7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 9:01 AM by Szalam

Can't change audio spectrum colour

kgigicala

I'm having a simple (I think) problem with After Effects CC. When I put an adjustment layer with curves fx on top of my audio spectrum, it won't change colour. In audio spectrum fx settings when I change inside/outside colour, it does work, but I want to use my adjustment layer. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm working on my uni project and the deadline is tomorrow morning!

• 1. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let me be sure I understand.

You have a layer with the Audio Spectrum effect.

Then above that, you've placed an adjustment layer.

You applied the Curves effect to the adjustment layer.

When you adjust the settings in the Curves effect, it isn't doing anything at all to the look of your comp?

Screenshots of your Audio Spectrum effect settings, Curves settings, timeline, and comp window might be useful.

What are your layer blending modes set as?

You do have the eye of your adjustment layer turned on, right?

Why are you using an adjustment layer instead of applying the Curves effect to the same layer with the Audio Spectrum effect?

What exact version number of CC are you using?

• 2. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your inside and outside color settings for audio spectrum are very saturated and close to maximum primary R G or B values it may be next to impossible to see any change in the color using the curves effect unless you do something radical like reverse the Blue channel curve or completely crush the gamma. Fatten up the thickness and softness and you should be able to see more of a change.

Accidentally enabling guide layer is only thing that would cause an adjustment layer to not work at all on the layers below. Blend modes can prevent adjustment layers from working on certain pixel values.

Are you new to AE? Are you new to the curves effect?

Your comp should look like this. Note how far I had to move the curve to show much of a change from the default settings.

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 6.59.06 AM.png

• 3. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

When I put an adjustment layer with curves fx on top of my audio spectrum,

Why would anyone? That's simply a stupid workflow. You can use effects directly on the same later and when you do, one would use a more suitable one like Hue/ Saturation, Tint, Colorama, Color Balance and so on to change the actual color.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour
                kgigicala Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Let me be sure I understand.

You have a layer with the Audio Spectrum effect.

Then above that, you've placed an adjustment layer.

You applied the Curves effect to the adjustment layer.

Yes, exactly.

When you adjust the settings in the Curves effect, it isn't doing anything at all to the look of your comp?

No, nothing happens.

What are your layer blending modes set as?

Normal

You do have the eye of your adjustment layer turned on, right?

Yes

Why are you using an adjustment layer instead of applying the Curves effect to the same layer with the Audio Spectrum effect?

I tried that as well, but again, nothing happens.

What exact version number of CC are you using?

I'm new to After Effects but I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator for few years.

ae.png

ae2.png

• 5. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour

Couple of things...

First, you are several major updates behind. 12.2.1.5 is the current version and they've introduced a number of new features in 12.1 and 12.2 that you are missing out on as well as many bug fixes.

It won't help your current problem (which I'll explain in a minute), but you should definitely update.

Secondly, if you're new to AE, you need to start here. I'm very serious. You need a solid foundation in the basics or you will be frustrated.

Third, and pertinent to your issue, you need to understand how the Curves effect works. Your Audio Spectrum effect is set to create itself as pure white. You can't change the color of pure white with the curves effect the way you're hoping to. Make the color a mid grey and you will then be able to change the color with the Curves effect. Again, I wouldn't recommend doing it this way with the adjustment layer, Curves, and all that, but if you must, that's how.

• 6. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour
                    kgigicala Level 1

I know I'm using a little bit outdated version, but when I try to update I get an error message. Adobe agent has been useless and couldn't help me. Apparently many people have this issue from what I googled.

I made the spectrum white to make it more visible on the black background, I thought when posting, the image would get compressed. When I change the colour of the spectrum it still doesn't do anything. Which way would you recommend me doing this?

• 7. Re: Can't change audio spectrum colour

I forgot to mention that in your second screenshot you have your Curves effect applied before the Audio Spectrum effect. So, even if it were to work, it needs to happen AFTER the Audio Spectrum effect.

You need the color of the resulting audio spectrum to be grey. One way to do that is by applying a Fill effect after the Audio Spectrum effect.

This tutorial tutorial may give you some better ideas since it looks like what you're trying to do.

Also, you could use the new (free) Color Vibrance plugin from Video Copilot without using the Fill Effect.