14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 1:33 PM by BoJo0000

Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running

grbaker

Hi there!

I have an issue with Premiere Elements 12.1 constantly connecting to the Internet when running... it looks like it is either trying to connect to something or downloading something.

Premiere runs OK, but it is very slow: this is due to it trying to connect. (We've proved this by running the program without the Internet disabled... it sits at about 13,000K in memory... and works fine).

Anybody got any idea why it is connecting to the Internet in the first place and how we can stop it doing it.

We believe this issue started when we updated to v 12.1... but can't be sure!

We have tried uninstalling and re-installing it... same problem. We're virus checked till all night... nothing found (no root kits, nothing etc.)

We're running Win XP Service Pack 3, 32 bit... I know 'Windows XP is old etc. etc. etc.'. Yet it still works great and is nice and fast for us here.

Any advice/suggestions greatly received!

Thanks in advance,

GRBaker

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
          grbaker Level 1

Update on this... I have now uninstalled everything (Photoshop Elements 12.1 + Premiere Elements 12.1), run the Adobe CleanUp tool (AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe), reinstalled just Premiere 12, updated to 12.1.

I still have the same issue: Premiere Elements 12 is still constantly trying to download something or access something.

Anybody got any ideas at all please? It's extremely frustrating not being able to use the product because of this.

Thanks in advance,

GRBaker

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is likely the connection to Revel, Adobe's cloud storage.

You can disconnect your link to Revel by going to the preferences in Premiere Elements and the Elements Organizer (under the Edit menus in Windows) and signing out or turning off the Revel connection.

Although the program will only need to connect to the internet for a while -- just until it's uploaded and downloaded your Revel files -- and then it will calm down and only connect when you add new files. Usually within the first day or so.

If it's still trying to connect to the internet after you've uninstalled the programs, try rebooting to clear the processes.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
              grbaker Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply... I don't have a Revel account that I am aware of and it's set to 'off'.

I have signed in and out again... and left the Revel preferneces Page set as follows:

Premiere_Bug_Revel_Screen_Capture_13-06-14.jpg

No luck... Premiere is still going mad with the Internet every time I run it! Will try a re-boot (although doing that hasn't helped so far!)

There has to be something wrong here, it surely shouldn't be connecting to the Internet like this..?

Thanks again - I'm at a complete loss as to how to precede.

Regards,

GRBaker

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                grbaker Level 1

OK... did a cold boot (turn off and on again... rather than a re-start) and no difference... (well, except now I have the Revel File Process running at start up, which I didn't have before... ).

At this point I'll try anything!

Cheers,

GRBaker

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>now I have the Revel File Process running at start up

Before I moved to Win7 I used StartUp Control Panel - Download

As always with "free" sites be careful which link you click so you don't get a lot of crapware

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                    grbaker Level 1

Hi there John,

I have a program that let's me turn and off what's running at start up... problem is that Adobe reinstates some of their TSRs! So you set them to off... and they come back again at next boot... I'm having this issue with ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe . I'm not sure if the Revel TSR will come back again... it's annoying restarting when you're watching this forum to see if anybody has any info!

Adobe seem to say that the 21.1 update fixes the issue with Elements Auto Analyzer... it's not working for me and that's for sure... Auto Analyzer just keeps coming back. Makes no difference if you use the Organizer Preferences to stop Media-Analysis either: it always loads at startup.

Anyway, I'm digressing away from my main issue here.

I still can't get Premiere to function without sending info out on the 'net: I've tried Windows Firewall (next to useless frankly) but this is not stopping it; so it looks like Premiere is generating outbound traffic (or trying to) and not inbound traffic. This actually makes it all the more alarming!

I'm worried about running it, as I don't know what it's up to... if you know what I mean...

Cheers the reply - if I fix it or manage to stop it I will post what I did here - all the best,

GRBaker

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                      grbaker Level 1

P.S. See this for the auto anaylzer issue:

http://barbarabrundage.com/2013/10/31/the-elements-12-auto-analyzer-adobes-evil-undead/

I'm sure that software developers think they are helping people with all these processes running in the background! From my perspective, they just eat resources and slow my PC down... I wish developers would provide ways to turn these on when they are needed and off when they are not.

Anyway, moan over,

GRB

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                        grbaker Level 1

OK... bit more info for anybody who reads this... I have trapped the IP addresses Premiere is connecting to and the seem to be from cloudfront.net.

This helped me to find this thread:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1286200

The first post on this thread contains the 'correct answer' as follows:

"

Correct Answer by richjberke on Sep 6, 2013 7:25 AM

I tried and found a somewhat devious workaround:  Add a dummy entry in my own host file for static.photoshop.com

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1   static.photoshop.com

PSE now starts without the lag.  (my PC rejects my own attempt to get a TCP port 80 session.)

I haven't found yet what that might break that I would be unhappy about.... for now I'm happy with the quick startup.

"

I have tried this and it does in fact stop Premiere from calling out to cloudfront (don't ask me how it works)... I'm testing it now and if there's no issue I'll post again.

GLA,

GRB

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                          grbaker Level 1

Quick update... the above method does appear to work for anybody experiencing the same issue of Elements Premiere/Photoshop constantly trying to connect to the Internet whilst they run.

I would still like to know why exactly the Elements software needs to constantly connect, when you have all of the sharing/cloud storage stuff switched off.

Regards,

GRB

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                            grbaker Level 1

I have discovered an issue with the above method: if you need to download anything from within the program (like an instant movie theme or template) it will fail, as it cannot connect to the CloudFront Servers.

So while the above method does make the program run OK, it gets in the way of what will be key features for some.

So it's a workaround really, but not a complete solution...

If anybody knows why Elements is trying to download from Cloudfront, please do post it here.

Thanks and kind regards,

GRB.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                              grbaker Level 1

Another quick update... just on the off chance I have left Premiere Elements 12.1 running overnight, to see if it will 'finish' whatever it's doing (or trying to do while connecting to the Internet).

Woke up to find it had stopped. Rebooted and ran Premiere... no luck.. off it went again, trying to connect to CloudFront.

Photoshop Elements 12.1 also started doing the same thing, but Photoshop has been able to finish what it was doing and now runs great (although it is still connecting to the Internet for a short while when I run it). (Revel, Adobe Partner Services and Media-Analysis are all set to off within the Organizer, Premiere Elements 12.1 and Photoshop Elements 12.1 - I personally don't need any of them at present and am therefore not using any of them... plus this helps to maximize system resources for me).

**** This IMHO is definitely a bug ****

Premiere either can't find what it is looking for on CloudFront or is failing to access the server correctly and gets stuck in a loop trying to do so over and over again.

I don't know if anybody else has had this issue, but I have reported it to Adobe: they have promised to call be back when they have had a chance to look into it. I'll post if I get any more info or find a way around it; that doesn't stop downloads from working within the program when you need them.

(It seems to generate the call to CloudFront when the program starts/initializes, so one method might be to disconnect your Internet when Premiere boots and then re-connect it after a few minutes).

Anyway it's all very annoying, especially as Premiere runs great when it's not going mad with the Internet!

Kind regards and GLA,

GRB.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If it's a bug, then everyone would be experiencing it. I not only don't have that problem, but my computer goes to sleep if I don't do anything on it for 15-20 minutes.

But if you're sure it's a bug, it may be worth contacting Adobe Tech Support. They'll be able to walk you through some troubleshooting.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                                  grbaker Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks a bunch for the post... we're certainly experiencing no other issues besides the 'downloading' issue on Premiere... various virus/spyware etc. scans have revealed nothing. There's nothing odd in the Startup or process list...

PC operates entirely as normal... no unusual performance lags/Internet disconnections etc. No issues with other software, so far, after installing Elements.

So we're currently leaving the program on to 'download' (or whatever it is doing), so it could be that it will eventually stop constantly accessing the Internet.

We are already in contact with Adobe and they are keeping pretty tight-lipped about what it might be doing... saying (so far) only that Photoshop Elements/Premiere 12 does connect to CloudFront to 'download fonts'... (they were also basically indicating they thought it was our PC/a faulty install until we mentioned we knew it was CloudFront it was trying to connect to...)

...if the applications need to download stuff, then all Adobe has to say is 'it's perfectly normal, just wait for it to complete' then we would not be worried! All it needs is a simple notice to say that 'some additional downloads are required': give us a progress bar or something... no problem!

I can't think why else it would be connecting to the Internet???? (Well, a couple do come to mind..!)

We did pay for the download version of the software (we don't have physical installation DVDs) from one of Adobe's Registered resellers, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I suspect you are 100% correct and that it isn't in fact a bug, bit simply some additional data/content that needs to download etc. If this is the case, then maybe it is related to our broadband speed (which can variable as we live in a rural location).

As you say, if it was a bug everybody would have it! There is that thread I mentioned above, but that's for a previous version of elements I think... to me, as the user experiencing the issue, it definitely looks like a bug as it's rendering the software unstable!

Most likely it's just our bad luck and there's something specific to my installation that's tripping the software and causing the issue. I suppose it depends how you define 'bug'... if it's a normal operation of the software that just happens to disagreeing with my system... than Adobe would say 'that's not a bug'... but I would say 'it's a bug as it causes this problem'. It simply a question of perspective!

Anyway, it's mystifying to me: the software runs GREAT, when it's not trying to access the Internet. It's weird. You certainly can't complain, for price, it really is excellent software!

Cheers,

GRB

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Constantly Connecting To The Internet When Running
                                    BoJo0000

I noticed this behaviour on a fresh install and here are my findings, since there's no real answer yet and other people might stumble across this using google.

Premiere populates the folder "%programdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Online" with templates and sound effects. The download weighs in at 1.7GB and will take quite a while to complete on a slow connection.

If it never completes I'd check the HDD for remaining free space and possible file system problems.

Why these files are not included in the initial download/DVD is anyone's guess. It seems to be mandatory after all.

@Adobe The fact this download happens without ANY visible feedback to the user is unexcusable and needs a fix.