10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 9:30 AM by A.T. Romano

Picture and sound are not syncroniced

linda.pedersen

Picture and sound are not syncroniced when I use Adobe Premier Elements to converte from .mov to .flv. How can that be?

Best wishes Linda

• 1. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the full properties of this .mov file import, and what are the full export settings for this .flv export.

What are you using as player for the playback of this .flv export?

Is the video and audio out of sync before the export, that is, when you play back the Timeline content in

the Edit area monitor before export, is the video and audio in sync? And, at the time of the playback, is

there a green, red, or no colored line over the Timeline's .mov content?

Let us start here and then decide what next to provide you with a customized relevant answer. If you have

any problems finding the answers to my question, please let me know, and I will help you find them.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
            linda.pedersen Level 1

Hello ATR

Here comes the answers (in black) to your questions (in red)

*What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer

operating system is it running?*

Element 12 (30 days trail version, I wanted to se if it could do the job

before I bought it) and OSX 10 on a macbook.

*What are the full properties of this .mov file import, and what are the

full export settings for this .flv export. *

I'm not sure I fully understand this question but I record the mov files on

my Iphone and import the to my mac. Hereafter I import to Elements via drop

and drag.

Under export settings I choose export to computer and then *web large, ntsc

widescreen source (flash 8 or higher) *using the standard settings. Have

also tried to change to frame rate from 29,97 to 25.

What are you using as player for the playback of this .flv export?

VLC

*Is the video and audio out of sync before the export, that is, when you

play back the Timeline content in*

*the Edit area monitor before export, is the video and audio in sync? *

Yes (surprise)

*And, at the time of the playback, is there a green, red, or no colored

line over the Timeline's .mov content?*

There is a blue line around timeline if thats what you been?

Best regards Linda

2014-06-10 22:02 GMT+02:00 A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Picture and sound are not syncroniced  created by A.T. Romano

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in Premiere Elements - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6448330#6448330>

• 3. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

Thanks for the reply with details.

Once you get your iPhone video into your project (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets), right click the thumbnail for iPhone video.

Then select Properties. What does in show in Properties for frame rate?

IPhone video can be problematic for Premiere Elements because it is often recorded with a variable frame rate - the frame rate keeps changing because of lighting conditions during the recording. When a problem exists with iPhone video with variable frame rate the answer is to take the iPhone video into a free program such as HandBrake and change the variable frame rate to a constant one. Easy and quick to do. Then you import that frame rate correct video into Premiere Elements. I will post the step by step for that next post.

The setting of the project preset is an important part of getting a successful workflow. My blog post will give you some of the considerations.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Whether you manually or the program automatically set the project preset, the project preset selected should match the properties of the source video. If they do, when you video gets to the Expert workspace Timeline, it will not have a colored line over its content. If you see an orange line there, that could mean a mismatch between project preset and properties of source video. Not to worry...

RenderLine.JPG

Summary...

Here is the plan

1. Information Gathering.

(a) Name of iPhone, its frame rate and other properties for your .mov video from it.

(b) Current project settings - Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the

readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if they

look grayed out.

(c) I understand the export settings that you are using, so no request for more information

on that now, except to ask "Is there a specific need for a .flv export?"

Looking forward to your follow up information so that I can customize the HandBrake variable to constant

frame rate details which I suspect will be needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                linda.pedersen Level 1

Hej again

Thank you for your very thorough answer and directions. *The pictures

apparrently can't be copy pasted so please look at the attached document

for picture and text together*

*(c) I understand the export settings that you are using, so no request for

more information*

I will answer your last question first so you have an idea of what I doing.

I have a little bussines which sells online educational videos, and I am

quite new into the video editing field. My costumers downloads the files

and play them on their device.

In order to save space on my online platform and to save opload time I

converte the videos. I have just recently started to use my iPhone to

videorecording  and that gave my problems with my old video converter. So

I’m looking for a new converter now. I first startet to convert to .flv

because I saw that that was the format the used on Youtube. Recently I

discovert that iPhones and iPad cant play .flv, and I learned the mp4 is a

more all round format for many types of divices. So it does not have to

convertet into .flv it could also be another format. And here I would

prefer mp4 (but Adobe Elements does not offer that possibility). But as

long as the quality is good I and it convertes the files into much smaller

files (under 20 % at least) I am satisfied.

When I do the import I get this message: “Smartfix: Fix quality problems in

clips?” Is that a good idea to do that?

(a) Name of iPhone, its frame rate and other properties for your .mov video

from it.

iPhone 5

*readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if they*

look grayed out.

I am not quite sure what you mean here, but here is a couple of screenshots

showing the settings when I converte. I don’t do anything else than that

and I just use the settings suggested by Elements.As you can see Elements

chooses a frame rate on 29.97. I have also tried 25 without any change.

• 5. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                  linda.pedersen Level 1

Hello ATR

I mailed my response to you answers 9 days ago the 16. june. Have you

recieved it?

Best wishes

Linda

2014-06-16 16:29 GMT+02:00 Johnni Jakobsen <celestialprivat@gmail.com>:

Hej again

Thank you for your very thorough answer and directions. *The pictures

apparrently can't be copy pasted so please look at the attached document

for picture and text together*

*(c) I understand the export settings that you are using, so no request

for more information*

I will answer your last question first so you have an idea of what I

doing. I have a little bussines which sells online educational videos, and

I am quite new into the video editing field. My costumers downloads the

files and play them on their device.

In order to save space on my online platform and to save opload time I

converte the videos. I have just recently started to use my iPhone to

videorecording  and that gave my problems with my old video converter. So

I’m looking for a new converter now. I first startet to convert to .flv

because I saw that that was the format the used on Youtube. Recently I

discovert that iPhones and iPad cant play .flv, and I learned the mp4 is a

more all round format for many types of divices. So it does not have to

convertet into .flv it could also be another format. And here I would

prefer mp4 (but Adobe Elements does not offer that possibility). But as

long as the quality is good I and it convertes the files into much smaller

files (under 20 % at least) I am satisfied.

>

When I do the import I get this message: “Smartfix: Fix quality problems

in clips?” Is that a good idea to do that?

>

(a) Name of iPhone, its frame rate and other properties for your .mov

video from it.

iPhone 5

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

*readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if they*

look grayed out.

I am not quite sure what you mean here, but here is a couple of

screenshots showing the settings when I converte. I don’t do anything else

than that and I just use the settings suggested by Elements.As you can see

Elements chooses a frame rate on 29.97. I have also tried 25 without any

change.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

• 6. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

linda.pedersen

Apologizes for the delayed response. Your thread got lost in the heavy traffic in the forums. Let us see if we can accelerate to the process of resolving

your Premiere Elements audio out of sync issue.

At this time, I think that your issue goes to before export and not the flv export. You are using iPhone video which is typically characterized by a variable frame rate, not constant frame rate, being used during recording. This can be problematic for Premiere Elements, and the consequences can be seen as audio out of sync or just plain failure to import. This what I would like you to do:

Take your iPhone video into HandBrake and change the variable frame rate to a constant one. And then import the video with the constant frame rate into your Premiere Elements project.

http://handbrake.fr/

Open HandBrake to it workspace.

Click on Source, followed by Open File in order to import your iPhone video into the program.

Typically I change "Chapters" to "Seconds" in the next line.

Destination - browse to and select hard drive save location for the HandBrake export.

Output Settings = Mp4

Picture Tab = leave settings under Picture Tab as is

Video Tab

.....Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

.....Framerate = whatever the middle frame rate is for your iPhone video

.....Place a dot next to Constant for the frame rate.

Hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace and wait for the "Queue Finished" message in the

progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

We can adjust the bitrate under the Video Tab if file size of the HandBrake export becomes an issue. The focus in this troubleshooting strategy

is to determine if the variable to constant frame rate will resolve your Premiere Elements audio out of sync issue.

Also, please consider producing your video as .mov or .mp4 and then uploading that to YouTube at its web site and let YouTube handle its conversion to its flash

format (H.264.flv). Or, if your Timeline represents less than 2 GB/15 minutes, upload your Premiere Elements Timeline to You Tube with the Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube feature.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...You attachments in the prior post did not get posted. But, at this point, I do not think that we need them. If it turns out that we do, we will discuss posting them in subsequent

post.

• 7. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                      linda.pedersen Level 1

Hej again

I have downloaden Handbrake and tester it on a mov file as you have

suggested. The good news is that the sound syncronicity is solved. The bad

news is that the picture is up side down. It is the same problem I have

with my old program and is apparently something to do with that Apple have

the screen 'upside down' compared to Windows. So it looks like that

Handbrake can't handle mov files.

My trial period expires tomorrow. Can it be prolonged or can I download it

again.

See my commentents to you instructions in red below

2014-06-25 15:02 GMT+02:00 A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6495346#6495346>

• 8. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

linda.pedersen

Thanks for the update.

Have you looked at rotating the video once it is on the Premiere Elements Timeline?

Adobe allows for only one download of the tryout to a given Adobe ID with Password per version.

If you purchase the tryout in order to keep the program on your computer, there may be an

opportunity to return it in accord with a refund in 30 days of purchase. But, you would need to contact Adobe on that

to make sure. I am not Adobe, so I cannot give you any guarantees on its behalf.

Please let me know if the program rotation feature is your answer.

(a) Highlight/select your video on the Expert workspace Timeline, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette, and Motion Panel expanded which has the Rotation feature toward the middle of its section. A quicker way might be to right click the video on the Expert workspace Timeline and select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

Please review and consider and then we can think about what to do next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                          linda.pedersen Level 1

Hello again

Succes, it worked! And thank you for replying so fast that I had the chance

to try it on the last day of the trial.

The timeline did not rotate though. Is it possible to rotate the timeline

aswell?

And the funny little thing with Handbrake: when I set to converte to mp4 it

came out with m4v. Any idea why?

You have solved my problem and I would like to thank for a fantastic

support. I will buy the program as soon as the holiday is over.

Holiday greetings from Linda

2014-07-02 20:18 GMT+02:00 A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6517014#6517014>

• 10. Re: Picture and sound are not syncroniced
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

Thanks for the greetings and good news update.

As for HandBrake and mp4 versus m4v

a. you can just rename the file extension part of the file name without affecting the video...mp4 to m4v or m4v to mp4

b. in HandBrake preferences (Tools/Options/Preferences/Output Files), you can make a permanent set for

Always Use M4V - it is supposed to be the iPod and iTunes friendly type

Always Use MP4

Automatic

The following HandBrake Container document explains the situation to include how the Automatic choice works.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Containers

As for Rotate feature of the program, that works on the selected clip. But....

a. if the selection is more than one clip, you cannot use Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Rotation feature there.

b. but, with more than one clip selected, you could click anywhere in the selection, and, from the pop up menu, select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

When you get a chance, please let us know if that worked for you.

We are very pleased with your progress. Congratulations on your success.

ATR