4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2014 2:58 AM by Laubender

how would i center this vertically between two lines?

birdofillomen Level 1

Screen shot 2014-06-12 at 12.00.47 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-06-12 at 12.01.49 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-06-12 at 12.12.36 AM.png

basically i'm wanting to center this facebook logo, vertically, between these two lines.  however,  the center changes with regard to the frame edges, which can really be just about any size, and the top line (small caps) doesn't go to the top of the frame.  i could shrink the box to just above the point that the text is still in the frame, but i don't feel like that gives me a true center.  the other idea is to create outlines so the frame is strictly around the edges of the text (bottom space is because of a "g" that's not in the pic), but after my last post about creating outlines it seems like this is not preferred.
      thanks for the help, i'm sure a lot of people are looking at this thinking i'm an idiot.

• 1. Re: how would i center this vertically between two lines?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I tried something like your text frames

For F letter i applied text frame options: offset>cap height, and fit frame to content

fitting.jpg

For email text box i applied text frame options: offset>x height + min settings, and fit bottom frame manually to content.

Also i tried to fit frame to content as you see on the second email frame

fitting2.jpg

• 2. Re: how would i center this vertically between two lines?
            birdofillomen Level 1

thanks man! if you get another second or two and can give me your insight on this last issue i have i'd appreciate it.  it's super nitpicky but the bottom line doesn't seem to be as far left as the top.  the top and bottom are all both lowercase but i highlighted the top and changed it to small caps.  i left the bottom lowercase and capitalized the "E".  it's very small but i just noticed it and i feel like it's poor skill on my part.Screen shot 2014-06-13 at 6.55.38 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-06-13 at 6.59.30 PM.png

• 3. Re: how would i center this vertically between two lines?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is caused by differences in the "left side bearing" (empty space to the left of the glyph in the glyph slug) that are used to regulate the spacing of running text. Turning on Optical Margin alignment might or might not help (possibly make it worse), but the only certain way I know to line up the character left edge vertically in the same frame is to add something like a hair space in front of one and adjust the kerning between it and the first real glyph.

• 4. Re: how would i center this vertically between two lines?
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@birdofillomen – what also can help for aligning vertically between the "f" and the text frame right to it: outline some characters of the text in the first line and some characters in the second line without changing the original text by holding the alt key (Mac OSX) when using the menu command for converting text to path.

A duplicate of the selected text outlined will be generated.

Align with the outlined text and remove the outlined text afterwards.

The original editable text stays intact.

In your case use the character "I" in the first line and the character "m" in the second line.

Group the two outlined characters and move the group a bit to the left.

Use smart guides to align the group with the "f".

1-TheProblemWithAlign.png

In the following screenshot I colored the two characters outlined. Original text underneath stays intact:

2-TwoCharactersCopiedToOutlinesByModifierKey.png

3-GroupMovedToTheLeftUsingSmartGuidesToAlign.png

4-PerfectlyAlignedResult.png

Outlined text removed. "f" is centered…

Uwe