

It really is as simple as that.

1 person found this helpful