7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 9:01 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Video RAM Preview appears pixelated

sp00kd Level 1

Hi all,

I recently got into AE and I am still learning the ropes. I have created 3 or 4 videos on AE so far.

Earlier today I went to start my next video and started with a video downloaded from Youtube. I downloaded the video in full HD.

However, when I Import it into AE and put it in a new composition, the video appears very low res and pixelated in the RAM Preview.

Any comments or help would be very much so appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
          bogiesan Level 4

You may have downloaded the full HD movie but you may not have realitme playback abilities so AE is downgrading the clip. There are setting for this auto resolution control. There are separate control settings for RAM preview, too. Without looking over your shoulder we can only guess. But what about other layers in your RAM preview? What happens to this layer when you render to a full rez test movie?

• 2. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Show screenshots of your Preview panel and Composition panel.

• 3. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to what bogiesan and Todd have said, how does it look when you play it outside of AE?

• 4. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
                sp00kd Level 1

I Managed to change the Preview Resolution to "Full" which has removed the pixelated problem when Previewing.

However, the preview window still remains pixelated when I'm not previewing, making it hard to get precise positioning for small images.

I have also tried changing the composition resolution to the appropriate settings according to the video I'm using, that hasn't seemed to help either.

• 5. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set the preview resolution to auto, comp zoom factor to an even percentage like 25, 50 or 100% and your ram previews will be more efficient. If your layers appear pixelated when you move them around or make adjustments then that is adaptive resolution kicking in. That is normal. You can set the adaptive resolution in the preferences.

These are all basic After Effects workflow issues that you should read up on.

• 6. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
                    bogiesan Level 4

sp00kd wrote:

I Managed to change the Preview Resolution to "Full" which has removed the pixelated problem when Previewing.

However, the preview window still remains pixelated when I'm not previewing, making it hard to get precise positioning for small images.

I have also tried changing the composition resolution to the appropriate settings according to the video I'm using, that hasn't seemed to help either.

ah, okay, as Rick says, this is fundamental stuff. The problem with AE is that it's really complex. Learning the various ways to maximize the performance on your particular machine without sacrificing editing precision takes many long hours of frustration. Many of us figure out how to think and work with rough coordinates using lower rez settings and then we go in and get precise. But we're constantly switching between modes and display resolutions. It's just how AE works.

• 7. Re: Video RAM Preview appears pixelated
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The screenshots that I asked for would still be very useful in helping us to help you.