3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 10:29 PM by Willi Adelberger

Placed Text Comes in Different Shades

swhorst

Placed Text Comes in Wrong

I'm placing text into InDesign CS5 from a large word document at work which I've split into multiple smaller documents (2-4 pages) so that I may use the Place feature in InDesign. In microsoft word all the text is uniform, same size, font, thickness etc. but when I bring it over into InDesign, certain paragraphs and words come in as a darker shade. This is an issue because the text needs to be printed and look uniform, and I cant manually add all the formatting italics bold for every word so I need to use the place tool. The weird part is when I click on the darker shaded/not matching text to edit it or add a space it goes back to matching the other text, and a couple seconds after I click away it will turn back to the darker shade. Please help. Any alternatives, ideas, or advice would be extremely helpful, I cant get my work done on this until then! Thanks!

Screen shot 2014-06-12 at 6.36.27 PM.png

• 1. Re: Placed Text Comes in Different Shades
          tman69 Level 3

text from Word will be RGB and it may be different colors in the word doc. just select it all and make it the same color

• 2. Re: Placed Text Comes in Different Shades
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In Word and as well in InDesign you have to work with Paragraph and Character Styles. Don't use manuall formatting. In these Style take care, that the color is set up correctly and no overrides are done. When you import Word files you can tag Word Styles to the correct InDesign Style.

No text in InDesign has to be without a Paragraph Style, no exception without a Character style and avoid also a return to force a distance between 2 paragraphs as it is shown in your screen shot.

• 3. Re: Placed Text Comes in Different Shades
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Which is not the direct topic, but why did you put another text frame above a grey graphic frame? If you would use the grey graphic frame also for text, it could be a unit. Use Object styles for text frames too. You would not need these 2 blue guide lines with correct object styles.

Anyone who is working without styles makes a lot of useless work. Style help to work faster in InDesign (and also in Word).