7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 6:39 AM by perigee_rde

Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC

perigee_rde Level 1

Hi everybody,

I recently installed InDesign CC, and I wish to install an extension with the Extension Manager. I encounter the following problem:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-11 à 14.44.36.png

As you can see on this screenshot, my InDesign CC is running, and so is my Extension manager CC. But in my Adobe product listavailable in Extension Manager, all we can see is "Others" (in the left, "Autres). But I cannot see InDesign.

My underlying problem is I cannot install an extension with a zxp. The extension is installed and I can open the panel in InDesign, but it is empty. I assume this problem with Extension Manager is responsible for it.

I'm working on a Mac OS 10.6.8 and an InDesign CC 9.2

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
          Carl Sun Level 4

EM-supported products will write their information into Product Configuration Database (PCD) during their installation, including name, version, locale, installation location, etc.. EM will get product information from PCD at launch. If EM can't find a product in recorded location, EM will not list it. So the most possible root cause is that wrong installation location was recorded in PCD.

To confirm it, please install ExtendScript Toolkit CC from Creative Cloud application. Launch it, input "BridgeTalk.__diagnostics__;" (Exclude the double quotation marks) in the main window, then click "Debug"->"Run" menu item. The result will be output in the JavaScript Console window at the top right corner. Please check whether you can find InDesign CC in the "Targets" section and whether its path is correct.

If its path is incorrect, as you seems to be a programer, please open "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps/pdb.db" with a SQLite editor (You can find some free tools), check payload_data table to search for the incorrect path. If you can find it, change it to correct path and save it. If the recorded path is correct, please open "/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/Resources/AMT/application.xml" and search for incorrect path, correct it if found. Otherwise, you have to reinstall InDesign CC.

• 2. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
            perigee_rde Level 1

You're right, I'm a developer. And I tried this with InDesign Release version, so as Debug version. The result was the same.

I've uninstalled my InDesign CC, then reinstalled it with a freshly downloaded installer from Adobe partners site.

I then ran the BridgeTalk diagnostics on this InDessign CC 9.0. As a result, I could see an entry in the log, and EM displayed this InDesign.

I then updated this InDesign to 9.2.2 with the application manager as an end user could have done, to be able to run HTML-based extensions, and re-ran BridgeTalk diagnostics. At this time, I got something strange:

---------------------------------------------------------

indesign-9.064:

Group = cs

Path = /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC/Adobe InDesign CC.app

Display Name = Adobe InDesign CC

MsgAuthentication = ON

MsgDigest = ON

ESTK = ON

BundleID = com.adobe.InDesign

Status = (not running)

ExeName = Adobe InDesign CC.app

---------------------------------------------------------

Why does the diagnostic tells me I have an InDesign 9.0 ? As you can see from my about box:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-12 à 09.12.11.png

Before uninstalling, I noticed I was in InDesign 9.2. With this 9.2.2, I can see my InDesign in my Extension Manager:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-12 à 09.13.42.png

But my extension remains empty:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-12 à 09.15.31.png

If I execute the HTML code of my palette on a web browser, there is some content (the little gray button):

Capture d’écran 2014-06-12 à 09.16.48.png

Notice that I tried to install my extension two different ways: the classical one with a zxp and the extension manager; and another one, the developer way, with the extension builder in my Eclipse IDE. The result is the same.

To sum up, I have a strange result with the BridgeTalk diagnostics (wrong InDesign version), and my HTML-based extension still remains empty in my InDesign.

Have you another idea?

And thanks for all, you helped me do one step forward.

• 3. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
              Carl Sun Level 4

Don't worry about the diagnostics output. Actually "indesign-9.064" is the BridgeTalk identifier of InDesign CC. It will not change throughout the lifecycle of InDesign CC.

As for the blank panel issue, I have to ask other people to help you.

• 4. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
                perigee_rde Level 1

Ok, I will wait for your answer.

In parallel, I did another test. I generated an extension for Photoshop, and then launched Photoshop with it:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-12 à 10.39.20.png

The dialog means: "Cannot execute the command. The extension cannot be loaded".

And the extension is blank too.

I don't know if there is a link with my InDesign panel issue, but maybe it could be a clue...

• 5. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
                  Zhihong Chen Level 1

Thanks for reporting this. What is the path of your extension Digital Express? Please make sure it locates at path “ /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions/Digital Express”.

We usually see this error when the extension was not signed properly. Was Digital Express signed?

Please also help to get CEP log for us to investigation, the instruction is as following:

How to get CEP log

Log files with useful debug information are created for each of the applications supporting CEP extensions. These files are generated with the naming convention as csxs<versionNumber>-<HostID>.log. For Illustrator, the log file is csxs5-ILST.log. The platform-specific locations for the log files are as follows:

• Win: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp

• Mac: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Logs/CSXS

Please change LogLevel key to 6 to create CEP log. The LogLevel key can be updated at the following location (The application should be restarted for the log level changes to take effect):

• Win: regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/CSXS.4

• Mac: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.CSXS.4.plist

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
                    perigee_rde Level 1

Hi Zhihong,

Here is my extension path:

/Users/remidoolaeghe/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions/fr.perigee.autocat

Note that this extension has been generated with the Extension Builder (I'm a developer) in my Eclipse, and InDesign is launched by Eclipse. But the result is the same if I then launch InDesign manually.

I also tried to generate a ZXP with a self-signed certificate I joined to this mail (Certif.p12). I joined the ZXP too (autocat-indesign-html.zxp).

I set log level to 6 and joined the log file (csxs4-IDSN.log).

I'm working on a Mac OS 10.6.8, with an InDesign 9.2.2.

Notice that one of my colleagues tried generating an extension on its Windows 7 and it just worked fine.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help!

Rémi

• 7. Re: Why can't I see InDesign CC in my Extension Manager CC
                      perigee_rde Level 1

I finally found a solution without searching for it. I have just updated to Mac OS 10.9.3, and surprise! my extension is no more blank!

I may be useful to read system requirement, after all...

Source:

System requirements | InDesign