1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 12:08 AM by Test Screen Name

Securing PDF file while still allowing insertion and extraction

katherinemather

I have created several PDF forms in Adobe 11. I would like to secure the content of the files, so that no content can be edited and form fields cannot be changed. However, I want to be able to combine or extract files when necessary. How can I do this?

• 1. Re: Securing PDF file while still allowing insertion and extraction
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You cannot combine files once security is set (except using portfolios). You cannot extract pages once security is set. Some security options allow page deletion which is as good as extraction.

You set security from File > Properties using Security. Set PASSWORD SECURITY. You will get a warning about third party software, be sure you fully understand it; you cannot protect from a motivated and informed person who wants to edit your file.  And even if you could it is no real protection as they could make a fake form. If this is a real concern look at digital signatures - and no, nobody not even the document''s creator can edit a signed file except in a way that invalidates the signature.