3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 8:15 AM by George_Johnson

Assign unique keyword(s) to individual pages?

didriksenlaw

Has anyone heard of a script which allows you to assign unique keywords to individual pages within a pdf? And then search for and get a report or something of which pages contain the search terms? Even across multiple pdfs? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Assign unique keyword(s) to individual pages?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What type of searching were you thinking of? It is possible to use JavaScript to search a page and check for certain words. It's also possible to place words in a text field on a page (perhaps hidden) and do a search with JavaScript. If you provide more details on how you envision it working, you might get more specific suggestions.

• 2. Re: Assign unique keyword(s) to individual pages?
            didriksenlaw Level 1

I guess I don't really care how the keywords are "assigned" to the page. What I envision is labeling a page somehow - say through the commenting tools - and not only searching and identifying but the ability to remove pages based on their tags and place them in a new pdf.

Once each page has a sticky on it with "A" or "A,B" or "A,B,C", I'd like to be able to do a basic boolean search and have Adobe pull the pages and place them in a separate document. For instance, pull out all pages with "A" and "B" on the comment sticky. Or all pages with "A" or "C" on the page.  The key is getting them placed into a separate pdf. The computer equivalent of pulling out certain docs from one stack and creating a new separate stack I suppose.

The more advanced desire is the ability to not just add searchable text to a page but a metadata property, like a date, and then have the option to sort by date once you have your stack.

Does this make sense? I laid out an example below; the end goal is to search across multiple documents at the same time and pull each page with "A" or "C" and have Acrobat create a new document with those pages.

PDF #1

Page 1: A

Page 2: B

Page 3: B, C

Page 4: A, C, D

Page 5: B, D

PDF #2:

Page 1: C, D

Page 2: A, C

Page 3: A, B, D

Page 4: B, D

Page 5: A, D

Thanks again,

Matthew

• 3. Re: Assign unique keyword(s) to individual pages?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can use a sticky note as well and search them with JavaScript, which can also extract pages from a document to create new ones. You could also include a date in the sticky note text and sort by date. It would help if you stick to a rigid format when entering the data in each note.

I can't suggest a specific script since it will be moderately complex, but it's possible.