30 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2014 2:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio

toddtamcsin Level 1

I rendered a video out of Premiere Elements 11 using the "share" function and wanted it to be an Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4.  What I got was 5 different files .ac3, .m2v, .mpg.xmpses_Audio, mpg.xmpses_Video, and .mpg.

The .mpg file is zero bytes and I get a Windows error if I try to play it that says "Windows Media PLayer cannot play the file.  The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

When I try to play the .m2v file there is no audio. 

What do I need to do next?  I need this file to end up as a Mpeg

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 installed on? I ask that in case we need to get into any computer specific details in the troubleshooting exchanges.

1. What are the properties of your source media?

2. What did you or the program set as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

3. What were your specific choices in the Export area...

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and one of the MP4 presets

OR

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

and one of the MPEG2 presets

OR

Other

If you have jumped from one to the other in trying to find answers to your problems, then for troubleshooting purposes let us focus on

a. Properties of Source Media

b. Project Preset Selected

c. What are the requirements for your export

I will customized suggestions based on your reply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
            toddtamcsin Level 1

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 installed on? I ask that in case we need to get into any computer specific details in the troubleshooting exchanges. Windows 7

1. What are the properties of your source media? Video shot from video camera that creates .mp4 files

2. What did you or the program set as the project preset to match the properties of the source media? I let the program match the Preset

3. What were your specific choices in the Export area...

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and one of the MP4 presets

OR

This option below was what I used

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

and one of the MPEG2 presets

OR

Other

If you have jumped from one to the other in trying to find answers to your problems, then for troubleshooting purposes let us focus on

a. Properties of Source Media See above

b. Project Preset Selected See Above

c. What are the requirements for your export Requirement is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4

I will customized suggestions based on your reply details.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

toodtamcsin

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded these .mp4 videos. Just the file extension .mp4 is not enough to determine if the project was setup correcting and you cannot always depend on the automatic project preset feature.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

What I am looking for essentially is video compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, interlaced or progressive video.

But, you seem to be more concerned about export and its file extension so let us jump ahead to that.

The choice of Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG can offer files with MPEG2 compression and file extension (wrapper format) of .m2t or .mpg.

If you select any one of the presets described as File Type MPEG2 Blu-ray for the export of your Timeline video/audio, the file extension of the file that you will use will have a file extension of .m2t. It will have a companion file name ending .m2t.xmpses (instruction file - can be discarded for most practical purposes)

If you select any one of the HDTV presets described as File Type MPEG2 for the export of your Timeline video/audio, the file extension of the file you will use is .mpg. There will be no companion file

Presets like NTSC DVD Standard and NTSC DVD Widescreen are of the type with MPEG2 compression, .mpg file extension, and the companion file of mpg.xmpses.

You wrote

I rendered a video out of Premiere Elements 11 using the "share" function and wanted it to be an Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4.  What I got was 5 different files .ac3, .m2v, .mpg.xmpses_Audio, mpg.xmpses_Video, and .mpg..

Look under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab and Multiplexing Tab of the preset that you select in order to see the details of the export. Only one major file is obtained from an export. At most you should be getting 2 files from an MPEG export. So, if you got 5 files from one MPEG export, then definitely more information on the specific preset used.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                toddtamcsin Level 1

The source files were given to me.  They were shot on a camcorder with a removable memory card.  More details than that may be difficult for me to get.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Thanks for the reply.

With a little bit more information, I think that I will be able to fine tune an explanation for the export formats that you are describing.

The following information should be easy for you to obtain:

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace and use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your .mp4 file into the project and Project Assets. Right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Properties. Then tell us what you see in Properties for frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio.

and

2. Tell us what you have set in the Presets field when you go the route Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG and whether you left the defaults or clicked on the selected preset's Advanced Button to customize the settings under Video Tab, Audio Tab, Multiplexing Tab.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                    toddtamcsin Level 1

OK here it is:

Source video Properties: Frame size 1920 x 1080 Frame rate: 29.97 & Pixel Aspect 1.0

Share settings:COMPUTER/MPEG Then I'm not 100 positive which preset I used but I think it was "MPEG2 1920x10801 30.  But I know for sure I did not click "Advanced" and did not make any advanced setting changes.

Does that help?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Thanks for the additional information so that we can fine tune our reply.

I imported a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second (AVCHD.mp4) into Premiere Elements 12 project with the project setting

of NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97.

The file had video and audio components which were imported linked in the Premiere Elements project.

I exported the Timeline file using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i30. I did not go under the Advanced Button of that preset to change any of the default settings. The only export files that were saved to the designated location on the computer hard drive were as expected

Untitled.m2t

and the companion instruction file

Untitled.m2t.xmpses

I did not name the export before export so the export file name before the file extension was Untitled.

From what I understood, you obtained 5 different species from one MPEG export. I cannot confirm that. Please let me know if you

have any further information on what you did and what was created. For that matter, was that result repeatable?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                        toddtamcsin Level 1

Using your settings I got a DVD with 5 files again.  An AC3, m2v, m2t, m2txmpsesAudio and another one for video. 

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                          toddtamcsin Level 1

ok I did another test and this one creates an m2t file which worked with audio.  So what was the difference?

1. The test that worked burned the resulting file to my hard drive instead of to a DVD.

2. The test was much shorter only a few minutes versus the full 1 hr 30 min interview.

So, a couple of questions,

1. I was hoping PE11 would automatically compress this rendered file to fit the selected media - in this case a DVD which is why I was selecting DVD as output media.

2. Is a m2t the same as a mpeg2 or mpeg4?  This is going to the Library of Congress and they have very specific requirements listed at Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4/H.264 as the only acceptable file formats.

3. Also they require that it be furnished on a dvd and the file will be way too large if I don't find a way to compress it.

Thanks again for your help.  I hope I am not too frustrating for you.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtarmcsin

If you started a new project with a 1920 x 1080p30 source and put it through the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i30, there is no opportunity to get anything but the .m2t file saved to the computer hard drive along with its companion .m2t.xmpses file.

What caught my attention in your latest post is "...I got a DVD with 5 file again." What do you mean by that? Where is "DVD" factoring into this. If you took the 1920 x 1080p30 source and put it through the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard, even then your exported files saved to the computer hard drive would be just

Name of the file.mpg

and it companion file

Name of the file.mpg.xmpses

If you took the Timeline video (Video 1) linked to its audio (Audio 1) and deleted out the video and then exported the remaining (audio) Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DV Standard, even then your exported files saved to the computer hard drive would be just

Name of the file.mpg

and its companion file

Name of the file.mpg.xmpses

We could approach our differences from several perspectives...

1. Try to discover where in the communications some important information is being lost

2. Decide that nothing is being lost in the communications, and look for alternative explanations

Do you get extra files if you put another video source through your workflow? That is, what happens if you export a

bunch of jpeg photos through this workflow. Same thing?

Please review and consider and then we will dig deeper into this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                              toddtamcsin Level 1

See post above for details on my goal to end up with a Mpeg on a DVD media.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcin

Thanks for the replies. I did not see your latest post, the one numbered 9, until I had posted my latest post, the one numbered 10. Sorry we got out of sync there. But moving forward...

What is your goal....to put your 1920 x 1080p30 source file on a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format? Is that acceptable to your intended recipient of your work? Keep in mind in looking over requirements for the file format that there is a difference between video compression and file extension (which represents what is called the wrapper/container format).

The requirements that you mention

Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4/H.264

are different video compression, no file extension is cited (could be important). MPEG-2 is used in the DVD-VIDEO format with a .vob file extension. MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 is otherwise know as AVCHD. Typical file extensions for that can be .mp4, .m2ts, .m2t, .mov, .mts. Premiere Elements does not support AVCHD.avi.

If you are being asked to produce the DVD-VIDEO widescreen format on DVD disc from your 1920 x 1080p30 source, then look at the following workflow...

Project Preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Export...

Burn to disc

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

or if you must

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

and, at some later time, set up a NTSC DV Widescreen project for the burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, using this saved  MPEG2.mpg file from Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG.This end product is going to be 720 x 480 16:9 with the 16:9 flag stretching the 720 x 480 for display after encoding (to 856 x 480).

There are all sorts of possibilities. What we need to get in sync on is what you want to do and what are the requirements imposed on you.

Disc versus file? File format - compression format versus wrapper format (reflected by file extension)?

Please review and consider and then let me know if we are any closer to finding the answers that you need to obtain the video product that you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

I think we may be out of sync. Just saw your post 11.

Bottom line: MPEG2 is different than MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD).

If you want a DVD disc with either of them, then....

For MPEG 2, Publish+Share/Computer/Disc disc with preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

For AVCHD, Publish+Share/Computer Disc disc with preset for H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

DVD-VIDEO on DVD will play on DVD-Players

AVCHD on DVD will not play on the regular DVD-Player, needs Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD.

Please read this thread in conjunction with my post 12 to see how we are doing in the communications. Please let me know what video information gaps I need to close in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                    toddtamcsin Level 1

Thanks again for your patience.  I think it is best to back up -  I am getting beyond my understanding of these formats - I had no idea it was this complicated.

Here's what I'm trying to do.  I have source video being provided to me.  I think we have established the specs on that above.  The source video needs to be assembled into one video file and delivered to the Library of Congress to meet certain specs.  I am going to provide you the url so there is no confusion on the options avail.  http://www.loc.gov/vets/pdf/fieldkit-2008Acceptedmedia.pdf

These specs outline the file formats and acceptable media.  I am thinking I need to provide it on DVD-R because the programs run quite long - well over an hour after assembled.

Does this help?

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                      toddtamcsin Level 1

It was my hope that PE11 could compress this and burn it to an acceptable file format that will fit on a single DVD.  That's my goal.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

If you are going for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc...

a. Set up for the 1920 x 1080p30 project as we have discussed.

b. When you get to Publish+Share/Computer/Disc disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD and your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, look at the Quality area of the burn dialog. What does its show for Space Required and Bitrate with a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space". (You want to be doing the burn to with a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space".) Based on what you report for Space Required and Bitrate, I will comment further on the situation.

Factors to remember

DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes. (In reality, that 4.7 GB = 4.38 GB)

DVD Double Layer Single Sided 8.5/240 minutes. (In reality, that 8.5 GB = 7.95 GB)

Premiere Elements can do the burn to with either the regular DVD capacity or with the Double Layer Single Sided capacity disc.

Also, does the Burner location field in Premiere Elements burn dialog recognize your DVD burner? Do you get a Ready in the Status field of the burn dialog indicating that Premiere Elements has recognized your DVD disc which is in the DVD burner tray?

More later.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                          toddtamcsin Level 1

My post 14 is waiting on "moderation" probably because I included a link to the exact specs for this project which is going to the Library of congress.  So I just looked it up again and they have changed a bit.  What they require is MPEG-2 for video format and DVD is the acceptable media with "At least 3Mbps, with a spatial resolution of 702x480 at 30 fps or the highest your set-up allows."

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

After weighing all the information....assuming start with 1920 x 1080p29.97 source

Premiere Elements 11 Windows

Project Preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

If you want a lower resolution...720 x 480 16:9

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital

(to dot the i's and cross the t's, I would like to see those Space Required and Bitrate reads (with check mark next to Fit Contents to Available Space) in the burn dialog before any Burn button is pressed).

If you want a higher resolution 1920 x 1080

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HDTV 1080p29.97 High Quality

(that should give you one HD MPEG2.mpg file with no companion file)

Then burn that to a DVD disc (as data disc) using the burn software that came with your DVD burner.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                              toddtamcsin Level 1

I do not see the option to "Fit Contents to avail space."

I see "Render max Depth""Automate GOP Placement"

Space required 10,109 MB

Bitrate Encoding VBR 1 Pass

Min Bitrate 4

Target Bitrate 15

Max Bitrate 18.5

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Please check out the following...

a. Your 1920 x 1080p30 is on the Expert workspace Timeline with the correct project preset set.

b. You are going to click on Publish+Share, then Computer, then DVD. The Burn to: field should show "Disc".

At this point you should be seeing the following burn dialog related to the burn to disc that will take place.

burndialog.JPG

Look to the Quality area at the bottom of this burn dialog.

Next to Quality, you should see Fit Contents to available space. Please have a check mark next to that option.

Go downward beyond the grayed out sliders where you should see Space Required and Bitrate and tell us what you have

there for your particular content that you are about to burn to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen format on DVD disc.

For my example, the readings displayed are Space Required 74.00 MB (Bitrate 8.00 Mbps). In this burn to process, the presets

are non adjustable.

We will be watching for your results in the morning.

Thanks for your follow ups and staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                  toddtamcsin Level 1

I can only get to that menu by publish/share/DVD - not publish/share/computer/DVD

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                    toddtamcsin Level 1

So I'm getting closer.

1) I have been able to use these settings to generate a single .mpg file on my hard drive that is 9.85 gig.

2) I have also been able to use the Publish/Share/DVD/Fit contents..." to generate a DVD with the entire program on it that plays - however the folder on the DVD is called "Open DVD" and there are many files on the DVD - none of which are MPEG files.

Untitled-1.jpg

So any suggestions on the next step?  Obviously the single mpg cant fit on a dvd.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Thanks for the replies 21 and 22. I think that you are there but just need clarification on what you have.

With your 1920 x 1080p30 source exported as

MPEG2.mpg video file if you go Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG and Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen.

If your destination is DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then that MPEG2.mpg needs to be burned to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc in a new Premiere Elements project or some other program that can convert the MPEG2.mpg into DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. But, you do not need to take the 1920 x 1080p30 to MPEG2.mpg and then the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD in steps. Instead you can take your Timeline 1920 x 1080p30 directly through Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. What you have on the DVD disc is not a MPEG2.mpg video file. But it is a MPEG2 video file. What you have is the DVD-VIDEO format which has a unique structure as to folders and files - characterized by the OpenDVD Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder where the video files are located.

MPEG2.vob

The video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder in your case are

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

VTS_01_5.VOB

Each of those uses MPEG2 video compression and has a VOB file extension (wrapper format). These are your MPEG2 files.

What was your Timeline video content of 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second will now be MPEG2.VOB files 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. The first VOB will contain the beginning of your video until the file gets to its file limit of 0.99 GB.

When the first VOB reaches its limit, the next part of the video goes into a new file until the second VOB's file sizes reaches 0.99 GB and so on to the end of your video which is in VTS_01_5.VOB (note that it did not reach capacity).

Generalizations

The MPEG2.mpg burned to a DVD disc will not be playable on a run of the mill DVD player if it is just that MPEG2.mpg file on the DVD disc. Your original video file (1920 x 1080p30) or the product from it (MPEG2.mpg) needs to be converted into the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc (as per the VTS video files) to be playable on the DVD player.

Whether you start with a video with 29.97 progressive frames or not, the Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is always going to give you video files which use 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Requests

Whatever you burn to disc DVD disc with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset, before you hit the Burn button of the burn dialog, please let me know what is shown in the Quality Area Space Required and Bitrate fields (check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space).

Double checking that you are not compromising the quality of your export by putting too much on the disc, you should do great.

ATR

I

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                        toddtamcsin Level 1

The quality is "Space required: 4.38 GB )Bitrate 6.27 Mbps)"

So to go back to the project requirements, I need to deliver this project on DVD (media) as either:

1) DVD-Video or

2) MPEG-2

If I understand you correctly, the dvd that I was able to create with the "Open DVD Folder" and the files contained within it that have the .vob extensions meets the criteria for option 1.  Correct?

Also I was able to create option 2 - a single mpg file that properly plays audio and video - but only on my hard drive - not on a dvd disk - and it is a much larger file.  There seems to be no way to compress that file and put it on a single dvd disk without changing the file type and/or structure.  Correct?

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Thanks for the information.

If you have a DVD disc that is labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes, then  Space Required and Bitrate readings are telling you that you have

too much on the disc to get the best quality result. You want to see a Space Required = less than 4.38 GB with a Bitrate of 8.00 Mbps to

get best quality. That Bitrate of 6.27 Mbps is telling you that the program, in order to make the fit, has lowered the Bitrate to reduce the file size

to make the fit. However, in lowering Bitrate downward from 8.00 Mbps (the max), the quality lessens progressively until the program can no longer lower it

any more. Then you get Insufficient Space message.

With all that being said

a. If the quality of the burn to disc looks acceptable to you under these DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes condition, go with it.

b. If not, then use a DVD Double Layer Singled Sided Disc which comes labelled 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

The group to which you are sending your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc has not specified the type of disc. So, you may have to contact it to confirm

the disc requirement beyond "DVD".

Just to restate....when you burn to disc DVD in Premiere Elements your product is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. If you explore the disc contents, you

will find two folders. - one named OpenDVD and the other VIDEO_TS.  Your video files (MPEG2.VOB) and the rest of the files folders that make up the DVD-VIDEO structure are in the VIDEO_TS Folder.

With your MPEG2.mpg was is the estimated file size when you are in the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG area. The estimated file size for the export and the duration of the export should be shown at the bottom of the export dialog, just above and to the left of the Back and Save buttons there.

Estimated Size.JPG

When I did this screen capture, I did not have anything on the Timeline, so the File Size: 0.00 B and Duration: 0.00 Sec.

We could talk about a 2 DVD disc set (dividing the content into 2 4.7 GB/120 minutes discs), alternative video compression if you can find out if other

than MPEG2 video compression is acceptable - and, how strict the requirement is for type of medium on which the format is placed - DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes, DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes, or a USB Flash Drive which can have higher capacities.

Please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                            toddtamcsin Level 1

The quality looks fine to me - certainly not as good as the orig - but not bad at all so I think I will go with this - or maybe try a USB Flash.

Thank you for all of your insight. 

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 11: Got an m2v file instead of mpeg, and there is no audio
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

toddtamcsin

Thanks for the follow ups. Good job in sorting through the information to get the video presentation that you needed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions on the current exchange of information or other as you move forward.

We are very pleased with your success. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification if old or new questions come up.

Best wishes,

ATR