7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 4:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning

Elyman

I have just loaded PE12 using Windows XP but soon after opening the program and opening a video file to work on the program just closes without warning. I get no error message - just back to desktop screen.

Any suggestions / ideas will be gratefully received.

Thankyou

Neil

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Neil

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet via the opened project's Help Menu/Update?

Is the problem restricted to one video in one particular project, in other words, does the problem disappear if you open a new project and/or use a file with a different video format? For that matter, can you succeed in the project, if you import a series of jpeg photos instead of the video that you are importing now and are having problems with?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also with Run As Administrator applied by right clicking the Premiere Elements desktop icon and selecting Run As Administrator.

Is your video card/graphics card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Have you looked at the problem with and without the antivirus program disabled?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
            Elyman Level 1

Sorry, it's been a while with holidays and office refurbishments!!

I have just reloaded the software. It did a removal, added the new, accessed the internet for updates.

As far as I am aware the hardware on this PC is up to date.

I started a new project. All going nicely. Went to add some text - screen freezes - after half a minute or so screen disappeared. Now, on clicking the desktop icon it will not open at all?

I would value your help please.

Thankyou

Neil

Ps. Am really concerned that I have never had a piece of software that is so high maintenance from the point of putting the disc in. Appalling!

N

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Neil

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry that the problem persists.

You report that you are running Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows XP 32 bit. That may be the problem, and we need to rule that consideration in or out.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is a 32 bit application in that Windows XP 32 bit computer environment and as such is faced with the 32 bit system limitation of maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3 GB or less of that are available. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Windows is a 64 bit application only when it  is run on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Great computer resource availability matter.

How much do you have on your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline with everything going well when the problem hits when you go to add text title(s)?

What happens if you start a new project, create all your text titles before adding the rest of the Timeline components? Does the problem hit even then with just  text titles?

Do you have access to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer onto which you could install Premiere Elements 12/12.1 for comparison of results involving the two computer operating systems in this situation?

We will be watching for your results. This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. And, this user and all of us want you to succeed.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
                Elyman Level 1

Thankyou.

System - Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

How much do you have on your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline with everything going well when the problem hits when you go to add text title(s)?

- Only started dragging down one short clip.

What happens if you start a new project, create all your text titles before adding the rest of the Timeline components? Does the problem hit even then with just  text titles?

- This was starting a new project - I did not get the opportunity to add anything before it froze.

Do you have access to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer onto which you could install Premiere Elements 12/12.1 for comparison of results involving the two computer operating systems in this situation?

- Unfortunately no. Previously I worked on this PC with MS Windows Movie Maker and a Cyberlink product.

Regards

Neil

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Neil

Sorry for the very delayed reply. Telephone line and Internet connection problems and detours got in the way of me replying sooner.

Thanks for the reply. So, apparently the text titles creation is not the trigger for the project failure.

Consequently, let us go through the typical drill to make sure we have not overlooked an important factor as to cause and effect

a. According to Device Manager/Display Adapters, how many video cards/graphic cards does your computer use? Whatever card

your computer uses, it the card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

b. With or without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled, problem exists?

c. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

d. Latest version of QuickTime installed?

e. Are you running the program as the 12.1 Update.

f. Also import...even though you are importing only a short clip, what are its properties, such as, video and audio compression,

frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. Perhaps we could obtain that information by

knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded that video. Do you get the program freezing if you import just some

stills?

Because of the unavoidable gaps in our communications, some of the above considerations may be repeats, but I wanted to restate them and make sure we are in sync on the answers.

Looking forward to learning of your progress with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
                    Elyman Level 1

Hello,

I appreciate your help and fully accept that you are confident that I will eventually get this product to run. However, I am a trainer, not a technical person and although I understand some of what you are asking me to do, I am not confident that I will do any of it correctly. To be honest, I am exceptionally disappointed with the complications for loading an Adobe product and I have long past wanting to to use it.

If there is a way I can get my money back I would really prefer that than trying to become a software expert fixing it.

Please tell me what my options are.

Thankyou

Neil

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Closing Without Warning
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Neil

Thanks for the update.

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. So, just my opinion on money back for 12

a. If you purchased from Adobe direct and were within 30 days of purchase, you could contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat

to request your money back.

b. If you purchased from an authorized reseller of the product, then your return/refund would be govern by the return/refund

policy of the seller.

Since 12 is not longer the current version, I suspect that you are well beyond the 30 days from date of purchase. The possibility

for money back does not look promising. But, you can still contact Adobe via its Chat Panel and confirm what I suspect or find

out that there is hope. If you want to try that, click on the following link

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, account, payment

Payments, invoices, orders

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the titles above as guides.

If you want to continue with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 troubleshooting, I will go the extra miles to help you with that.

There were times when I thought that I would never get Photoshop Elements 12 to run and other times when I

though that I would never get signed in to Premiere Elements 12. But, I did. It was not easy, lots of troubleshooting paths,

some "inside the box", some "outside the box".

We will be watching for further developments when you get the chance.

ATR