12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 1:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?

hollanditus Level 1

Hi,

I see different post about Organizer not being able to generate thumpnails from gopro-files. But they are all quit technical... So is there (going to be) an easy solution to make these files visible in adobe Organizer? Or which programm would be a good alternative for Organizer (wich I only use for video)?

Thanks for any advice.

Robert

• 1. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

What version of Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer is involved and on what computer operating system?

What is the video compression and file extension of the GoPro files involved. What is the model and settings for the GoPro camera that recorded the .mp4 video? Have you found an alternative GoPro recording format that does present with first frame in the Elements Organizer thumbnail?

You probably have but I will ask anyway - if you right click the thumbnail for the GoPro .mp4 in the Elements Organizer and select Update Thumbnail, does it then show the first frame of the video in the thumbnail? Have you deleted the settings file for the Elements Organizer? Have you tried to create a new catalog?

Have you reported this in any earlier thread here?

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
            hollanditus Level 1

sorry, I missed your answer AT. Thnks for your help. I will get back on it

as soon as possible.

Robert

Met vriendelijke groet,

Robert Niessen

06-49 39 63 86

www.robertniessen.nl

2014-06-14 1:41 GMT+02:00 A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in

Organizer?  created by A.T. Romano

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in Premiere Elements - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6457561#6457561>

• 3. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

We will be watching for your follow up when you get the chance.

Please do not include contact information in your posts in order to avoid nuisances.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                hollanditus Level 1
                • operating system: windows 8.1
                • premiere elements 12
                • Organizer 12; when I update a gopro-thumbnail the image stays black
                • videofiles are gopro( hero3+ black edition): mp.4, 1920x1080, 50fr/sec, pal
                • I have not deleted the settings file for Elements Organizer (since I do not know what this means).
                • I have not mentioned this in an earlier thread.

Robert

• 5. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

A few things that we can do to see if they have any impact on Elements Organizer 12 behavior.

1. If you have not already, update the Premiere Elements 12 as well as Elements Organizer 12 to 12.1, using

Help Menu/Update. When the Update is completed, there should be the 12.1 notation at the beginning of the

Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements and Help Menu/About Elements Organizer.

2. The Elements Organizer. You can create a new catalog (that does not mean get rid of the old, just create a new one

and designate the new one as the Current catalog. See Elements Organizer 12 File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager).

Also, the shortcut for deleting the Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf) is as follows....

a. In the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys of the computer main keyboard as you click/hold

click on the Organizer tab at the bottom of that Expert workspace. Hold the click for about 10 seconds. Then release that click (still

holding down on Ctrl+Alt+Shift). You should see a pop up requesting permission to delete the settings file (psa.prf). Click Yes. If any problems

getting the shortcut to work, use the longer way....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf (settings file) that you can disable or delete. To disable, change the name from psa.prf

to psa.prfOLD. Best to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete

path cited.

3. Background Information. Even though you are having problems with the file's thumbnails in the Elements Organizer

a. Can you play back the file there?

b. Can you import the file (as source media) into the Premiere Elements Expert workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                    hollanditus Level 1

Hello ATR,

1+ 2: I tried your suggestions above, but still only black thumbnails for my gopro-mp4-files....

3. A. yes I can play-back all thumbnails

3.B. yes, I can import files into Prem.elements form the elements organizer workspcace.

About importing the files: when Organizer starts importing gopro-mp4 files than you can see the actual thumnails in the import-box, as soon when the files are in the Organizer index, then these files are black.

Hope you can help me out.

Robert

• 7. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

I do not recall if I asked, so

Are the Elements Organizer 12 black thumbnails only from GoPro 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second AVCHD.mp4 files?

What happens if you set your camera to record at 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced or 25 progressive frames per second and import those into Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer, still black thumbnails for these in the Elements Organizer?

I am remembering a recent thread on .mts files in the Elements Organizer Mac. I am going to see if I can find it.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                        hollanditus Level 1

Hello Romano,

Meanwhile I tried several GOPRO formats (25/50 frs; superwide, wide, etc) still black thumbnails in Organizer. And still it would be very convenient to organize all my files in one application.

Is it just me/my situation, or is it the case that Organizer cannot handle Go pro files?

Thanks for any help,

Robert

• 9. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

You wrote

Is it just me/my situation, or is it the case that Organizer cannot handle Go pro files?

I have some GoPro AVCHD.mp4 files (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second/AAC Stereo), and

every time I try to import them into Elements Organizer 12/12.1, the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 shuts down. I am surprised

you can get them to import into your Elements Organizer 12/12.1 even to get only black thumbnails.

On this same computer (Windows 7 64 bit), I have installed Elements Organizer 11. And, I have no problems importing these same

GoPro files into Elements Organizer 11. So, it does not seem justified to invoke a missing codec theory to explain

this Elements Organizer 12 behavior.

I will take a look at Elements Organizer 12/12.1 and those GoPro samples in Windows 8.1 64 bit in a few hours and report back on

the results.

I do not have any copy of Premiere Elements 13 purchased on my computer yet. I would rather work with it versus the tryout on matters

such as these. I should have the purchased Premiere Elements 13 soon, and I will compare its Elements Organizer 13 behavior in detail.

(Elements Organizer 13 is new as compared to that which came with earlier versions.)

ATR

• 10. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

The rest of my story.

If I take the same GoPro videos (from Elements Organizer Windows 7 64 bit evaluation) and import them into Elements Organizer 11 and 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit....

a. The Elements Organizer 11 displays image in thumbnail for all automatically. And, the video can be played back in the Elements Organizer 11 player (video with audio).

b. The Elements Organizer 12 (Windows 8.1 64 bit) does not shut down when the GoPro video is imported; however, there is no image in thumbnail that is supposed to represent the video. But, if you double click its Elements Organizer 12 thumbnail, the file will play back (video and audio) in the Elements Organizer 12 player.

However.....In Windows 8.1 64 bit - Elements Organizer 12

a. If you change the file extension of the GoPro.mp4 to .mov, the video imported into the Elements Organizer 12 will present with image after you right click

the thumbnail and select Update Thumbnail.

Please give that a try and see if that works for you in Elements Organizer 12/12.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 11. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                              hollanditus Level 1

Finaly, changing the file extension mp4 into .mov works fine!

One question about that: does changing the extension influence in any way the file itself or the way premiere handles this file?  What else are video convertors from mov to mp4 for?

Thanks al lot,

Robert

• 12. Re: Is there an easy way to make mp4 (gopro)thumbnails visible in Organizer?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

hollanditus

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that renaming the .mp4 file extension to .mov got those files to import with image containing thumbnails.

The file extension just represents a format that the file uses to wrap/contain the video and audio compression of a particular file video/audio file. The video and audio compressions remain the same but are wrapped with a different format. The container format can often determine whether or not a file imports into a program.

One example with regard to Premiere Elements, .mod files, often have to have the file extension changed from .mod to .mpg (the MPEG2 video compression of the file is not re-encoded)

Typically we see video converters converting from one video compression or audio compression, but there can be times that the file extension (wrapper/container format) gets changed along with everything else. I came across the following online article on video compression and containers.

Not sure if you have been through the details presented in the article.

All About Video Codecs and Containers | TechHive

Please let us know if you are OK with the information above.

Thank you.

ATR