11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 4:22 PM by jackfalbey

New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...

jackfalbey

Just built a new editing PC for Adobe CC

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz 32 °C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASRock Z77 Pro4 (CPUSocket) 33 °C

Graphics

SyncMaster (1920x1200@59Hz)

DELL 1907FP (1280x1024@60Hz)

3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (EVGA) 33 °C

Storage

223GB ATA Crucial_CT240M50 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 32 °C

931GB ATA WDC WD1001FALS-0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 34 °C

1788GB Intel Raid 0 Volume SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 32 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C

Optical Drives

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

The drives are as follows:

C: 240GB SSD - OS & programs only, no data written to this drive

D: 3x640 GB HDD in RAID0 - media & projects

S: 1TB HDD - preview, cache, scratch, exports

U: 1TB HDD - user files & documents, pagefile

Also, I regularly back up all files to an external 3TB HDD via eSATA

Here are the PPBM7 results:

NLE1DesktopIntelNLE1.speccy558 s402.3131 s283 MB/s69 s358 s11.3 x2014-05-18 19:52:04

*Note: PPBM7 wouldn't run with the preview/cache/scratch/exports set to S: so I had to run it with those set to D:

I've looked at the Speccy files for many of the other systems on the benchmark page, and it seems like some PCs with similar hardware posted similar numbers to mine, but some PCs with similar hardware did much better. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on whether my build is performing as expected for this hardware config, or if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a bottleneck somewhere. Thanks in advance!

Jack

• 1. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
          jackfalbey Level 1

In case anyone's wondering how I arrived at this particular configuration... the CPU/mobo/RAM/SSD are brand new; Windows 7, the monitors, the DVD-RW, and the spinning drives were ones I already had; and the GPU came from a friend's gaming rig. So it was partly a new build and partly donor parts.

• 2. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing I did was look at your pure CPU number (the last number in your Output.csv result), it is 768 seconds.  As an example my old x58 motherboard with an 4.2 GHz overclocked i7-980X scores ~450 seconds.and, as a matter of fact this notebook I am using on this with no CPU overclocking is faster than your fancy Xeon with 730 seconds.  Now unfortunately you chose that locked Xeon over an unlocked i7-3770K which would have been slightly faster even without overclocking

Have you tuned your system to get rid of unnecessary processes?  It is evident that you did not read Harm's Tweakers pages that include lots of guidelines including a section on tuning

CPU is king for Premiere..

• 3. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
              jackfalbey Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for your feedback. This was a rush build as the southbridge went bad in my old workstation in the middle of a project, and I only had ~$800 to spend on a new PC at the time. I went with that CPU based on my research that the Xeon E3-1230 is basically an i7-3770 sans onboard graphics and 0.1GHz slower. I didn't plan to overclock because this is a money-making PC and I didn't want to increase the possibility of a crash in the middle of a project. And, the Xeon was $220 compared with $340 for the i7-3770. The extra $120 allowed me to go with 32GB of RAM instead of 16GB. If I'd had the budget at the time, I would definitely have chosen a 6-core i7.

I have read Harm's tweakers pages several times (I have followed you & Harm for years, and I appreciate all of the great work you have done!) but because of the limited budget I had to make some compromises. LGA 2011 was just too expensive, and LGA 1150 boards only had 6 SATA ports and I needed at least 7, so that's why I chose the LGA 1155 mobo. I have tuned the system to get rid of unnecessary processes.

My real-world performance is great for what I do - mostly Photoshop and InDesign, with some HD video editing - so I'm still happy with the build, but I was just curious why it didn't score higher on PPBM7. The CPU is the bottleneck, then?

• 4. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes the CPU and ram would be your bottleneck on that system based on the other hardware.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                  jackfalbey Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, Eric. I just noticed that my Speccy results above show the RAM as "DDR3 @ 666MHz"... CPU-Z is also reporting it as 666.5MHz. It's supposed to be DDR3 1866MHz. Two questions:

1) Is the incorrect reporting of memory speed just a result of differences in the way manufacturers rate vs. the way Speccy & CPU-Z do it?

2) If not, why is the RAM only 1/3 of the speed it should be, and is this why you said the RAM is also a bottleneck?

• 6. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...

Yes it is the CPU as Eric confirmed but again, I am wondering if you are getting full use of your CPU.  Are you running any anti-virus, anti-malware etc programs while you are editing,.  Some of these type programs are real CPU hogs. 

• 7. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                      jackfalbey Level 1

Come to think of it, I did have Google Chrome open and Microsoft Security Essentials on in the background (not doing a scan, just turned on) so maybe that had something to do with it. All other programs were off. I'll try PPBM7 again with everything except PPro turned off.

• 8. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                        cc_merchant Level 4

Your memory is running at 1333 MHz. It is reported as 666.5, because it is DDR memory, double data rate. It will only run at the 1866 MHz rate if you enable the XMP profile in the BIOS. Then it is reported as 933 MHz.

• 9. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                          jackfalbey Level 1

When running PPBM7, is it necessary to export the files to the same location as the project, or is it okay to export them to a different hard drive so that Premiere isn't trying to read and write to the same drive at the same time? Or does it even make a difference?

• 10. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...

You can export to any location but to be able to collect the timing data you would then have to CUT and paste the exports back to where the statistics file is located.  Do not COPY and paste as this changes the timing information.  If you have a significantly fast RAID for the project it will not make any difference.

• 11. Re: New PC build - PPBM7 results seem slow...
                              jackfalbey Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I'll run some more tests and let you all know what I come up with.