8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 12:31 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?

normnoe

I am just getting started with Premiere Elements (12.0) and have what seems to me to be a very simple goal.  I have several short ".mov" movies and would like to combine them into a single ".mov" movie.  I have gone through the menus and can't find a way to do this.  If someone would point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

• 1. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just like laying bricks on a foundation, you put one brick (file) after the other on your foundation (timeline)

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

• 2. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

normnoe

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you gone to the 12.1 Update yet?

Now for the matter at hand...

1. What are the properties of these .mov files going into one project....same? If different formats, we select one and then fit

the others into it since Premiere Elements offers only one project preset.

2. You or the program set the project preset to match the properties of the source media.

3. You import the source media into the project. If these are files saved to the computer hard drive, then Add Media/Files and

Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline.

4. Then, edit, add effects, etc

5. Publish+Share to burn to disc or export to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

Several gaps in the above that need to be supplemented with your details to come.

But I wonder...are you really asking about disc menu preparation with regard to a multi movie Timeline?

Please review, consider, clarify.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
              normnoe Level 1

ATR and JTS,

Thanks to both of you for your help!  I had been able to combine several

".mov" files into a single file, with transitions.  The problem was saving

it as a ".mov" file.  When I saved using the defaults, I got a ".f4v" file

which I couldn't read using Windows Media Player.

I still can't save as a ".mov" file but the reference to presets proved

quite helpful and after quite a bit of experimenting I was able to save as a

".mpg" file that works well on my PC.  Here are the details:

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit with Premiere Elements 12.0.

My input files were created with a Canon camera, 1920x1080, 24

frames/second.

The preset that works well for PC viewing is "HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality."

I was hoping to also be able to view the combined file on our TV (Sony 720p

with a Panasonic Blu-ray player) but it didn't work.  Maybe I just need to

experiment with other presets.

Thanks again for your help.  If you have any further thoughts that you think

would be helpful, I'd appreciate them.

Norm Noe

• 4. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm Noe

Thanks for the reply.

There is no reason why you should not be able to export your Timeline content to a file with a .mov file extension with several choices for video compression.

From your details, I suspect I know the problem that has not surfaced until your latest post.

When you get to Publish+Share/Computer, there are several choices. Adobe Flash Video with one of its export f4v is a choice not the default for the exports under Publish+Share/Computer. The categories to select from under Publish+Share/Computer include, from top to bottom...

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

XAVC=S

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

It is the QuickTime choice which will give you the exports with the .mov file extension. And, you can select from a large number of video codecs to go with the .mov file extension. But, to make that choice, you need to

(a) Have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

(b) Use the scroll bar to the right of the list to get to the bottom of the list where you will find QuickTime.

QuicktimeMOV.jpg

Example for you to look at if you have not already...if your source is 1920 x 1080p24...

Then

Import....

Project Preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p 24

Export

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16L9

then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize the Export Settings...See screenshot below

H264.JPG

Leave the Bitrate Settings without the check mark next to "Limit Data Rate to" for this first run.

Depending on the file size of the export, next time we can type a specific data rate value in that field.

Please review, consider, and then let us know if you are OK with the information provided.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
                  normnoe Level 1

Thanks, ATR, it worked!  And I was very happy with the quality of the

export! 

However, as you hinted, the exported file was large, almost 5 times the

total size of the imported files.

The imported video data rates were all about 35000 kbps, and the exported

video data rate was 168710 kbps.  Should I limit the data rate to 35000

kbps?  Or should I limit it to 35229, the largest of the imported rates?  Or

should I use some other limit?

Thanks again for your advice and help!

Norm Noe

• 6. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm Noe

Very great news. Thanks for letting us the outcome.

We need to find a compromise between bitrate, file size, and quality.

35000 kbps (34 Mbps) may be too high. But, give it a try.

(kbps = kilobits per second; Mbps = megabits per second)

I would probably start with 14000 kbps (13.67 Mbps) and work up or down from there.

So, check mark next to "Limit Data Rate To _____kbps" and then type in 14000.

Looking forward to outcome when you get the chance.

Thanks again for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
                      normnoe Level 1

Thanks again, ATR,

First I tried a data rate of 14000, as you suggested, and the results looked

good.

Then I tried 35000, like the imported data rates, and the results were a

little bit better.  In general, the exported file size seems to be almost

directly proportional to the data rate.  When I used the imported data rate

for the exported file, the exported file was a little bigger (about 4

percent) than the sum of the imported files.  My guess is that this was at

least partly due to a little overhead caused by the transitions.

Finally I tried 33000 and, at least at a glance, I couldn't see any

difference in quality between it and the 35000.  The 33000 export was

slightly smaller than the sum of the imported files.

So now, thanks to your information, I have the ability to trade off quality

and file size.  When the quality is not that important, I can reduce the

data rate and get smaller file sizes.  When I want the best quality that I

can get, I'll use a larger data rate.

Again, many thanks!

Norm Noe

• 8. Re: How do I combine several mov files into a larger mov file?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm Noe

Your follow up with details is much appreciated and will be helpful to all.

We are very pleased that you have added flexibility in your projects related to Bitrate and that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR