5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 3:25 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?

Cowboy12061

I have arranged a slide show with all the slides in a specific sequence.   I really like one of the instant movies templates.  However, when I apply the template, the slide sequence gets changed around.  How can I force the sequence to remain the same?I

• 1. Re: How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cowboy12061

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now I will answer using as my model Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Make sure that you get your media (compatible photos and videos) to the Timeline in the order that you want them. Double check that the order has not changed when you take them from the Project Assets to the Timeline.

Select all the Timeline content.

Click on the Instant Movie Tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace.

In the "Choose a Movie Theme" dialog, select your Instant Movie Theme (I road tested this with the Celebration theme).

Then in the "Personalize Movie" dialog, at its top

1. Instant Movie: remove check mark not to Auto Edit.

2. Apply to: Entire Movie

Under the Duration section, have a Check Mark next to "Use All Clips".

The end result should be media in order, no repeats.

Often you will find that you will need to right click the completed Timeline Instant Movie and select Break Apart Instant Movie in order to correct Adobe oversights and/or customize music duration and other source matters.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?
            Cowboy12061 Level 1

Thanks AT Romano:

I am using version 12 and Windows 7 professional.   Your suggestion works as you said.   Thanks

• 3. Re: How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cowboy 12061

Great news. Glad that the Instant Movie suggestion about maintaining image sequence worked for you.

A lot of customization can be done by right clicking the completed Timeline Instant Movie and selecting Break Apart

Instant Movie. More information on that if and when you need it.

If you ever use the Instant Movie Theme named Outdoor Adventure, the following blog post should help you with the

glitch in that particular Instant Movie Theme.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Instant Movie Theme "Outdoor Adventure" Glitch

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?
                Cowboy12061 Level 1

Great that you ask.   I have a slide show with 3 songs.   I have actually applied the Instant Movie 3 separate times because I wanted to align the first group of clips with the first song and the second with the second song and so on.   So instead of selecting "whole movie" I select "selected clips"

1) when I do this my title page and ending page options does not seem to work (or is not applied)

2) the songs end abruptly because the number of clips in some sections are fewer.   When I tried to select "match music", this option is not selectable.  It only allows me to select "use all clips"

Is there no way to easily "stretch the timing of the clips so as to match the length of the song selected.    Also, how can I get the title slide and ending slide option back?

• 5. Re: How can I keep my current slide sequence when using instant movies?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cowboy12061

Please take a look at the following to plan strategy for music inclusion in your Instant Movie.

I do not see any way to go to the Instant Movie/Music settings and get more than one of your own music files included in the Instant Movie. So, for what you described, do not put music files on the Timeline before you apply the Instant Movie theme to the Timeline content. Your gains are going to come from editing the Instant Movie produced by the feature after you use the Break Apart Instant Movie command on the Instant Movie generated by the program in its Edit area.

Look at use of Music Scores to get avoid change in a music arrangement due to any of your altering of audio clip duration. You can change the duration of your stills in the project. That will mean moving other clips around as well. Edit the Instant Movie to your preferences.

You are going to need Apply to: Entire Movie if you want the option of "Keep Intro/Closing Menu". You could always make your own  "Intro/Closing" inserts for the project, but we will be taking more out of the Instant in the Instant Movie. Keep the "Use All Clips" in Duration.

There will be times when the completed Instant Movie will loss its audio before the closing credits. In cases such as these, use the Break Apart Instant Movie command, and inspect the audio file(s). Typically you will find that there has been a Fade Out applied to the audio clip or even a Volume Bypass. These features need to be removed. And, when necessary the duration of the audio clip increased to match the content of the Instant Movie. You can get away with a little bit of such clip duration extending before you run into audio distortion. We can go into the finer points of this when you are ready.

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the time.

ATR