3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2007 1:01 PM by kglad

Dim effect onrollover

Crossframe
      I'm looking for a way to have the whole page dim when I rollover any of the buttons on my page, but to have whatever button that I rolled over stay normal while everything else dims. If that makes sense...
        • 1. Re: Dim effect onrollover
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if you're using movieclip buttons it would probably be easiest to create a movieclip that covers your stage and that you'll use to cover everything except your rolled-over button.

you'll probably want control its alpha to give the dimming effect and to make it have no dimming effect.

you can use swapDepths() in your rollOver handlers to move your movieclip button above the dimming cover.

however, if you're using true buttons, or you want to do this with actionscript you can still use a loop to dim all (non-rolledover) objects. this won't dim graphics.
          • 2. Re: Dim effect onrollover
            Crossframe Level 1
            Yeah I'm planning on using movieclip buttons. I don't know much about actionscript at all... sorry... but how does swapDepths() work?

Thanks for your reply.
            • 3. Re: Dim effect onrollover
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              if dimmerMC is your cover movieclip and your movieclip buttons have instance names button1, button2 etc, you can use something like: