20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 7:35 AM by studio 3D

create stereo rig not long enough

studio 3D

I've got a camera that is over six minutes in timeline, but when I create stereo rig from it, the stereo control is only 4 seconds in the new timeline. If I stretch it out, the stereo works until 4 seconds only, then everything flattens out! Please help! thanks

• 1. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE version? System? Comp settings? Footage? You need to be more precise.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
            studio 3D Level 1

Sorry...

It's the latest CC, comp preset HDTV 1080 29.97 06:30, footage in comp is a still image background with .avi talking head in front (both 3d layers)

• 3. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
              studio 3D Level 1

Here's a screen shot of what happens when I create rig stereo control short - studio3d's library

• 4. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The stereo controls layer is nothing but a solid with expression controls. Just move the current time indicator to the end of the timeline and press Alt/Option + ] to set a new out point. There should be no keyframes in the comp at all. Only a keyframe would change the stereo effect unless you had some keyframes in the left eye or right eye comps.

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 10.39.29 AM.png

If that didn't fix the problem what exactly was your workflow? You should create a new comp add your footage, if you shot 3D footage with a camera and have left eye and right eye footage from two cameras or a stereo camera then you should add both the left eye and right eye footage to the comp, then add your 3D elements, animate the 3D elements, and then create the stereo rig last.

To prevent this problem in the future check the settings in Preferences > Import and make sure that still footage is set to length of composition. Also, it is a lot easier to see screenshots if you simply use the camera icon in the reply window to add the image. Do not worry about the warning about resizing the image.

• 5. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                  studio 3D Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Rick... forgot to mention that I'm on Windows, no option for option (Alt+).

The workflow I'm attempting will allow me to see the stereo effect as I work- but I can't see it without the stereo rig in place, so not sure how to add it last. I've got stereo (L/R) images and 3D elements.

Do you know the Win shortcut for new out point?

(thanks for image tip)

• 6. Re: create stereo rig not long enough

Alt + ]

Alt/Option is Windows/Mac

Ctrl/Cmnd is Windows/Mac

Here's what you do when working stereo projects.

1. Start a new comp that is long enough to include all of the effects for that shot or sequence.
                    2. Add a camera and some 3D elements.
                    3. If you have 3D footage shot from a camera add that as a 2D layer.
                    4. If you have Left and Right Eye footage from a camera add both layers.
                    5. Create a new Stereo 3D rig.
                    6. Edit the animation of your 3D elements in the first comp, the main comp.
                    7. If you have stereo footage on two layers in the main comp, in the Left Eye comp turn delete or turn off the right eye footage and in the other comp turn off the left eye footage so the footage matches the comps.
                    8. If you want to see what's going on in the stereo view go to the comp window and add a new view by right clicking and selecting Add New Viewer, then lock the view.
                    9. Now work in the main comp to animate your 3D elements and you can see what is going on in the stereo view.

Simple as that. What else do you need to do?

• 7. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                      studio 3D Level 1

Thanks, Rick...

Doing all you suggest, but the little glitch is still there! Hope you can see it in this little vid I made. I'm VERY thankful for your help!

• 8. Re: create stereo rig not long enough

Did you change your preferences? What happens when you create a new solid? What happens when you import a new still? Did you check the left and right comps? Is your AE up to date? I've never seen this happen, but I can reproduce the short 3D controller layer by changing the Preferences.

Also, if the footage if your actor is 3D you need both left and right eye and the footage should be a 2D layer. If the footage is not 3D, shot with two cameras, then making it a 3D layer may cause some problems.

• 9. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                          studio 3D Level 1

WOW! Thank you Thank you Thank you. THANK YOU, Rick!

I didn't change the preferences, because I didn't want the imported footage to match the length of the composition- and I guess I just didn't think that could be it.

I would never have figured it out, so I'm so grateful for you guys who take the time to help newbies... Rick I would be happy to send you a very cool anaglyph 3D book I worked on recently for your kind help.

Just let me know where to send~! If you can't reply personally I'll give my email address

• 10. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                            studio 3D Level 1

Ah, of course now that I've got that solved I've got another question about L/R files... should I start another thread, since this one is "answered"?

(thanks)

• 11. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's no harm in continuing the conversation on the existing thread.

• 12. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                studio 3D Level 1

OK, thanks...

So now the issue is how to handle the L and R files. Since they're in the main comp, they don't show up separately in the L and R eye comps (main comp is precomposed) to turn them on or off. So I think we have to put the L file in the Left Eye Comp, and R in R. But all the parameters of each file has to be exactly the same, so my idea is to do the work (keyframes, effects) on say the L file, then copy and paste it into the R eye comp. Then do a replace footage (with R file). But I don't see an option to replace footage in comp layer... ? (Hope this is clear?)

• 13. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                  studio 3D Level 1

I'm not getting any help, maybe because the original question is answered... ? I guess I do need a new thread...

• 14. Re: create stereo rig not long enough

If you need left and right eye movies you render the left and right eye comps. Simple as that.

If you need other forms of interlaced you render your stereo rig with the appropriate settings. Simple as that.

• 15. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                      studio 3D Level 1

Thanks Rick, but...

I would like to be able to see the stereo as I'm working. I've got to apply the exact same keyframes and effects to both L and R eye footage.

With just 3D layers, I can preview stereo fine. But to introduce L and R files, they would have to be separately inserted (in exactly the same places) in the L and R eye comps.

That's why I thought doing all the setup on the L file in L eye comp, copy paste to to R eye comp, then somehow swap out the footage (replace w R eye file). Then I'd have the L and R separately in the L eye and R eye comps, and can preview the effects in 3D.

(And I know when all looks good, I can separately render the L and R comps)

• 16. Re: create stereo rig not long enough

You should not be applying keyframes in the left and right eye comps. You keyframe your master comp. If you do any thing else your 3D is fouled up.

You must understand the 3D workflow. Each shot you take with a 3D camera, I'm talking either a twin lens or a pair of synced cameras, must be processed separately. Then you build your 3D world in the master comp and you do not touch the left and right eye comps. If you try and insert 3D elements in the Left and Right eye comps you are, 1, making a ton of work for yourself that you do not need to do, and 2, destroying any convergence solutions that sell the stereo effect. The only thing that would be in the left eye and right eye comp that is not in the main comp is the left and right eye footage from a stereo camera.

Please research your workflow... You are making things way to difficult.

BTW, I worked on my first Stereo photography project in 1976 using gear designed by Chris Concon, the real father of modern stereo cinematography. The techniques have not changed.

• 17. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                          studio 3D Level 1

Hi, Rick...

Yes, I knew Chris Condon...  Made all his money on Stewardesses, single strip stereo. I've got a promo kit with sample film strips...

I actually do stereoscopic imaging for a living, but mostly stills... I've done some Kens Burns type work in various editors, currently Sony Vegas which is very 3D friendly (unlike Premiere).

Of course, After Effects offers a lot of 3D opportunities, but I can't seem to figure out how to incorporate stereo stills. Normally I'd zoom and pan, and maybe even play with the parallax as I zoom. But not being able to view in 3D as I work (either in anaglyph or side by side) is a handicap! What I'm actually doing is making a promotional video for the National Stereoscopic Convention which is next year in Salt Lake City.

So I really appreciate connection with someone that understands 3D... of course, I'm looking for a smooth workflow. I hope you understand what I'm trying to do, but maybe it's not possible. But it should be!

(For one, I'm not sure why I can't work with the layers in the L and R eye comps. They're comps, right?)

I'm offline on Sunday, I hope we can connect next week.

• 18. Re: create stereo rig not long enough

Let me see if I can explain this.

If you have stereo pairs then import say the right eye to your main comp as a background so you can see it. Make that layer 3D.

Add your 3D layers to the main comp.

Next, create your 3D stereo rig.

In the main comp animate the Master Camera. When it looks good, then turn off the visibility of the stereo pair in the main comp and check the look of the project in the final comp.

Now add the left eye and right eye images from your stereo pairs to the left and right eye comps, leave them at the origin, and make them 3D. You should be good to go. You will have the left and right stereo pairs working as they should and animating the camera will let you zoom and pan around on the images. You can set up a new viewer so the project is easy to judge. I hope this helps. Here's a sample comp using CC using fake left and right pairs created with the grid effect on solids. Here's the etlat (edit this look at that) setup I would use.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 10.49.21 PM.png

• 19. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                              studio 3D Level 1

Thanks Rick...

Makes sense, but-

On this Pair sample, there's no keyframing. So if I wanted keyframing, I'd keyframe the R eye view in Main Comp, then apply the keyframes to L and R views in L and R comps. If I wanted to add another stereo pair, I'd do the same, but instead of at point of origin, maybe to point of timeline cursor (if it's at beginning of second pair in Main comp).

• 20. Re: create stereo rig not long enough
                                                studio 3D Level 1

Rick...

I'm thinking that After Effects is just to convoluted to use with stereo pairs, so I'm going back to Sony Vegas to edit this little vid. I can render out any moving camera or other AE fx and add it to the timeline there. Everything is extremely easy to preview (it makes stereo subclips of pairs) so all can be pan/zoomed as as one.

I do appreciate you working with me and would be glad to send you a book Thanks.