9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 3:41 PM by corinnak38647469

Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...

Lori.Tegen

A student is trying to render a Premier Elements 9 project file using .mod files from his JVC camcorder. The files imported fine and no issues with editing - it just won't render to a final video file. Settings are for .WMV 720p 25fps.

• 1. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lori.gegen

Lots of questions. What is the exact wording of the export error message the accompanies the failure to export your .mod file? And, when does the failure to export first present, the minute you hit the Save button of the export dialog or later as the encoding to file is in progress?

Are you working with the 9.0.1 Update of the program? Although you say that you have no problems importing or editing, please

give the properties of your source media (video and audio and/or name of the model and settings for the JVC that recorded the video) and the project preset that you have set for that project in the new project dialog.

For now I am assuming that your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in on some version of Windows, and the setup is for PAL.

You say that you have .mod files. Those are either 720 x 576 4:3 or 720 x 576 16:9. Which do you use as your source?

While I am waiting for your details, I will do a run through with .mod file, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, and .wmv export for 720p25. Results with details to follow.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
            Lori.Tegen Level 1

Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately I won’t be able to answer some of your questions until the students returns to try again after school (2:10). The file doesn’t fail until almost the end of the rendering process. The error message says audio encoding failed if audio is in 2-pass vbr encoding mode try either cbr or 1 pass encoding.

• 3. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lor.tegen

Thanks for the reply. I did a mini run test with .mod widescreen, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, and a Windows Media 720p25 export of that Timeline and had no problems obtaining my .wmv 720p25 file. The Expert Settings under the Advance Button of the Cable Modem preset are shown in the following screenshots.....

VIDEO TAB

With Video Codec = Windows Media Video 9

VideoTab.JPG

Audio Tab

Left essentially as found

Audio.JPG

With the student, if he followed the suggestion of the program message (switch to Encoding Passes = 1 and Bitrate Mode = CBR), did the export go through to a successful conclusion?

The important information for me now to get some perspective on the student's results is to get the details

a. source media properties (these can be obtained via video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo...but often we can gain the information needed by knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

b. project settings

c. export settings (Preset as well as the Export Settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab).

Miscellaneous note...since I was working with .mod widescreen I had to use the Interpret Footage/Pixel Aspect Ration section to get the appropriate pixel aspect ratio after import of the .mod widescreen which presents in Premiere Elements without any evidence of a 16:9 flag. That is a classical story....lost 16:9 flag or Premiere Elements (any version) not recognizing the 16:9 flag that is there.

We will be watching for follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                Lori.Tegen Level 1

Thanks – Haven’t tried it yet but wanted to ask about the PAL settings first – I thought PAL was a European format?

• 5. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lori.tegen

Thanks for the reply. Good that you posted just now. There might be some problems with the details that you already supplied.

In the beginning you wrote

Settings are for .WMV 720p 25fps.

25 frames per second is used in PAL setup (as in a European country); 29.97 frames per second is used in NTSC setup (as in the United States and some other countries). So, I went with the 25 fps setup. Was the 25 fps in your WMV 720p 25fps a typing error?

NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for high definition as it does for standard definition. But the frame rates are still a consideration for both based on regional requirements.

Please clarify...are you in a NTSC region doing a NTSC based project or in a PAL region doing a PAL based project.

I can elaborate on this later if necessary.

So, at this point, we need details to guide us to a workflow that is appropriate for you.

Information pending

a. full description of source video file

b. project settings which should match the properties of that source video file

c. full export settings being used as is or customized.

We will be watching for your progress. Any clarification that you can offer will expedite the troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                    Lori.Tegen Level 1

No, I didn’t know that the fps was related to the PAL or NTSC set-up! We are working in the NTSC format. Sure wish that was labeled – the very nature of the Elements package is that it is for the average consumer/non-professional. The only reason I know what PAL is from teaching in mainland China for 2 years.

The student was able to finally render his video with all the audio files – a huge thank you! I have not experienced this issue before. Am hoping to get an upgrade to 12 so the file compatibility issues will be less troublesome.

I am teaching a Multimedia class – introductory design, photo, audio, and video editing in a 1 semester class. Finding specific set-up information hasn’t been easy. I think I worked on the stop motion set-up and production for 2 years before I found any documentation on how to use the project asset view to continue filming. (I really tried!).

I also teach the Microsoft IT Academy and Yearbook. Let’s just say that time is really a premium and if I can’t find an answer in a few hours then we just try to go around whatever the issue is.

If there is anything you are will to help with – know that I will be extremely grateful! I just added Chroma key editing using lime and blue colored fleece. It was interesting to say the least. I think my district is actual going to spring for a real green screen and lighting setup for next year. The news cast stories were quite good even with the rather primitive equipment and no lighting.

• 7. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lori.tegen

Thanks for the follow ups and especially for the good news of the student's successful Premiere Elements project. Good job by both of you, technically and with stick-to-it-tiveness.

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. Just a Premiere Elements user with an overactive troubleshooting gene in a user to user forum.

I keep track of my Premiere Elements findings in blog posts. Maybe give them a look, no ads, no registration, just my sharing of Premiere Elements information essentially dealing with "What is that all about?" and "Why isn't this or that working".

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/

September 2013 has the Premiere Elements 12 First Look blog post and Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries blog post.

Please never hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

Best wishes with your teaching.

ATR

• 8. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                        Lori.Tegen Level 1

A huge thank you for your help and a definite thank you for sharing your ‘troubleshooting gene’!

• 9. Re: Render mod file problems - fails saying change audio to 1 pass. Still fails...
                          corinnak38647469

Hello,

I have the same problem. Could you tell me how your student exactly solved this problem?

Thank you!